300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 months

7 months today still no results...this really sucks and is F-ed up big time.

Originally posted by 0206CPDAPPL
    7 months today still no results...this really sucks and is F-ed up big time.
    I agree... it's almost a year which you can test again after 12 months . I heard from a CPD officer that it's a computer problem ?

Comment

oh well if this test isnt going to count then I want my money back

Comment

Screw the $, hire all Feb applicants! wishful thinking...

Comment

better get used to waiting. its a long process

Comment

Rumors around the Dept. are that in their quest for diversity, some didn't fare as well as others on the Aug. test and they're hoping to get the right mix of people passing from the Nov. test, then lump those in with the Aug. people that passed. Get ready for a long wait..Hopefully for those that have taken it, I'm wrong, but welcome to the big city..If the testing was on the up and up, you'd get a numerical ranking of where you are on the list,like the suburban towns do, .vs a "lottery" number consisting of your SSN...Think the entrance testing and results suck,wait until you take promotionals..
            Last edited by ChiTownDet; 09-28-2006, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Im going to back ChiTownDet on this one, I spoke with a ret. Chicago officer who said the exact same thing. They aren't having very good luck with the other races doing so well on the test and that the city is not happy with that. So that is why four tests this year and most likely one list, therefore, a better chance to have a more mixed police force. Now I am not against diversisty, and have no problems with trying to diversify, until it gets like this. Those of us that have taken the test and most likely passed now have to suffer because other people can't. If someone can't pass the test, then they can't pass the test. If not enough of one type of peoples is not even applying to take the test, then stop trying to force the issue. By doing so those of us that have the true passion and desire to work for the great city of Chicago are getting crapped on. And they better not form a list in a lottery form, thats not fair at all. It should be based off a point system like the suburban depts. Thats is the fairest way.
              -jcap
              maybe someday this mess will get sorted out...

Comment

To all current CPD officers and future hopefuls,

I would like to comment on the postings by “ChiTownDet” and “jcapodicapi” regarding diversity and affirmative action in the CPD hiring and selection process. I want to begin by saying that I am African American. I am currently a member of the United States Air Force which does not adhere to affirmative action legislation and the infamous “quota system”. Service members are promoted based on medal points, time in service, test scores, and performance reports. The system in not bias nor is it discriminatory. I have had no problem rising through the ranks; however, there are few African American and other minority role models in higher positions of leadership. I have often felt “alone” when I look around the room and I was the only black individual in the room. I want to post some demographics explaining the racial composition of Chicago. I will provide race statistics from two websites.

Wikipedia

The racial makeup of the city was 36.39% Black or African American, 31.32% White, 26.02% Hispanic or Latino, 4.33% Asian and Pacific Islander, 1.64% from two or more races, 0.15% Native American, and 0.15% from other races.[14]

Chicago Public Library Website
                POPULATION: 2000 Census
                .....................Non-Hispanic .........Hispanic..............Total
                ...Chicago..............2,142,372...........753,64 4..........2,896,016
                .. ...White...............907,166...........308,149.. ........1,215,315
                ......African American..1,053,739............11,270..........1,0 65,009
                ......Asian...............124,437.............1,53 7............125,974
                ......Pacific Islanders.......972...............816............. .1,788
                ......Native American ......4,253.............6,037.............10,290
                ......Other Race............4,331...........388,872........... .393,203
                ......Multi-racial.........47,474............36,963........... ..84,437
                ...Cook County ..............................................5,37 6,741
                ...9 County Metropolitan Area................................8,272,768
                ...Illinois ................................................

Based on the above data, African Americans are the majority in Chicago; however, if you walk through the Downtown area, you’d never guess. I am not a cop, but I can imagine that the majority of arrests are made against Hispanic and African American males. Is this true? What race saturates the jails in Chicago and Illinois? Again, I am not a law enforcement officer. For undercover operations, what color officers usually conduct undercover operations against low-level drug runners and other petty criminals? I would imagine African American and Hispanic cops. In a city where blacks are the majority, why are they not represented proportionally in the police department? I am not claiming the CPD discriminates against black and other minorities; to the contrary, I believe their selection process is more than fair. I just think the CPD should be more active in recruiting minority officers from colleges and other minority organizations. Logistically, it makes sense. The CPD needs minority officers to fight crime in predominately black and Hispanic neighborhoods. Nothing inflames a neighborhood more than having a suburban born Caucasian officer rough up Chicago minorities (although their actions are more than justified against stupid criminals plaguing the city, black, white and everything in between). Most of my friends are from a different race than my own, but we cannot deny that racial tension still exist between opposing races. I don’t particularly believe, however, that there should be a minority “promotion quota” system. Promotions should be solely merit based. I know this posting may be a little controversial; however, I want to have a discussion with anyone willing to have one on this subject.

Respectfully,

Wildblue

Comment

Intresting points Wildblue. Forgive me to the IL residents, but his post was well worded enough that I felt I should reply.

I saw a few contradictions and some odd reasoning in your post, however. For example - if crimes are committed by people of one race must they only be arrested by officers of that race? Because that seemed to be the extension of the reasoning there to me.

The CPD needs minority officers to fight crime in predominately black and Hispanic neighborhoods.

This implies that officers from the non-minority are incapable of fairly enforcing the law in those areas - obviously false.
                  Also, if that's the perception, why give in? Why should the CPD bend over backwards to hire minorities to police minorities just to battle perception? If a cop from one group fgets a report about a minority doing a crime and he picks up said minority for that crime and fairly establishes PC and all the rest - what's wrong with that? Is the guy less guilty because of the cop's race?

Nothing inflames a neighborhood more than having a suburban born Caucasian officer rough up Chicago minorities (although their actions are more than justified against stupid criminals plaguing the city, black, white and everything in between).

Okay, the part in paraenthesees (sp?) and the rest don't fit together. If the officer's actions are justified, why the inflaming of the neighborhood? So everything is done legally and by the book by a white officer in a minority neighborhood - but still the neighborhood is inflamed? Sounds like racism to me from the community to the white officer. Why do I say that? Because he is being judged to be unfair or somehow biased based solely upon the color of his skin and NOT upon what he did. Again, is the criminal less guilty because of the arresting officer's race?

Now onto the CPD and recruiting minorities - excellent idea! But I say that not because minorities are needed to police minorities, it's because there's probably some real good people that would be damn good cops in every social category/racial category/what have you, and it behooves a quality department to make every effort to find those people and get a badge on them if they can.

But I'll get controversial myself - you cannot recruit solely to people based upon race. Example: Department X sets up a recruiting booth at a college with a student body of 95% race Q and 5% everything else. If Department X is there to attract the best candidates, than that's okay. But if Department X goes there because they need more officers from race Q - than that's wrong. Because there's nothing saying that a well trained officer from any other race can't enforce the law as well as race Q can. And there's no reason to recruit anybody for any job based solely on race - because if I favor race F over race T, then two people with identical qualifications go up for the job and I pick race F because I need more people from race F - that smells like racism to me. Race T was judged to be less desirable because I needed more people from race F - his failure to be selected is solely because of his race = racism.

The Air Force does it the right way. Promotions and selections based SOLELY on merit, without regard to race/sex/creed or anything else. Because that is fair.

Only when race is NOT EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED TO BE A FACTOR can a process or anything else be truly color blind.
                  For every one hundred men you send us,
                  Ten should not even be here.
                  Eighty are nothing but targets.
                  Nine of them are real fighters;
                  We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
                  Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
                  And he will bring the others back.

Comment

looking back at the history between the CPD and the black community in chicago, it's totally understandable why they want more of their own to be cops. chicago needs more hispanic cops b/c of the language barrier and the fact that hispanics are the fastest growing group in chicago. makes no sense sending non-spanish speaking white officers to an hispanic area where communicating would be a problem. well, these are my two cents for now...gotta get back to work...lol

Comment

Wildblue, there will always be racial tension in this city. I can't wait to see if they release the officer and witness statements in the case of the white girl that was released and then raped and almost killed in the Robert Taylor Homes. (Look up the story; it's too long and complex to explain here.) Does that mean we now have to make sure we have enough white cops in each station?

Guido, the Hispanic population needs to assimilate on their own, and not ask the government to cater to their language barrier. Every other immigrant group has done it. I know it doesn't happen over night, but catering to it does not speed up the process.

Comment

Johnnyblade, I agree that people who come to the US should at least learn the language. However, it doesn't happen and as a result we have bilingual school programs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by (S)Sgt Elmer
                          The CPD needs minority officers to fight crime in predominately black and Hispanic neighborhoods.
                          i worked in chicago's englewood district four three years. when the public dials 911 they expect a police officer to respond. when the bullets start flying and u need help does the cops skin color matter? when someone dials 911 for help u dont get a white cop or a black cop. u get a cop!

Comment

Originally posted by wildblue
                            i worked in chicago's englewood district four three years. when the public dials 911 they expect a police officer to respond. when the bullets start flying and u need help does the cops skin color matter? when someone dials 911 for help u dont get a white cop or a black cop. u get a cop!

Comment

Originally posted by bird1
                              THat is so incredibly true and there is no reason to dispute...but simply put when it comes to other area of law enforcemnt outside of the patrol arena this becomes especialy true. historically chicgo was a city of hoods.......ethnic hoods. Chicago is espcially in need of the ability to attract a diverse group of officers that can reflect the whole of Chicago's diversity.....and not just color and race....you gotta throw in languages and lifestyles. The police need to be responsive to the reality of language barriers. There are many neighborhoods in Chicago in which people spoke a particular language their entire lives and lived in one community so they could still be exposed to their old world cultures and values and languages. Communities like LIttle Italy, Ukranian Village, Hegewisch and many others housed hordes of people who did not speak English and relied upon family and friends to translate. On Saturday and Sunday they would go to mass spoken in Polish, Italian, Greek, German and whatever other language existed. Times Change but in reality they dont...POsen and LIttle Village still exist in the same manner as other communities of long ago. Police services have to adapt, Mobility creates circumstances that are very different from the CPD I was on. Many years ago, in Chicago I could get on my radio and say "Squad...is there anybody on the zone that speaks German"......somebody would pop up and be enroute but they say, "I only know it from speaking to my grandma"

The reality surrounding working undercover and other situations requires an ability to blend in to the area to be worked, Chicago has a RAPIDLY changing demographic and it needs a police department that can adapt and change to reflect the society it serves.

And those of you complaining about how long the testing process is.... there were people who took the CPD exam in 1977 and 1981 that didnt get hired
                              until the mid 80's. THe fire department pulled peolpe from lists that were nearly 10 years old...that ws a long time ago...but those of you complaing about witing a few months aint got nothing to complain about.....Good Luck nevertheless.
                              You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5805 users online. 192 members and 5613 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X