300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cook County Sheriff

anyone here planning on waiting in line this Saturday at 26th/California for an application ? also anyone know the difference between a correctional officer and a deputy sheriff ?

Originally posted by Machito
    anyone here planning on waiting in line this Saturday at 26th/California for an application ? also anyone know the difference between a correctional officer and a deputy sheriff ?
    Already work for county. Its an alright job, but a great stepping stone to police departments. A Correctional Officer works at the jail while a Deputy Sheriff works at the courthouses.

Correctional Officer=Jail Guard
    Deputy Sheriff=Court Bailiff

Now this will really blow your mind. The Deputy Sheriffs at the courthouses take the state Correctional Officer exam in order to be state certified. Technically in Cook County, a Correctional Officer is also a Deputy Sheriff as everyone is sworn in the same regardless of work location. So a Correctional Officer is just a Deputy Sheriff assigned to the jail with a different title. If you think this is confusing, wait till you get on the job. Good luck!

P.S. Those who get applications this saturday need to know two things.

1. Unless you are going to Rolling Meadows, be prepared to wait in a long line. Especially at 26th/California and Maywood.
    2. The applications will no longer give you the option of choosing to apply for Correctional Officer or Deputy Sheriff. The application just states that you are seeking employment with the county and will be considered for both jobs regardless of personal preference.
    WIISAD
    While invisible, I see and destroy.

Comment

Whats the deal with the $15 stamp thay mention in the ad? What time do you reccomend showing up if picking up at Rolling Meadows?

You mention CCDOC as a great stepping stone to police departments...Any other insight on this topic?

Thanks

Comment

Ill be going to Markham to pick up my app after work. I have my chair, and and PSP, DVD player already!! Is it possible to send someone to pick up the app for you or you have to be the one to pick it up? Aurora PD is holding orientation the same day cook county is handing out apps.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BigRuckuss
          You mention CCDOC as a great stepping stone to police departments...Any other insight on this topic?

Thanks
          When you work corrections you learn people skills that can save your behind in the streets. You can also observe and learn about the criminal element in a controlled environment. Plus if you never worked in LE before you will gain a familiarity with report writing, chain of command, radio operations and the like.
          My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

Whats the process for CCDOC......written/physical/psych/poly?

What time do you recommend showing up at Rolling Meados Courthouse for App pick up?

Comment

Whats the process for CCDOC......written/physical/psych/poly?

What time do you recommend showing up at Rolling Meados Courthouse for App pick up?
              I am curious about the process like you, but I think I might show up around 3 or 4 am to be on the safe side

Comment

Originally posted by Scott32
                I am curious about the process like you, but I think I might show up around 3 or 4 am to be on the safe side
                Aren't you going to the Aurora Orientation too?

Comment

Aren't you going to the Aurora Orientation too?
                  Can't do both, I heard the person who wants to apply has to pick it up themselves.

Comment

iflyaaord is correct. We're both the same thing - Deputy Sheriff's.. but this department and its long time Democratic machine control has turned it into more of a county clerk's office than the law enforcement office it ought to be.

But regardless of such.. the brass tax of this issue is that the distinction and confusion is made by the department itself. When it should all be one badge, one union, and no confusion.

Vote for change November 7th.

Comment

The process goes like this:
                      -First you pay the $15 and get the initial application where you fill out (either at the location or you deliver it in person to the CCSD Merit Board at 69 W. Washington) some general stuff (i.e. name, address, social security number, ever been arrested for a felony/domestic violence, etc.).
                      -Next you get a notice in the mail as to when and where you go to take the exam. This could arrive in early or mid-January most likely, depending on how many initial applications are filled out and returned to the CCSD Merit Board.
                      -Next, you take the test and hopefully pass. The test is pretty basic and should not be a problem, however there are those who will fail. Note, you do not get rated "Highly Qualified," or "Qualified." It is either you passed it or you did not pass it.
                      -If you pass the exam, you are then notified when and where you must go to take the fitness test. The notifications can come in early to mid-February, again, depending on how many people pass the exam and have to be notified; the more people who pass the more people who will need to be notified, and the more people who will need to take the fitness test. The fitness test is held at Morraine Valley College, unless they decide to use another location in conjunction to MVC this year. There will be paperwork you have to bring with you before you begin the fitness test, such as a letter from your doctor stating you will be able to handle the rigors of their fitness test, as well as another form that requests further information about your background, experience, etc. DO NOT FORGET TO BRING ANY OF THIS! If you do it is "adios amigo."
                      -During the fitness test, if you fail any part (the stepping test, push-ups, sit-ups, sit and reach, grip test, obstacle course, etc.) you are sent home immediately. I cannot tell you how many people were sent home after the stepping test last year, but this part of the test seemed to weed out many people.
                      -If you pass the fitness test, you are then notified by mail as to when you must appear for the drug test. This will usually take place about 15-30 days after the date of the fitness test. Also, be prepared to take a leak while you are being watched! There is always some hump who suffers from "stage fright" and is in the bathroom for 10-15 minutes while everyone else is waiting in line in the hallway.
                      -If you pass the drug test (you are usually notified within a week or so if you did or did not, but it could take up to two weeks) then you will be notified as to when you can come and pick up the pre-employment packet at the CCSD Merit Board at 69 W. Washington in the Loop. This consists of paperwork you must fill out (with a timeframe of usually 14 days to so) stating your residential history for the last ten years, employment for the last ten years, education, references, etc. You will also need to furnish your high school and college/university transcripts, plus at least 2 letters of recommendation. If you do not know your alderman, precinct captain, ward boss, etc. by now make a point of doing so. Remember: This is Cook County and it is usually not what you know, but who you know.
                      -When you deliver your pre-employment packet to the CCSD Merit Board completed (and they will go through it with a fine-toothed comb to make sure you did), you are assigned to a background investigator. Your background investigation could take anywhere from 2-5 months depending on how many places you have lived, how many jobs you have had, the extent of your education, if the investigator can track down all of your references, if the letters of recommendation were B.S., etc. Do not call the CCSD Merit Board phone number every week asking the status of your background check. THEY DO NOT LIKE THIS!
                      -Once your background check is done and found to be kosher, there will be a series of oral interviews you will have to complete and pass. Once you pass them you are then notified as to when you will need to report to the academy at Morraine Valley College or possibly another academy location.

If I have forgotten anything I am sure someone will be more than happy to add to this but this is pretty much it. Salud!

Comment

jfurman did a solid job at going over the process. And to think... all of that is JUST to get into the academy.. which then starts 13 weeks of hell. muahahahahah....

Comment

Can't do both, I heard the person who wants to apply has to pick it up themselves.
                          Scott32-

I just called the merit board, anybody can pick up an app, however only 1 app per person...

Comment

jfurman89-

Thanks for all the info...very informative.

I didn't notice anything about a psych evaluation or polygraph. Cook county does not do this???

Comment

Time????

So nobody has any recomendations for what time to show up, if picking up app at rolling meadows?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8800 users online. 389 members and 8411 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X