300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicago PD written test

I was thinking about taking the november written exam, and I was hoping that there is someone that could tell me what the test consist of.

Pick up one of the application packets. There is information as to the types of questions and the format of the exam. Alternatively, search this forum as the test has been discussed in some detail.

Comment

I posted a link to a book I got when I took the test in 11/04. It really helped me. They will also give you study material when you register for the test.

Amazon.com

Comment

kskog,
        thanx for the help. how did u do on the test? does it really take over 6 months to get your results?

Comment

Originally posted by cbass
          does it really take over 6 months to get your results?
          Don't get them started on that one again. Due to some problem with computers, the testing company or the city not paying the bill, several test groups have not gotten their results for months.
          Extraordinarily Ordinary & Remarkably Unremarkable!

"I bet you have an "Operator" patch on your gear"--CCCSD
          "Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

I took the test in November of 2004 and passed everything. Still waiting for them to schedule my second power test. From what i hear i wont even be starting in the October class. So be patient, hopefully your process is smoother.

Comment

I think I scored an 89 and I was in the first group called after the test for an initial power test. I think the study guide really helped me, especially with the practice matching part.

It sucks you guys have had to wait so long for results. If I remember correctly I received my results in 1/05 and got my letter to take my initial power test in 02/05.

But anyways I'm still waiting to get on. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be on. Now I'm just waiting on my final power test.

Hope this helps.

Comment

In my opinion, the reason why its taking so long for the exam results is because CPD changed the way they are testing. They are testing 4 times this year, in which November 06 is the last testing date of this year. And they are going to group everyone together who passed, I believe. I don't know how many times they tested before but its been a long, long, long wait for some people. I tested in Aug 06 and hoping for Jan or Feb 07, with results

Comment

Originally posted by Kskog
                  I think I scored an 89 and I was in the first group called after the test for an initial power test. I think the study guide really helped me, especially with the practice matching part.

It sucks you guys have had to wait so long for results. If I remember correctly I received my results in 1/05 and got my letter to take my initial power test in 02/05.

But anyways I'm still waiting to get on. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be on. Now I'm just waiting on my final power test.

Hope this helps.
                  since when does CPD give anyone a score?! in recent years, testers have received a letter saying they either passed or failed but never a score. also, the matching part is the easiest part according to many testers. with this test, there's no way to study. you show up and circle the letters that are applicable to you and that's it! no way to go around the personal history questionnaire and b.s. it. "Kskog" obviously came into this forum trying to make some quick change knowing there's gullible people out there willing to buy that book.

Comment

Right On

Guido is correct, buying that book is a complete waste of time. Had the chance to look it over and it seemes to me it would help you more if you were testing with the burb's. If testing with CPD save your money you are gonna need it down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido
                      since when does CPD give anyone a score?! in recent years, testers have received a letter saying they either passed or failed but never a score. also, the matching part is the easiest part according to many testers. with this test, there's no way to study. you show up and circle the letters that are applicable to you and that's it! no way to go around the personal history questionnaire and b.s. it. "Kskog" obviously came into this forum trying to make some quick change knowing there's gullible people out there willing to buy that book.
                      The matching is really easy, but if you don't practice it you'll run out of time. The book had a lot of practice for it and not just a couple examples like the study guide CPD handed out.

As for getting a score back, I have my sheet right in front of me. I quote:

2005 Police Officer Examination #C9161-0001-2004
                      Final Score Notice
                      February 16, 2005

Name
                      Address

Dear 'Kskog'

Congratulations. You have achieved a final score of 99 out of a possible 128 on the written portion of the 2005 Police Officer Examination #C9161-0001-2004. This means that you are eligible for further consideration in the 2005 Police Officer selection Process.

From there is goes on to tell the other parts of testing (background investigation, P.O.W.E.R test, drug screen, psychological exam, and medical examination). Don't call me a liar Guido. I don't care if anyone buys that book. I was just saying I think it helped me.

Guido, have you ever taken the test and recieved a letter after the exam saying how you did?

I didn't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kskog
                        The matching is really easy, but if you don't practice it you'll run out of time. The book had a lot of practice for it and not just a couple examples like the study guide CPD handed out.

As for getting a score back, I have my sheet right in front of me. I quote:

2005 Police Officer Examination #C9161-0001-2004
                        Final Score Notice
                        February 16, 2005

Name
                        Address

Dear 'Kskog'

Congratulations. You have achieved a final score of 99 out of a possible 128 on the written portion of the 2005 Police Officer Examination #C9161-0001-2004. This means that you are eligible for further consideration in the 2005 Police Officer selection Process.

From there is goes on to tell the other parts of testing (background investigation, P.O.W.E.R test, drug screen, psychological exam, and medical examination). Don't call me a liar Guido. I don't care if anyone buys that book. I was just saying I think it helped me.

Guido, have you ever taken the test and recieved a letter after the exam saying how you did?

I didn't think so.

kskog is correct they do give u the score my letter back in 05' read just like kskog letter... out of the 128 score it will tell u how u did and as long as is more than i beleive a 75 u good to move on to the next step/......
                        Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
                        Romans 12:12

Comment

As far as using the book to help you study, don't waste your money. The book is helpful but, they have them at the Chicago Public Libraries. If you live in the city, get a library card, and check the book out for fee and keep it for two weeks.

Comment

After completing the application to participate in the November examination, the CPD provides future test takers with a pamphlet explaining, in very vague terms, the contents of the test. In this helpful pamphlet, they state that one cannot study for the written portion of the exam. I doubt the purchase of this book is supported by the CPD; if it was, there would have been some mention of its existence and value in achieving one's optimal score on the CPD's 'official website'. I'm sure Kskog utilized the book and it aided him in passing the written portion of the examination; however, one should consider the cost-benefit matrix before purchasing this book.

Comment

The test is not difficult at all. I'm not trying to be smug or anything but someone of reasonable intelligience will not have any problems. I didn't study or even have an idea of what was going to be on the test and I passed. I don't remember getting scores but maybe I overlooked it. It sounds like you may be in for a wait though. I took it in Nov 04 and started the academy 25 Sept 06. There are several steps and gaps in between each step. Just hang in, don't think about it, and go on with you life. Good luck!
                              Last edited by ts622; 09-29-2006, 10:20 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4651 users online. 236 members and 4415 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X