Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy in Cook County

Hello,
    Does anyone have any info on the Cook county academy?
    Last edited by NickFL6; 04-07-2007, 03:38 PM.

Corrections academy is located at Moraine Valley

Comment

I have heard some things about the Cook County academy. I haven't been there, so I couldn't tell you what is true or not, but from what I understand, it is a bit easier than a lot of academy settings, at least as far as physical fitness and military style discipline are concerned. Of course, that, again, is just what I have heard. Don't hold me to it.

Comment

Cook county sheriff's police academy is held at triton college in river grove the next academy start ups are august 21st and october 9th. The one you mentioned about COD is held in glen ellyn on COD's main campus. Their next academy start day is october 2nd. The COD academy is called the suburban law enforcement academy. Both may be quite a drive from Bolingbrook with COD's being closer. I do find it weird since you said you were only testing for bolingbrook and wheaton that they would use both those academies. Well COD makes sense for wheaton as wheaton is in dupage county. From what I've hear most departments south of rte 53 use PTI because of the commute for their applicants. But anyways best luck with the remainder of the process!!
        Last edited by robert2006; 08-17-2006, 04:53 PM. Reason: More info
        My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

I know people dont like to be reminded, but Chicago is in Cook County and they do have a Metro Academy.
          You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit
            I know people dont like to be reminded, but Chicago is in Cook County and they do have a Metro Academy.
            Wait, I thought Cook County was in Chicago???

Comment

Thanks for the info
              Last edited by NickFL6; 04-07-2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Nick, some departments prefer to use certain academies because they have some of their officers teaching at the academy. For example I know Barltett had their chief teach a class at the main campus last year and another officer teach the firearms class at SLEA held at COD. So their can be obvious reasons to having your recruit being trained by one of your own even before the FTO phase. Also from Bolingbrook to COD it can be as short as a 15 minute ride.
                Other departments choose to send their cadets to PTI becaue when you're down there you have less distractions then when you are at home, ie...girlfriends/wives, kids, friends(drinking buddies), and what have you. Therefore you are getting more out of it because you are more focused.
                I've heard perfectly good arguments from both sides as to why a deparment would send you one place or another. oh yeah and PTI cost more because of the dorm like living, commuter academies are cheaper for the department.

Have you actually recieved confirmation from Bolingbrook that you will definitely be moving on with them or are you just planning for the future? Either way good luck.
                -jcap

Comment

Originally posted by jcapodicapi
                  Have you actually recieved confirmation from Bolingbrook that you will definitely be moving on with them or are you just planning for the future? Either way good luck.
                  -jcap
                  Just planning at this point.
                  Last edited by NickFL6; 04-07-2007, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Nick, we will talk in person, but the Cook County Acad. is a cake walk. No worries.
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Academy

The academy is NOT easy. It is very physically demanding. You PT every morning for an hour doing lots of push ups and get used to the front leaning rest postion. After you PT you have classes but you get punished all the time throughout the day which is basically more PT in your uniform.

Comment

All I know is, I went through Chicago's Metro Acad. which from talking to guys (everyone else in the last 7 years on my PD has gone to County) that have attended C.C.'s acad., my experience was about 10X's harder, BUT I guess it is all mindset. I ENJOYED every painful second of it. The Law portion is not hard, the classes are dumbed down college type courses, and the Physical portion and Control Tactics, well, that is why you wanted to become a cop, learning how to give out and take bruises. Do some pushups, run a couple miles, front lean and rest...big deal. People pay Personal Trainers $60 an hour for the same treatment
                        www.saveavet.org

Comment

Dogcop was talking about the sheriff's police academy at triton NOT the sheriff's correctional academy at moraine valley. From what I too have heard was that the sheriff's police academy is one of the simpler academies in our state.
                          My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4794 users online. 181 members and 4613 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X