300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake County Illinois Corrections?

Anyone know how many people Lake County will take for there correctional officer positions, I am currently on the eligibility list and am just waiting for my letter.

Good luck to everyone who make it to the final.
    Last edited by impalaman; 06-12-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Lake County Corrections

Thanks for the info- you asked were i was on the list, I have no idea-is there a way to find out? Do you know that they will not hired til next year for sure? How many do you think are on that list?

Sorry soo many questons, but not knowing is hard for me! HaHa

Thanks

Comment

Which academy does Lake County use? If they use PTI you can go on http://www.ptb.state.il.us/training/...icTraining.pdf and see about when the next academy starts. So you can estimate when to expect a call or letter.
        My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

^^ Academy and PTI or two different things

Just please if you guys get hired for Corrections, don't be "that guy."
          You know the one that says they work for "County." My reply to them are, you a janitor for them?
          Just about every Corrections Officer I have delt with say that.

Well, good luck guys and stay safe
          Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
          Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
          For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
          'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

FYI. PTI runs 2 different academies. They have the police that is ran at U of I champaign. They also run a corrections program at either Sangamon County, Du Page County or I believe Tazwell County. PTI's website clearly mentions both and gives info on both.
            My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

?

Originally posted by Huey County
              ^^ Academy and PTI or two different things

Just please if you guys get hired for Corrections, don't be "that guy."
              You know the one that says they work for "County." My reply to them are, you a janitor for them?
              Just about every Corrections Officer I have delt with say that.

Well, good luck guys and stay safe

But Correction officer due work for the county,.. it's on there pay stubs, it would say something like (lake COUNTY sheriffs office),

Oh well, just thaught that was a little weird! Stay Safe

Comment

Originally posted by zmilos32
                But Correction officer due work for the county,.. it's on there pay stubs, it would say something like (lake COUNTY sheriffs office),

Here is the point he was trying to make:

Many officers whose official title is correctional officer will beat around the bush when asked what they do. "I am from the county...I am a county officer...I work at (fill in county courthouse/Jail location i.e., 26th and Callifornia)...I am a Deputy Sheriff....I am a peace officer for the county...County Peace Officer...I am a Deputy Sheriff at the Jail...and finally, I work at the jail as a correctional officer.

On a stop you play 20 questions to get quite a few to admit that they are correctional officers that work inside a jail. Some throw out all of the above rather than just say "I am a correctional officer."

With Police Officers, you will even find bosses who say that they are "Police Officers", not "I am a Police Captain." LOL!

Nothing wrong with being a correctional officer.

Seems there are quite a few C/O's who are enamored with appearing to be the police to the general public and being regarded as police by other LEO's and for whatever reason go WAY out of their way to avoid saying they are a correctional officer and would prefer to say "County Officer" or Deputy Sheriff if deputized.

Police say "I am a police officer"...correctional officers sometimes have a hard time saying "I am a correctional officer."
                Last edited by SeVere; 09-26-2006, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zmilos32

In every Illinois County......except Cook County....a deputy sherriff is a police officer. Inherent in saying "I work for the county" is an implication that there is some police authority. When I was on Chicago the term "real police" came to light mainly because of C/O's who sought to imply that they were the police. Hence the friction. Cook County actually has several police agencies, they may not all be respected but they are all police agencies. Among them the Investigations Bureau of the State's Attorney, Cook County Stroger Hospital, Oak Forest Hospital, the Forest Preserve District, Brookfield Zoo, the Memorial Park District, the Inspector General and of course the Sheriff's Police ..... In know I missed some and there are others. A corrections Officer is not a P/O...technically he is a deputy sheriff and carries a weapon by virtue of deputation. Cook County Deputies and C/O have VERY limited arrest authority.....ie orders of a judge or when they ride for free on the CTA (at least they used to).

By the same token, they do a job that most cops CANT do...they are surrounded by recently convicted or hopefully soon to be convicted felons on a daily basis, they are massively undermanned and they are unarmed.....if you have ever had an opportunity to be inside Division 5 at 26th and CAL it is organized chaos......I dont know a single Chicago cop who doesnt take his trash to the alley without a gun on let alone feel comfortable inside the jail
                  You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit
                    Cook County Deputies and C/O have VERY limited arrest authority.....ie orders of a judge or when they ride for free on the CTA (at least they used to).

Not entirely true. Cook County Deputies and C/O's have FULL Police Powers. I worked there for several years and the form I filled out for the IL Local Governmental Law Enforcement Training Board indicated that I had full police powers.

They are not certified Law Enforcement Officers. They are certified County Correctional Officers but nonetheless have police powers that are identical to Law Enforcement Officers by virtue of deputization.

By being Deputy Sheriffs they have full police powers. They are not "Special Deputies" they are deputies.

Their job function is not that of a law enforcement officer, however. They do not need a judge's permission to arrest and have the same powers of arrest as a law enforcement officer. They are Peace Officers, but do not like to say that they are Correctional Officers.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
                      Not entirely true. Cook County Deputies and C/O's have FULL Police Powers. I worked there for several years and the form I filled out for the IL Local Governmental Law Enforcement Training Board indicated that I had full police powers.

They are not certified Law Enforcement Officers. They are certified County Correctional Officers but nonetheless have police powers that are identical to Law Enforcement Officers by virtue of deputization.

By being Deputy Sheriffs they have full police powers. They are not "Special Deputies" they are deputies.

Their job function is not that of a law enforcement officer, however. They do not need a judge's permission to arrest and have the same powers of arrest as a law enforcement officer. They are Peace Officers, but do not like to say that they are Correctional Officers.
                      C/O's in cook county are deputies by virtue of their status with the Sheriff's office. NOBODY in Illinois has full police powers except those state agencies who by statute are vested with full police powers in Illinois... ISP, Sec of State PD, Conservation...etc. Exception are task forces who by virtue of IGA's or MOU's designate those powers like MEG's.

TO further make my point... cook county deputies dont do traffic..they may police county facilities...daley ctr, 69 w washington and the court complexes but they have no police powers outside of those designated on county properties. When I referred to judges and deputies I was referencing when they take into custody at the direction of a judge or a body attachment.
                      SInce you worked as a deputy you also know that if you were hired as the Shewriff's Police you would have to attend the Sheriff's Police Academy REGFARDLESS OF YOUR PRIOR STATUS AS A DEPUTY OR C/O....why.... because you dont have Police Powers!!

Accordingly as a CPD officer you dont have FULL police powers. You dont do enforcement in Oak Park and Evanston.....pursuit being the exception. YOu can venture into other jurisdiction with consent of that agency or under mutual aid (Look up "Police Districts" in ILCS) Off duty as a CPD officer if you took action outside of chicago you would be acting as an "armed citizen" not as a P/O. Additionally the powers you are provided by virtue of your certification are not necessarily the powers you are authorized by the administration of your agency. Example, The Chicago Aviation Police are fully certified police officers by virtue of their academy attendance....but they dont excercise full powers ...do they??? NO.. not even in a post 9-11 society

Other states such as AZ and CA vest their Officers with full police powers, they can make a lawful arrest anywhere in the state with no restriction.

And I dont even know what a special deputy is.

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit
                        C/O's in cook county are deputies by virtue of their status with the Sheriff's office. NOBODY in Illinois has full police powers except those state agencies who by statute are vested with full police powers in Illinois... ISP, Sec of State PD, Conservation...etc. Exception are task forces who by virtue of IGA's or MOU's designate those powers like MEG's.

TO further make my point... cook county deputies dont do traffic..they may police county facilities...daley ctr, 69 w washington and the court complexes but they have no police powers outside of those designated on county properties. When I referred to judges and deputies I was referencing when they take into custody at the direction of a judge or a body attachment.
                        Since you worked as a deputy you also know that if you were hired as the Sheriff's Police you would have to attend the Sheriff's Police Academy REGARDLESS OF YOUR PRIOR STATUS AS A DEPUTY OR C/O....why.... because you don't have Police Powers!!

Accordingly as a CPD officer you dont have FULL police powers. You dont do enforcement in Oak Park and Evanston.....pursuit being the exception. YOu can venture into other jurisdiction with consent of that agency or under mutual aid (Look up "Police Districts" in ILCS) Off duty as a CPD officer if you took action outside of chicago you would be acting as an "armed citizen" not as a P/O. Additionally the powers you are provided by virtue of your certification are not necessarily the powers you are authorized by the administration of your agency. Example, The Chicago Aviation Police are fully certified police officers by virtue of their academy attendance....but they dont excercise full powers ...do they??? NO.. not even in a post 9-11 society

Other states such as AZ and CA vest their Officers with full police powers, they can make a lawful arrest anywhere in the state with no restriction.

And I dont even know what a special deputy is.
                        Traffic is not done by department Policy. They are not trained in IVC. It is not prohibited by LAW for them to do traffic but by the administration of the agency. Yes, Law Enforcement Officers have Full Police Powers. Call the IL Law Enforcement Training and Standards board and ask if Local Police Officers have full police Powers within their jurisdiction. All full police powers means is that within your jurisidiction you can enforce any state law.

Cook County Deputies can make an arrest the same as a Sheriff's Police Officer and do it off of county property. They might not do the paperwork LOL! but nonetheless they have the authority to arrest off of county property. You are incorrect saying that they have no authority out of county property.

Special Deputies are people deputized for a specific purpose and authority is limited.

Two types of Certification- Law Enforcement Officer & County Correctional Officer.

The Sheriff's Police Academy certifies individuals as law enforcement officers opposed to the other Academies which certify individuals as county correctional officers.

2 different certifications.

The IL Law Enforcement Training and standards board would not approve of County Correctional Officers taking the street and performing day to day as law enforcement officers; however, if the county correctional officers are Deputized, they have full police powers by virtue of being Deputized.

They can carry firearms, make arrests, and have the same law enforcement authority as other Peace Officers in the State of IL. This is regardless of their Certification.

I am quite familiar with "Police Districts" in the ILCS. You have apparently been out of the game for a while. While on duty, I have full police powers in Evanston and Oak Park INCLUDING traffic only while I am on duty. While on duty and out of my jurisdiction in Morengo, I have police powers of arrest "Statewide" if a state misdemeanor or felony occurs in my presence or if I am investigating a crime that occurred in Chicago.

I have arrested people in Berwyn. The charges stuck and it was not made an issue that the address of arrest was in Berwyn.

While off duty, I have powers of arrest in Evanston and Oak Park because they are in my "Police District." I would be acting as a citizen in say Arlington Heights off duty.

I understand the law, the way it was when you were on the job might have been different.

The Aviation Police are restricted by Department Policy. Even that is changing and it's going to be changing in a big way.

They recently got new stars identifying themselves as Police Officers with the Chicago Aviation Police not the "Special Police" that they once were.

Even their vehicles now reflect Police not Special Police. They will be armed Post 911...count on it.

I imagine it will be only a matter of time before their official title is changed from Aviation Security Officer to Aviation Police Officer.

They are also sent to the Academy per FAA regulations not state law.

Things have changed since you left and continue to change.
                        Last edited by SeVere; 09-27-2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

(55 ILCS 5/3‑6015) (from Ch. 34, par. 3‑6015)

Sec. 3‑6015. Powers of deputies. Deputy sheriffs, duly appointed and qualified, may perform any and all the duties of the sheriff, in the name of the sheriff, and the acts of such deputies shall be held to be acts of the sheriff.
                          (Source: P.A. 86‑962.)

Illinois Compiled Statutes Counties Code

Comment

Severe, you asked me to step in but not sure what you want me to say. This issue was debated on another thread abouta month ago. What it boils down to is this: The Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards board does NOT recognize Cook County Correctional Officers as LE. Can't say anything about the Court Services Deputies 'cuz I did not ask. However, us Corrections Officers ARE LE due to the Sheriff's say so. We ARE deputized. Not all counties do this for their officers. IDOC are not LE either. What my deputy status does is allows me to carry 24-7 according to HR218. We are not trained in traffic stops (except for SORT and a few other specialty units at the jail... not sure... I know I can't so thats all I need to know). As far as I know I can arrest only for felony. For misdemeanor offenses I must get local police involved. Be a good witness is what we are told. What we are allowed to do is a split between dept policy and state law. What the state says we can do as LE is diff from what policy dictates. For example: State says we can shoot escaping inmates. Sheriff says this is a no-no. I'm not an expert by any means. All I can say is that my job is to babysit adults in jail. I try not to go beyond the scope of my duties and pretend to be something I'm not. I am empowered to defend life should I come across a situation off duty or in transit to and from work. I don't have to carry off duty and I choose not most of the time. I still have to do something should I witness a crime in progress or someone needs help. Simply calling 911 and being a witness is all the Sheriff expects in ... most cases.

Now as far as what I call myself: A Correctional Officer! My ID comes PRE PRINTED with Deputy Sheriff on the card and CO is typed on later so both are OK to use. When it comes to announcing my office: DEPUTY SHERIFF or SHERIFF'S DEPT is what i will use. I can say PEACE OFFICER but to bystanders that is too close to POLICE OFFICER and when it gets to IAD I want it to be record that I did not try to pass off as a police officer.

I think some individuals get carried away with there own importance and I've seen them lose their job because of it.
                            One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

(55 ILCS 5/3‑6015) (from Ch. 34, par. 3‑6015)

Sec. 3‑6015. Powers of deputies. Deputy sheriffs, duly appointed and qualified, may perform any and all the duties of the sheriff, in the name of the sheriff, and the acts of such deputies shall be held to be acts of the sheriff.
                              (Source: P.A. 86‑962.)

OK Fine...this was never a point I disputed.....this is no different than you working 10-99 and asking a citizen to assist you in subduing a resistent offender....you essentialy deputize and he does, for the purposes of your arrest, have the same powers you do. And according Illinois law do Sheriff's have to be certified??? The answer is no and effectively neither do the people seeks to assist him.

Originally posted by SeVere
                              Traffic is not done by department Policy. They are not trained in IVC. It is not prohibited by LAW for them to do traffic but by the administration of the agency. Yes, Law Enforcement Officers have Full Police Powers. Call the IL Law Enforcement Training and Standards board and ask if Local Police Officers have full police Powers within their jurisdiction. All full police powers means is that within your jurisidiction you can enforce any state law.

I Said....
                              Your FULL powers are LIMITED to your jurisdiction[/B]Cook County Deputies can make an arrest the same as a Sheriff's Police Officer and do it off of county property. They might not do the paperwork LOL! but nonetheless they have the authority to arrest off of county property. You are incorrect saying that they have no authority out of county property.

Special Deputies are people deputized for a specific purpose and authority is limited.

Two types of Certification- Law Enforcement Officer & County Correctional Officer.

The Sheriff's Police Academy certifies individuals as law enforcement officers opposed to the other Academies which certify individuals as county correctional officers.

Since you worked as a deputy you also know that if you were hired as the Sheriff's Police you would have to attend the Sheriff's Police Academy REGARDLESS OF YOUR PRIOR STATUS AS A DEPUTY OR C/O....why.... because you don't have Police Powers!!

I believe I covered this part also.....just in case why dont you let the sheriff know.....it wil save the county a lot of money!!!

I am quite familiar with "Police Districts" in the ILCS. You have apparently been out of the game for a while. While on duty, I have full police powers in Evanston and Oak Park INCLUDING traffic only while I am on duty. While on duty and out of my jurisdiction in Morengo, I have police powers of arrest "Statewide" if a state misdemeanor or felony occurs in my presence or if I am investigating a crime that occurred in Chicago.

I have arrested people in Berwyn. The charges stuck and it was not made an issue that the address of arrest was in Berwyn.

AS I inferrred before if your suspect proceeds into Oak Park or Evanston you can go after him.....if your case took you to Berwyn that was not an issue and the need to pursue and apprehend became apparent that will never be an issue

While off duty, I have powers of arrest in Evanston and Oak Park because they are in my "Police District." I would be acting as a citizen in say Arlington Heights off duty.

Legally, you do, but in reality and politically....you don'tI understand the law, the way it was when you were on the job might have been different.

The Aviation Police are restricted by Department Policy. Even that is changing and it's going to be changing in a big way.

Additionally the powers you are provided by virtue of your certification are not necessarily the powers you are authorized by the administration of your agency. Example, The Chicago Aviation Police are fully certified police officers by virtue of their academy attendance....but they dont excercise full powers ...do they??? NO.. not even in a post 9-11 society

I believe we covered this part...this is gonna be on the test

Things have changed since you left and continue to change.
                              This I simply cannot argue with and I hope the changes are for the better...you guys got new stars and snappy little baseball caps but it is still the same CPD I know and love. Once before, you and I had a spirited debate on residency...a thing I believe will NEVER change. For your sake I do hope it does....but it is about as likely as Chicago taking laterals. NOthing personal , dont ever take it that way.....because there aint no call too big or small that cant be handled......squad,19 paul

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5331 users online. 250 members and 5081 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X