Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cityblusuit
    replied
    [QUOTE=cclawdog]Just commenting on this sentance and going on a tangent. Would like to see more people happy to be HERE because it is so much worse in so many other places. If things were great in their own they would not be here to excercise the many rights we enjoy (including the right to protest) so many before them paid for in blood.
    Hey, welcome. Just do it like everyone else. My ancestors were treated like scum of the earth too before being accepted. In fact a lot of Irish, German, Pole, Italian, Jew ..etc etc were if you read your history books. But they were legal first.[QUOTE]

One of the rights we ALL enjoy in this country is the ability to protest and disagree. Those of us who truly believe in that will even defend someone's right to support and embrace an idea that we are funadmentally opposed to. Trust me, our detractors are VERY HAPPY to be here to complain. Getting arrested for disordly conduct or mob action certainly beats the alternative in another country. And I would agree all of our ancestors were treated like the scum of the earth, some more than others....our history books confirm that. And I submit that all of our ancestors with the exception of native and african americans, were here legally simply because the trans-oceanic hike from Europe to New York was a bear!!

I am a cop, we all either are or want to be, but before that we have to remember we are human beings. Of course things should be done legally. BUt the problem we are confronted with now as it relates to immigration is a problem has been allowed to get completely out of hand. THis isnt a conservative or liberal thing it aint a republican or democratic thing. This problem has been ignored and overlooked for decades. Everyone argues and points fingers at illegals for being here. Ask yourself!!! Why do they keep comig??? The answer is simple, all of us hardworking LEGAL Americans continue to provide a market that actively requires a ready pool of disposable people. Here in the Southwest that is especially obvious, every spanish speaking landscaper, bus boy, fruit and vegtable picker, domestic, hotel maid, fast food cook, drywaller, new home construction worker, day laborer, dry cleaning employee, and road builder is here based upon questionable immigration status. THey take jobs where they are employed at or below the prevailing wage and paid under the table. An often overlooked point is how many of those same people (illegals)are hired to work as subcontractors on government projects....like roads, building police stations, libraries and schools.

Where do they live, I guarantee they are not homeless they are living in properties, many of them owned by slumlandlords, AMERICANS who are here legally and have no problem taking their money and capitalizing off of their illegality.

How do they function, they get little cards from the Mexican Governemnt called Matricilar Consulr ID, with those cards they can open bank accounts and even apply for mortgages. Now in the state of Arizona they cannot get a drivers license without a SSN but they can purchase a car and get it registered / titled in their name provided they pay all of their costs.

How do they spend their money, just like you or I.....much of it they will send to Mexico in order to support their family and eventually save enough money to get them here so that they can be a ......FAMILY....the bedrock of american values. Their advertising dollar is so coveted that most every advertiser and corporate entity has whole divisions that seek the Latin dollar.... Mainstream and Electronic media has completely devoured the Latin Market and the american dollars they represent in SPANISH.

Faith ....they largely embrace Catholicsim and a growing number are embracing aspects of fundamentalist Christianity.

Our president was the Governor of a border state....he knows the magnitude of the problem 1st hand. Yet all of his actions have consisted of lip service....the same action of every president leading back to Roosevelt.

Arizona is a "right to work" state, it is a part of the State Constitution ....that means an employer can pay what he wants to who he wants....no unions....nothing.....If an american citizen is hired legit then the employer has to deal with prevailing wages, taxes, social security...etc. The illegal alien who has the skills but not the documentation will be paid less and under the table with no obligation. Who do you think the profit minded employer is gonna choose???

It is very easy to blame the mexicans for being here...because it certainly is not our fault for providing so many reasons to be here.

Leave a comment:

• Himso
    replied
    The protest was against President Bush, it was not a immigration protest. FYI, the immigration protests also included marchers that were Irish, Polish and others. The majority were Mexican.

Leave a comment:

• cclawdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Guido
    i don't get it, if people ain't happy in the U.S. they should just leave and see if they're afforded the same treatment/rights anywhere else.
    Just commenting on this sentance and going on a tangent. Would like to see more people happy to be HERE because it is so much worse in so many other places. If things were great in their own they would not be here to excercise the many rights we enjoy (including the right to protest) so many before them paid for in blood.
    Hey, welcome. Just do it like everyone else. My ancestors were treated like scum of the earth too before being accepted. In fact a lot of Irish, German, Pole, Italian, Jew ..etc etc were if you read your history books. But they were legal first.

Leave a comment:

• cityblusuit
    replied
    Originally posted by Five-O
    Is that why your great grand parents and their parents did not do the same?
    What does a Bush Rally have to do with Imigant status?
    Excellent point about the ancestors

Lets just throw a hypothetical out there and ponder it

If Mexico were across an ocean from the United States, and Ireland or Italy was on the southern border of the United States. How would people like Great Grandpa Seamus O'Rourke or Uncle Giuseppe Calabrese come into this nation as they sought their fortune....because since Mexico (hypothetically) is across an ocean they would have come through Ellis Island. That means all of the Irish and Italian Immigrants would have simply crossed the border and entered TX,CA, and AZ and started life. But its a hypothetical and it will never be pondered with the same weight because when Uncle Giuseppe came to America from Italy....Ellis Island was the only way in, it wasnt about being here legally or illegally. If Great Grandpa Seamus could have simply walked into the US I am purty sure he would have. So why is it that when Hector Torres and His wife Rosalinda cross the desert to come to the US and work Jobs that we wouldnt dare do, why do we have a fit????

The argument is always tied into criminal activity brought in, burdens placed upon government etc etc etc....Many of our immigrant cultures had to fight the same generalization reference crime and the degradation of society by members of their own culture as they came through Ellis Island and engaged in activities no different that those faced as imigrant cultures today.

I find it ironic because with the exception of two cultures, EVERY other culture that defines America comes from an immigrant stock, an immigrant stock that embraced America proudly once they were accepted by America.

Leave a comment:

• Five-O
    replied
    Originally posted by cclawdog
    They know they can't which is why they are all here in the first place.

You know I'm glad you are all proud of where you come from but just once i'd like to see them put giant US flags outside of there cars and draped across there hoods and are as enthusiatic with American pride on the 4th of July.... oh wait they can't because they are ILLEGAL!
    Is that why your great grand parents and their parents did not do the same?
    What does a Bush Rally have to do with Imigant status?

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyblade
    replied
    Originally posted by Kskog
    Did you see them protesting, or are you ASSuming they weren't wearing suits and ties, and looked like a bunch of hippies?
    Sorry.There was a lot of orange t-shirts. Some were dressed like the Grim Reaper. I shouldn't have labeled them all hippies.

Leave a comment:

• Kskog
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnnyblade
    If these protesters want to make a difference, they should protest in suits and ties while they hold their signs up. Blend in with their political enemies. That way, the people working downtown might actually take a gander and listen to the message. Nobody likes obnoxious protesting. They come off as wannabe Vietnam hippies.
    Did you see them protesting, or are you ASSuming they weren't wearing suits and ties, and looked like a bunch of hippies?

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyblade
    replied
    If these protesters want to make a difference, they should protest in suits and ties while they hold their signs up. Blend in with their political enemies. That way, the people working downtown might actually take a gander and listen to the message. Nobody likes obnoxious protesting. They come off as wannabe Vietnam hippies. I'm an isolationist myself, but that is unrealistic nowadays. The Global Economy is here to stay. We need to stay in Iraq. That train has already left the station. We've killed more Jihadists than they've killed American Troops. Nobody cares? Nobody ever cares if you look at voter turn out. I agree with you on that. God bless the protesters for having strong convictions. I have more respect for the most flaming liberals than I do for somebody who doesn’t vote and then complains.

Leave a comment:

• jumbojs
    replied
    That's true

It's true, they might not be listening but I think it's good to exercise your freedoms. The biggest problem with this country isn't that the leaders are corrupt its that nobody cares but everyone will start caring after we're getting attacked from every which way by all these extra enemies Bush has created by started this idiotic war. But hey, by then he'll probably be out of office, so what does he care.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyblade
    replied
    I think Darrell Hammond impersonating Chris Matthews on SNL said it best:

"Hey protesters, I got news for ya: Bush is ignoring France, Germany, China and Russia; what makes ya think he's gonna listen to some white kid with dreadlocks banging on his frat buddy's bongo drum."

Leave a comment:

• jumbojs
    replied
    Wow

I hope you are all joking. Protesting and speaking your mind is part of what makes this country great and I really hope that you are all not so naive that you believe that your goverment is always right and they are always doing things for our benefit. Lets face it, especially if you are an officer you should know this, people can be evil no matter they do for a living. A preist, a cop, a politician can all be bad because they are only people and you should have the right to speak up against what you believe to be wrong and against a situation that you believe was handled improperly. So if you're joking let me know so I can keep some hope for this country.

Leave a comment:

• deadbirdie
    replied
    The cops should beat up on them protesters, like back in '68. Then sit them down in a room with Jon Burge and let him at 'em. That'll teach 'em to question the US government and his highness, George W. Bush!

Leave a comment:

• hart21
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffIL
    You guys are so right. People shouldn't be allowed to protest against the government at all. Goverments that allow that are weak right?

I totally think people should question the government, you would really have to have your head in the clouds not to with the state of things right now. But I do think most of these protest as of late are coming from the wrong mind frame and for a lot of people its just something to do.

Leave a comment:

• jeffIL
    replied
    Originally posted by leadslinger11b
    Yep, ive been stationed in a lot of places, and id love to see the ****Nmoaners go to any. first of all they'd realize how good they got it here, and second of all if they do thier nutty protestin, the foreign coppers and grunts would just beat the hell outta em and leave em bleedin on the road. That'll shut em up quick.

__________________________________________________ _______________

"I got chunks of guys like you in my stool."
    You guys are so right. People shouldn't be allowed to protest against the government at all. Goverments that allow that are weak right?

Leave a comment:

• hart21
    replied
    Originally posted by Kskog
    Was it an Anti-Bush Rally or an Immigration Rally?

I think it was a small Protest against Bush in general.

it was a Anti-bush rally from all the flyers in my college. needless to say im glad I didnt have class yesterday so i didnt have to be around any of this BS rally.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6789 users online. 359 members and 6430 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X