Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me why Chicago is......

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jehende
    replied
    If you want a career in law enforcement and you are anxious...start at Chicago. They are down more manpower than what is said in the media. My advice is to apply everywhere....especially out of state. If you want this career you have to leave those options open. There are big departments in need of police officers (recommend to look at Texas too). Some departments are more picky than others...thats why you apply everywhere you can.

No disrespect, but if your a felon or have a violent background...you can pretty much forget about especially with the events going on today.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw1
    replied
    The Sun-Times article pretty much spells it out. It's very detailed:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics...-hiring-surge/

The rate that they (CPD) are hiring now is barely keeping up with attrition. Remember they nearly exhausted a list of 12,700+ candidates that passed the DEC 2013 test from 20,000 initial apps placed. That was when people still wanted to be the police. Testing every 2 years is going to be commonplace IMO.

They want to cut the "pre-employment" part of the process from 6 months down to 2 and they hint about replacing the outdated academy/training center where finding parking and not getting ticketed/towed is like winning the lottery haha. When I was growing up you would had to wait 5-6 years to hear about a test. This is a very different time.
    Last edited by southpaw1; 10-18-2016, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cpd2010*
    replied
    Originally posted by littleguy View Post
    No one is perfect. I had a BI tell me he graduated from WW college. I just thought to myself you know they're not accredited............just keep your credit good and balance debt low, avoid criminal arrest, keep your driving record clean or moving violation clear of at least seven years. Stay with your current job at least 5 to 7 years. The key is to be honest and consistent. Good luck guys / girls!
    This is true to the letter. I test way back when. I went through the whole process tested twice for power test. I even recv'd a COOE letter. After several months I was DQ'ed bc of an ex co worker that I never even worked with before who gave a FALSE statement to my BI. On top of that the place I left was shut down for stealing client funds and lost their licence to practice law was the reason I left that job. Still I was DQ'd. They also came up with I had to much student loan debt, 16k at that time is what I owned for college. My bg is college educated (3) degrees, Paralegal at 3 firms with outstanding records including working at a trustees office which is hard to get. yet still DQ'ed. IMO Chicago hires family of officers and ppl with large hooks. Now perhaps its not all the time but for the MOST part it is.

Leave a comment:

• littleguy
    replied
    Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
    Exactly. Start with the search of "Can I Still Be A Cop If (insert your indiscretion here)".
    Any driving / traffic issues, an arrest (even without a conviction), neighbors, co-workers, supervisors, teachers, school administrators who give the applicant a thumbs-down, etc. I had a (seemingly) squeaky clean candidate once; after speaking to a former supervisor, I learned that he had an ex-girlfriend. She led me to several of his other ex-whatevers and they all threw him under the bus as a person who psychologically abuses and threatens people. He had never been arrested and hadn't received a traffic citation since he was a teenager. I then went to the guidance office at his old high school; when the guidance counselor told me to close the door and called the assistant principal in, I saw a red-flag there.

After interviewing several teachers and everyone else at the school, I knew this guy was at the very least a sociopath. We had a provision for a psychological exam back then and sent him to see the shrink and that was the DQ factor that I needed to end his career before it started.
    They may not interview well, they may not have any juice, they may not have scored as well, it can be for any number of reasons.

No one is perfect. I had a BI tell me he graduated from WW college. I just thought to myself you know they're not accredited............just keep your credit good and balance debt low, avoid criminal arrest, keep your driving record clean or moving violation clear of at least seven years. Stay with your current job at least 5 to 7 years. The key is to be honest and consistent. Good luck guys / girls!

Leave a comment:

• Fritter
    replied
    Rahm "said" back in JUL that they will drop the $30 fee to attract more minorities. To run the exam costs the city about 1.5M. With 14,234 applicants having paid to take the exam this year, it doesn’t come close to covering the cost.

Instead of raising the fee to help cover the cost like a good fiscal manager (or finding ways to cut the costs), he will let the citizens of Chicago take the hit for a purely political ploy on his part. Its as close as you can get to buying a vote without handing people money.

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Read ANY of the one million answers posted to that question on this forum. What do YOU think..?
    Exactly. Start with the search of "Can I Still Be A Cop If (insert your indiscretion here)".
    Originally posted by Rnelson View Post
    What are some causes one would be bounced from the background check?
    Any driving / traffic issues, an arrest (even without a conviction), neighbors, co-workers, supervisors, teachers, school administrators who give the applicant a thumbs-down, etc. I had a (seemingly) squeaky clean candidate once; after speaking to a former supervisor, I learned that he had an ex-girlfriend. She led me to several of his other ex-whatevers and they all threw him under the bus as a person who psychologically abuses and threatens people. He had never been arrested and hadn't received a traffic citation since he was a teenager. I then went to the guidance office at his old high school; when the guidance counselor told me to close the door and called the assistant principal in, I saw a red-flag there.

After interviewing several teachers and everyone else at the school, I knew this guy was at the very least a sociopath. We had a provision for a psychological exam back then and sent him to see the shrink and that was the DQ factor that I needed to end his career before it started.
    What do you think about the people getting bounced that have spotless records??
    They may not interview well, they may not have any juice, they may not have scored as well, it can be for any number of reasons.

Last edited by slamdunc; 10-18-2016, 11:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rnelson
    replied
    What do you think about the people getting bounced that have spotless records??

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Read ANY of the one million answers posted to that question on this forum. What do YOU think..?

Leave a comment:

• Rnelson
    replied
    What are some causes one would be bounced from the background check?

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Originally posted by Corsell View Post

There will be a fee. I think it was $30 last time but I am not sure.
    And now you know WHY. See? Easy.

Leave a comment:

• Corsell
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Do you pay a fee for testing?
    There will be a fee. I think it was $30 last time but I am not sure.

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by HI629 View Post
    Of the 8,000 plus candidates, how many are actually "viable"?
    ^^This is the reason^^

When they do the percentages, they likely need at least 200 candidates for every position they are going to fill. So many of these people will be eliminated through the interview process and many more during backgrounds. Even though the city has 'lowered the bar', there is still a shortage of qualified, viable candidates.

Leave a comment:

• HI629
    replied
    Opening up another exam when they have 8,000 plus candidates in a pool as it is? That should be enough bodies for 5 years one would think.....
    Of the 8,000 plus candidates, how many are actually "viable"?

Leave a comment:

• Fritter
    replied
    Doesn't make any sense
    Anybody that works in large govt knows that nothing makes sense. If something does, that’s just weird.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Do you pay a fee for testing?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7433 users online. 336 members and 7097 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X