300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I compete with that

Alright this message might mostly be out of frustration and most of you probably havent dealt with this because it is kind of a small town scenario, but anyway... so I just graduated from western ill university with a bachelors in law enforcement which is has nothing really to do with the story but anyway, just interviewed with a P.D. around my home town its a smaller department. myself and two others interviewed, and I just found out that both of them are already certified. like I said this is probably out of frustration but how am i suppose to compete with that. I know that maybe some bigger departments that may not matter to, however when its a small deparmtent they tend to go with the certified because they dont have to spend the money to send a new hire through the academy which I guess I can understand but it sucks I guess is what Im tryin to say. This towns city council will almost certainly make the chief take one of the certified guys so its back to the drawing board... just wanted to vent.... thanks for reading anyone who waisted five minutes of their time doing so...

Only one thing you can do....Go get certified if you want to work for those smaller departments....I've have my share with those smaller depts and as you already know its really hard.....When people have education, experience and are certified its pretty tough to get in....But anyway good luck

Comment

You may be wrong. If the department didn't put in their ad that they wanted someone certified they may be willing to put you through the academy. It is an uphill battle though. Put yourself through the academy and be one of those guys!

WICop

Comment

Originally posted by WICop
        You may be wrong. If the department didn't put in their ad that they wanted someone certified they may be willing to put you through the academy. It is an uphill battle though. Put yourself through the academy and be one of those guys!
        No offense to the above poster, but I would NOT put myself through the academy. It is very uncommon for people to do that in Illinois, and you have to keep in mind that if you dont't get hired before your certification expires, you are out of luck (and alot of money to boot).

I also graduated from WIU, and I can tell you that there are alot of departments out there that would really like to have someone with an LEJA degree from WIU, especially smaller departments outside of the Chicago area.

Keep up the hard work, and don't get discouraged. Test everywhere, and take the first offer that comes along. If you don't like working for that department, you can always move on after your probation period (so you do not have to pay back academy costs to them). You are right that certified guys often have a leg up with smaller departments, but so do you with a college degree.

Don't despair, and keep plugging along.
        Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

In order to put yourself through the Academy, you need 60 credit hours, equal to an AS degree or working towards a BS. So the guys that are certified do have degrees, at least an AS

Comment

I was told that in some cases the department actually wants someone un-certified...because the state then gives them $X amount to put the new recruit through the academy.....

Comment

Originally posted by BigRuckuss
              I was told that in some cases the department actually wants someone un-certified...because the state then gives them $X amount to put the new recruit through the academy.....

that may be true but you have to realize that city councils have alot to do with small town hiring process and their say is sometimes the final say. city councils dont always look at that aspect of the hiring process, they look at the quick fix to their open spot.

thanks for the replys all I just got a phone call from another P.D. that I interviewed with a few months ago I think I might get on with them so thats a relief Im tired of filling out applications.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRuckuss
                That was the case...I dont know if it still is. The state used to kick back half of the costs of training to the sponsoring agrncy. And like it was said earlier, putting youself through an academy is possible but not very common in Illinois. If you ever go to a larger agency like Chicago from a smaller one your prior academy will not matter. Chicago does not take laterals, ISP used to do a modified lateral but not any more. Keep plugging away, sometimes an agency wil take a guy with prior experience over a guy with no experience, or a guy with a degree, or a guy from the military, the reasons are hard to put a finger on. Tyhe point is that law enforcement is one of those jobs that no matter what you have done it is beneficial. It is beneficial bcuz you deal everyday with people and their drama.....nothing beats "people skills" but in police work there is always use for a student, a soldier, a teacher, a nurse, a plumber and a mechanic... they can use everybody that can qualify to get hired.
                You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit
                  That was the case...I dont know if it still is. The state used to kick back half of the costs of training to the sponsoring agrncy. And like it was said earlier, putting youself through an academy is possible but not very common in Illinois. If you ever go to a larger agency like Chicago from a smaller one your prior academy will not matter. Chicago does not take laterals, ISP used to do a modified lateral but not any more. Keep plugging away, sometimes an agency wil take a guy with prior experience over a guy with no experience, or a guy with a degree, or a guy from the military, the reasons are hard to put a finger on. Tyhe point is that law enforcement is one of those jobs that no matter what you have done it is beneficial. It is beneficial bcuz you deal everyday with people and their drama.....nothing beats "people skills" but in police work there is always use for a student, a soldier, a teacher, a nurse, a plumber and a mechanic... they can use everybody that can qualify to get hired.
                  It still is the case. It's called "reimbursement." The city get's $ for each participant in the training program.

Comment

Its a double edged sword. Put yourself through with the intern program and get certification. You still have no on the job experience but you just saved a prospective dept training time if they need officers fast. Remember, these jobs are very political especially those that are smaller than the city. Prior experience to a lot of town boards and chiefs means prior attitudes, pior sop's that you have to unlearn. These guys want you to police how they want not how you did for somebody else. Just because you may have this exp or that exp does not mean they want it. They have their own agendas and pc stuff they think is the right way to police, or in the new way of thinking, provide customer service.
                    One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11352 users online. 525 members and 10827 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X