300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bureaucracy and Politics of the CPD

I am currently a member of the United States Air Force and am considering a career with the Chicago Police Department. I want to ask past and present Chicago law enforcement officers if the department is saturated with politics and Bureaucracy. This is the primary reason I'm leaving the Air force; it is totally inefficient. Are the correct people promoted, or do the most politically tactful and well-connected people advance through the ranks? Is solving a problem easy or do officers have to go through countless "hoops" to solve simple obstacles. Do you feel as if your service makes the City of Chicago a better place, or is the department and its administration simply putting on a "paying lip service" to Chicago citizens? Do you recommend the Chicago Police Department to interested individuals? Thanks in advance for your guidance!!

-Wildblue-

Sorryto tell you but ALLLL of chicago is politics. No matter where you work or what you do. If you work for the city, get used to it.

Comment

Sometimes juice moves the right people where they are needed. But usually those are the exceptional officers that stand out above the rest anyway. And sometimes even that doesn't matter. Does the recent FBI raids on Cook County Human resources spell it out? I suggest if you want to work for a dept with less political bs then look to other big cities like Vegas or LA.
      One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

It is obvious that M.C.S.D. and cclawdog do not know what they are talking about when it comes to CPD. I suggest that if you don't work for them, then don't speak for them. From what I have seen, politics, clout, connections, or whatever else you can think of within the dept. only help for transfers and assignments. As for getting hired or promotions, I have not seen any evidence of any funny stuff. The CPD (THE REAL F..KIN POLICE) is a fine dept. to work for.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDude
            It is obvious that M.C.S.D. and cclawdog do not know what they are talking about when it comes to CPD. I suggest that if you don't work for them, then don't speak for them. From what I have seen, politics, clout, connections, or whatever else you can think of within the dept. only help for transfers and assignments. As for getting hired or promotions, I have not seen any evidence of any funny stuff. The CPD (THE REAL F..KIN POLICE) is a fine dept. to work for.
            amen!! brother

Comment

"As for getting hired or promotions, I have not seen any evidence of any funny stuff"

Got to be new on the job, ever hear of "merit" promotions?

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDude
                So. Having a few generations already on the force won't do a damn thing for you? Being a first for my family and how long it took me to get in LE I CAN say something. Yeah a lot get hired on their own merit. Exceptional people too. But say Joe Whoever is not exactly the best of the best but daddy and uncle and maybe papa were cpd, you don't think they are getting in completely on thier own do you? PuhLeeze! The same goes for assignments, transfers and promotions too. There are exceptions to every rule and we will never know the true scope of the juice moves but you can not pretend they don't exist, either. You won't see funny stuff if they don't want you to either. And you are right CPD is a fine dept. The guy just wants to know about the flow of juice within.

Comment

There is BS and politics. THere are people with Juice and without. THere are people who could care less and who wanna change the world. To a great extent gone are the days when clout brought you over just because of clout. Clout or juice might get you in the door of a specialty...but once you are there you better know your s#!t...because the last thing you wanna do is embarass your juice and make them look bad. Take a look at the "Sons Of Supervisors" section (better known as Special Ops or SOS) as an example. Its a great PD...and if you look at the units with the great bosses....they are there because they tapped some great guys on the shoulder and said "u wanna work for me".....thats juice too....but isnt that the kind you want??
                  Politics is all over CPD...just not as blatant as the 50,60,70's
                  You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Would you say its more prevelent here at Cook County? I agree with your assesment as far as degree of what it used to be in the past and it may have to do with the media today that just won't cower or turn aside and look the other direction. And the fact of more whistle blowers and watchdog groups. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by cclawdog
                      Would you say its more prevelent here at Cook County? I agree with your assesment as far as degree of what it used to be in the past and it may have to do with the media today that just won't cower or turn aside and look the other direction. And the fact of more whistle blowers and watchdog groups. What do you think?
                      I havent been back to chicago since 2004 but I would say just from reading the papers it is no more prevalent at the city or county level than the state level. Not just in the PD but in all aspects of government......the city had the hired truck fiasco.....the county had the "G" raid all of their personnel and hoiring records and then of course there is Governor Ryan's Fiasco only to be followed up by Governor Blagojevich. It goes on its just not as blatant and like you said the press are a lot smarter and braver and whistleblowers have better protections in place.
                      You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9096 users online. 393 members and 8703 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X