Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will county corrections questions

hey guys

anyone go through the whole process with will county before? i applied for their corrections position,and started with the written test in june. so far i've passed the written,psych,polygraph and handed in my 30 page application. from here i still have to go through their background check, oral interview and their physical test. anyone know how much longer this should take? anyone know if you get hired and work in the facility for a while and then go to their academy for training, or do you just go right to the academy for day 1 of the job? also, anyone know about your offduty powers with will county? i know there are lots of differences between the state and county levels, and from county to county , so i'm just trying to figure it all out......

thanks for the help

jim
    Last edited by angelasdad; 11-30-2006, 01:20 PM.

going into the 4th month of the process now. feeling a little confident,but i don't want to get my hopes up too much. so far i've passed the written,physical,poly,psych and finished/passed the background investigation. all that's left is to be interviewed by the merit board,the warden and the sheriff himself. anyone been through the interviews at will county before? any insight? thanks!

Comment

just an update for those that have helped me along the way here.

i had my oral board interview the other day and got my letter today stating that i am on the certified hiring list for the next 2 years ! they plan on hiring about 100 officers,so hopefully i'll be in the door soon.

thanks to everyone that has participated in this site, the search feature has been my friend for about a year now.

thanks
      jim

Comment

I went through the whole process for deputy sheriff. I turned the job down because during the interview they asked if i was ready to work the jail the first 4-6 years of my career. As i look back on that I should of taken the job and continued to test with other departments

What I remember is they send you the to the corrections academy right away. Then have in house training after you get back. However, This could have changed since I tested with them 3 years ago. For what I know is the will county Correction officers cannot carry off duty. However, that was told to me by other people that i was testing with so don't take that as pure gospel.

Does it still take 12 years to top out in salary in will county?
        congrats on getting to that last step, and good luck in the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by livestrong6
          Does it still take 12 years to top out in salary in will county?
          congrats on getting to that last step, and good luck in the academy.
          It takes Chicago 25 years to top out in salary. For the last contract it was 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
            It takes Chicago 25 years to top out in salary. For the last contract it was 30 years.
            And what is that amount for a regular beat cop?

Comment

Originally posted by rolt
              And what is that amount for a regular beat cop?

For 2007 it's $78,006.

Comment

A friend of mine that is a Deputy Sheriff for Will County, has to work the Will County Jail for the first three years. Eventhough he was hired on as a Deputy he works as a correctional officer. He is not allowed to carry in the jail obviously but can off duty. On the other hand no correctional officer is Will County is issued a firearm for safety reasons in the jail.
                "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Originally posted by LockednLoaded
                  A friend of mine that is a Deputy Sheriff for Will County, has to work the Will County Jail for the first three years. Eventhough he was hired on as a Deputy he works as a correctional officer. He is not allowed to carry in the jail obviously but can off duty. On the other hand no correctional officer is Will County is issued a firearm for safety reasons in the jail.
                  Sounds similar to Cook County. Either Courts or Corrections - officers are Sheriff Deputies. Those in corrections have the dual title of: Deputy Sheriff/Correctional Officer.

The stigma is that many people don't know that.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
                    For 2007 it's $78,006.
                    Thank you for the info/response.

Comment

had my oral interview with the chiefs and warden today. thought it went well. just have to wait and see what happens from here. hopefully i'll get "the call" soon....thanks for all the help and insight!

jim

Comment

still going through the process, haven't heard anything back from the merit board....i'm hoping for the "no news is good news" routine.i guess it makes sense that they wouldn't contact anyone over the holidays......

anyone else still going through the process with will county?

jim

Comment

Originally posted by angelasdad
                          still going through the process, haven't heard anything back from the merit board....i'm hoping for the "no news is good news" routine.i guess it makes sense that they wouldn't contact anyone over the holidays......

anyone else still going through the process with will county?

jim
                          The Merit Board is contacting people over the holidays. I applied for a different position with Will County and they called me yesterday morning.
                          "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

So are Will County C/O's deputized?

this still isnt clear to me. Some one stated that when hired as a DEPUTY you have to start in the jail, but if you are hired as a C/O are they also deputized, or does EVERYONE start as a C/O no matter what, kinda like Dupage?

Comment

Will county correctional officers are now deputized with the new title of Deputy Corrections. Their patch states "correctional officer". Their id states deputy corrections. Their ID also has corrections at the top. As far as Deputy Sheriffs go. They have Sheriff's Police on their patches. The id has police across the top. The exact title on the ID is Deputy Officer. As far as that earlier post goes that mentions working in the jail for years before going to the road. That is no longer the case. You might spend a year in the jail before getting a permanent patrol spot. That is changing though. It is very much possible that those hired next time Will Co tests won't work at the jail ever.
                              My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6095 users online. 221 members and 5874 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X