300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stories for inspiration and motivation from the ones who made it

So I'm a year into chasing my dream of being a police officer. Came close a couple of times, tested ok on other tests and will probably start hearing back in a few months to a year. Tested for Chicago in Feb and am starting to think that it was just a dream and that I really didn't take that test the way things are going with them...Tested for LA and got put on their hiring list, but I have no idea now how long that wait is. For now Im just concentrating on finishing another degree and busting my *** in the gym so any academy workout will be a breeze.
    I didn't think that coming into this I'd take one test and get hired right away but that would of been nice. So what I'm looking for is stories of how you officers got on the job, how long you tested, how many times you tested, and how long you waited, stuff like that. These stories might just help me get more a realistic idea of what to expect after a year of testing already and to possibly help better prepare my plans for the future. I open and thank all those who choose to share their stories with me and any who read this thread. Especially because all of you were at one point sitting in my shoes.
    -jcap
    Last edited by jcapodicapi; 08-23-2006, 07:32 PM.

Um.

Don't be surprised if it takes YEARS. If it's what you really want, you'll have to keep pushing through. But really. Seriously. Don't be surprised if it takes years.

Comment

I've Been Testing On And Off For 8 And A Half Years. Been On Many Lists, All Have Expired Before I Got A Call Or I Failed The Written.

Comment

move to NYC they will hire you
        R.I.P. Officer Wayne McLaughlin

Comment

took the cpd test only once in 2001. passed the whole process that took over a year. i didnt know anyone on this job i did it on my own. four years later im still having fun on the job that i love.

Comment

I tested for 9 departments over the course of 30 months before getting hired. In the end it was all worth it because I was just hired by the one department that I truly wanted to work for. My best advice is that you should only test for places you know about and want to spend the rest of your career there. Just my .02. Best of luck to all of you who are testing. Keep on with it.
            My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

Ya, only test for the ones you really want, I took the first one to hire me, MISTAKE. If you just test everywhere, and take the first call, you will be workin, but you will still be lookin.

Comment

I disagree with the other posters comments about only testing where you want to stay. Most people without police experience have no idea what makes a good police department and the only way to really know what the good PD's are is to be a part of the system for a while. I would suggest testing everywhere and anywhere just to get some experience and your certification. Then it will be easier to move on to a better agency. A little know fact about many municipal police lists is the police/fire commission has the ability to "jump" spots in order to hire an already certified officer. This means Joe Citizen could score number 1 and a certified officer who scored number 20 could very well be hired first.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6822 users online. 296 members and 6526 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X