Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me why Chicago is......

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
    Exactly. Start with the search of "Can I Still Be A Cop If (insert your indiscretion here)".
    Any driving / traffic issues, an arrest (even without a conviction), neighbors, co-workers, supervisors, teachers, school administrators who give the applicant a thumbs-down, etc. I had a (seemingly) squeaky clean candidate once; after speaking to a former supervisor, I learned that he had an ex-girlfriend. She led me to several of his other ex-whatevers and they all threw him under the bus as a person who psychologically abuses and threatens people. He had never been arrested and hadn't received a traffic citation since he was a teenager. I then went to the guidance office at his old high school; when the guidance counselor told me to close the door and called the assistant principal in, I saw a red-flag there.

After interviewing several teachers and everyone else at the school, I knew this guy was at the very least a sociopath. We had a provision for a psychological exam back then and sent him to see the shrink and that was the DQ factor that I needed to end his career before it started.
    They may not interview well, they may not have any juice, they may not have scored as well, it can be for any number of reasons.

No one is perfect. I had a BI tell me he graduated from WW college. I just thought to myself you know they're not accredited............just keep your credit good and balance debt low, avoid criminal arrest, keep your driving record clean or moving violation clear of at least seven years. Stay with your current job at least 5 to 7 years. The key is to be honest and consistent. Good luck guys / girls!

Comment

Originally posted by littleguy View Post
      No one is perfect. I had a BI tell me he graduated from WW college. I just thought to myself you know they're not accredited............just keep your credit good and balance debt low, avoid criminal arrest, keep your driving record clean or moving violation clear of at least seven years. Stay with your current job at least 5 to 7 years. The key is to be honest and consistent. Good luck guys / girls!
      This is true to the letter. I test way back when. I went through the whole process tested twice for power test. I even recv'd a COOE letter. After several months I was DQ'ed bc of an ex co worker that I never even worked with before who gave a FALSE statement to my BI. On top of that the place I left was shut down for stealing client funds and lost their licence to practice law was the reason I left that job. Still I was DQ'd. They also came up with I had to much student loan debt, 16k at that time is what I owned for college. My bg is college educated (3) degrees, Paralegal at 3 firms with outstanding records including working at a trustees office which is hard to get. yet still DQ'ed. IMO Chicago hires family of officers and ppl with large hooks. Now perhaps its not all the time but for the MOST part it is.
      Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

Comment

The Sun-Times article pretty much spells it out. It's very detailed:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics...-hiring-surge/

The rate that they (CPD) are hiring now is barely keeping up with attrition. Remember they nearly exhausted a list of 12,700+ candidates that passed the DEC 2013 test from 20,000 initial apps placed. That was when people still wanted to be the police. Testing every 2 years is going to be commonplace IMO.

They want to cut the "pre-employment" part of the process from 6 months down to 2 and they hint about replacing the outdated academy/training center where finding parking and not getting ticketed/towed is like winning the lottery haha. When I was growing up you would had to wait 5-6 years to hear about a test. This is a very different time.
        Last edited by southpaw1; 10-18-2016, 03:38 PM.

Comment

If you want a career in law enforcement and you are anxious...start at Chicago. They are down more manpower than what is said in the media. My advice is to apply everywhere....especially out of state. If you want this career you have to leave those options open. There are big departments in need of police officers (recommend to look at Texas too). Some departments are more picky than others...thats why you apply everywhere you can.

No disrespect, but if your a felon or have a violent background...you can pretty much forget about especially with the events going on today.

Comment

Originally posted by Rnelson View Post
            What do you think about the people getting bounced that have spotless records??
            NOBODY has a "spotless" record. With enough digging, there will be "dirt" found.
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post

NOBODY has a "spotless" record. With enough digging, there will be "dirt" found.
              I can, I have never committed a crime, never been arrested, done any kind of drug or committed any illegal offences. I graduated college in the 1% tile and have honorees to prove it. I have been drug tested 15 times in my life and currently work at a sheriff dept in NW burbs. I turned down Cook, worked at IDOC and currently in my new position. There are people that do have spotless records, although rare, they exist.

Comment

A lot current officers are retiring. There was a large hiring phase in the late 80's those officers now have enough time on the job to retire with a full pension. Plus there was another one in the 90's and those officers may leave after 20 years and start a new career etc. The department needs to keep up with those retiring officers. Plus it takes about 1-2 years to get hired, people who took the last test may pass on taking the IPT, due to another job offer, change of plans, etc. Also you now have to be 18 to take the test so people who were underage the last test, can now take the test. Basically things are always changing. Plus the department has not be full force since the 90's, we could easily use another 2,000 coppers now!

Comment

Originally posted by cpd2010* View Post

I can, I have never committed a crime, never been arrested, done any kind of drug or committed any illegal offences. I graduated college in the 1% tile and have honorees to prove it. I have been drug tested 15 times in my life and currently work at a sheriff dept in NW burbs. I turned down Cook, worked at IDOC and currently in my new position. There are people that do have spotless records, although rare, they exist.
                  With enough digging there is sure to be "something" that is at least "questionable" in your past, or with people you currently associate with.

Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

With enough digging there is sure to be "something" that is at least "questionable" in your past, or with people you currently associate with.
                    So to that point, I don't have anything on my record except a few speeding tickets (over 5 years ago)....never been arrested, detained, never tried any drugs, etc. I don't even drink lol. I'm not just saying it to say it but it's to the point that it sounds like a flat out lie when I tell people that. I was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago and was pretty grounded. I learned through other people's mistakes. I'm not perfect by any means but I'm far from a hiring liability.

Okay so back to my point. The CPD polygrapher finally got something out of me. She asked "As a kid did you ever play on your neighbors' front lawn?" I said, yes. She said, well that's trespassing! I told her "Well ma'am...you got me there! As a 6 year old little kid I trespassed on my neighbors lawn". LOL. CPD was willing to overlook it and hire me hahah.
                    Last edited by southpaw1; 10-18-2016, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I had not even touched on this part yet, but friends and family can also be an issue. You choose who you hang with, not so much with your family, but either of these things can keep you out of a cop job.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post

So to that point, I don't have anything on my record except a few speeding tickets (over 5 years ago)....never been arrested, detained, never tried any drugs, etc. I don't even drink lol. I'm not just saying it to say it but it's to the point that it sounds like a flat out lie when I tell people that. I was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago and was pretty grounded. I learned through other people's mistakes. I'm not perfect by any means but I'm far from a hiring liability.

Okay so back to my point. The CPD polygrapher finally got something out of me. She asked "As a kid did you ever play on your neighbors' front lawn?" I said, yes. She said, well that's trespassing! I told her "Well ma'am...you got me there! As a 6 year old little kid I trespassed on my neighbors lawn". LOL. CPD was willing to overlook it and hire me hahah.
                        Wouldn't be trespassing if your neighbor gave you permission.

What's your point?

Comment

Six year olds can't commit a crime. Try again.
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

That is the way police think. Something has to be wrong bc its to perfect. I am telling you other then my parents being divorced I am clean as a whistle. Limited friends, went through summers taking extra classes to finish college in 3 years . Didnt do spring break like other students. I guess for some people its hard to believe that a person can be clean of drama.

Comment

Originally posted by cpd2010* View Post

That is the way police think. Something has to be wrong bc its to perfect. I am telling you other then my parents being divorced I am clean as a whistle. Limited friends, went through summers taking extra classes to finish college in 3 years . Didnt do spring break like other students. I guess for some people its hard to believe that a person can be clean of drama.
                              Feeling special now? Want a cookie?

You think you're "clean as a whistle", big deal. My point is that if an agency wants to DQ an applicant, there's stuff to be found.

Right now, your attitude seems a bit telling. Seems like you need to make a point of how "flawless" you are. This could be construed as a personality deficiency.

Comment

How about those "Contact Cards" being stop by police does that look bad?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5743 users online. 179 members and 5564 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X