Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 hired, and 1 more conditionally... And they're up to number 20 already? Well I guess being just under the #200 mark isn't so bad at all!

Comment

Whats the big deal with Joliet? Is it that good of a department? When is the next time they are testing? Is it good $$$ ???

Comment

They won't be testing until '08. And YES. JPD is really a great PD. About the best money for coppers in IL. Top out now is at about $85,000 in 5 years, around $45,000 or $46,000 to start. You should look into it next test.

Comment

http://www.jolietpolice.org/Frames%2...Employment.htm this is a link to this information.
          Starting pay 35,623
          after 1 yr. 47,620
          2 years 58,144
          3 years 62,318

So that's base pay information from Joliet. Now that doesn't have overtime put in their so I can see 80,000 a year. However, You can't expect making 80 a year after the academy or in your first 2 years.

Comment

The pay scale is in the process of changing. During orientation, I was informed that you would receive:

$39,300 starting pay
            $52,500 after 1 year
            $67,400 after 4 years

I realize this isn't a comprehensive list, but this is what I was told. Anyone, please correct me if you have different information.

-Phil

Comment

Ouch, I thought they made better money. I think there must be a lot of "hidden" money in the contract casue that is not a good step salary. You get a take home squad BUT you have to live in Joliet, you can keep it.
              www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by livestrong6
                http://www.jolietpolice.org/Frames%2...Employment.htm this is a link to this information.
                Starting pay 35,623
                after 1 yr. 47,620
                2 years 58,144
                3 years 62,318

So that's base pay information from Joliet. Now that doesn't have overtime put in their so I can see 80,000 a year. However, You can't expect making 80 a year after the academy or in your first 2 years.
                Just FYI, that info is OLD. The newest contract went into effect in late '05 or early '06. Since then, the pay is much better. And Sgt's start at around $91,000 right now.

Comment

Thats also the information I got when I picked up an application. So if thats is wrong then its wrong. I highly doubt that Joliet is paying 80 in base pay when they top out at 62 now. Joliet is in the range of highes salaries but, two towns I tested for just this past mont Glenview and mundeline both top out at 73 in 5 years. To be honest money is not an issue for what departments you should test for. You will never get rich being a police officer.

why would you even be concern with sgt. salary when it can be 8-10 years before you can even get a chance to be a sgt. in joliet.

Comment

And I would not be too thrilled with the shift schedule out there. Being assigned to a relief shift for the first couple of years. Not knowwing what shift you will be on from week to week. On the other hand they seem to have a great group of guys and they do get a ton of calls!!
                    My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

Originally posted by livestrong6
                      why would you even be concern with sgt. salary when it can be 8-10 years before you can even get a chance to be a sgt. in joliet.
                      Maybe people have goals that they want to achieve unlike some!
                      "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

I wouldn't mind being chief one day, but that will take time to happen. Motivation and the desire to learn is a great tool for anyone. Short term goals are more attainable then long term goals. First you should make a goal to get hired by the a department. get into the academy,(pass the Power test), your next goal should be to learn the materials and skills taught at the academy, Next goal is to pass the exit power test at the academy, and the state test to become a police officer, your next goal should be to pass each phase of your field training. I think you get the picture lockedandloaded. At a large department you have to have patients and wait your turn to even take the test to be a SGT. Goals are nice to have but, realistic goals are even better to have.

Being the best police officer you can be should be your number 1 priority. Who cares what you make or your career goals are. If you are not respected by your fellow officers when you are just an officer. How much respect do you think you will get when you become a Sgt?
                        Last edited by livestrong6; 01-15-2007, 01:03 AM.

Comment

I think that's definitely true. No one would ever get respect by just having a mere title unless they act like the title that they've earned.

Are there educational requirements for Sgt.?

Comment

I think thats on a department by department bases for Sgt. requirements.

Comment

Joliet PD

I called the police and fire board last week. I was told that eight people were hired, and the next person up on the list for consideration would be #35. I have not heard any information regarding how many more will be hired this year. Although, I have heard that there may be one or two new sectors being created which would boost manpower. Just an update for those of us who are still waiting.

Comment

43...One of the people on this thread is on of the eight. He might be able to give more info if someone pm's him.
                                "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12722 users online. 476 members and 12246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X