X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dupage County

When does dupage county normally test?

Scott

It will be in Spring 2007. I work for DuPage in the Jail as a Booking Officer.

Comment

.... Arent their booking officers just civies? I trained in Dupage and was told that their booking officers are actualy civilians not C/O's / Deputies? Mybe I am mistaken, but im pretty sure thats how it is.

I know their C/O's are full deputies, they dont even call themselves C/O's. When I was in PTI there their instructor kept calling me Deputy @#@#@, I looked at him like he was nuts. I corrected andhe was asstounded that my county no longer deputizses their C/O's.
      Last edited by M.C.S.D; 07-03-2006, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M.C.S.D
        .... Arent their booking officers just civies? I trained in Dupage and was told that their booking officers are actualy civilians not C/O's / Deputies? Mybe I am mistaken, but im pretty sure thats how it is.

I know their C/O's are full deputies, they dont even call themselves C/O's. When I was in PTI there their instructor kept calling me Deputy @#@#@, I looked at him like he was nuts. I corrected andhe was asstounded that my county no longer deputizses their C/O's.
        They might be deputies with the same uniform and badge, id,etc. as the patrol deputies but they are still certified county correctional officers which means they are not fully trained law enforcement officers.

I really believe that if you are going to give someone full law enforcement authority, they should be fully trained law enforcement officers and not County Correctional officers. But hey, that's just me, who am I? County Correctional Officer is a cheaper course and it still gets the job done.

I just wish that the departments that deputize their C/O's would certify them as Law Enforcement Officers instead of C/O's. I guess that would mean that they would become more marketable and eventually leave (as if a lot don't already) the C/O position.

Comment

DuPage has a requirement that in order to become a road deputy you HAVE to put in 2 years in the jails. Most of them eventualy do get trained in Law Enforcement if they transfer to other divisions. DuPage is actually REALLY good about all of that.

Comment

Maybe it has changed since I had been offered a job there. I went through the testing process and was offered a position there but declined it. I had talked to a few people and thought long and hard about turning the spot down.

Comment

Yes, Booking Ofcs are Civs. A deputy is a duputy patrol or corrections, they all have the same police powers. All carry off duty and can arrest, does not matter. You can go into patrol when they need patrol and you qualify and put in for it. Some tests they hire right into patrol, some don't.

Comment

I spoke to a DuPage Deupty at a job fair...he told me the county was hiring 19 officers by the end of 2007...that is hired as correctional officers for at least two years untill you are eligible for patrol.

Is it true that DuPage Deupty's don't have a union?

Comment

Yes, one of the reasons I did not join the department.

While I was in the application process the starting salary dropped, that's right dropped from $27,000 to $25,000 definitely made me think long and hard about accepting the position.

The sheriff told me that because I was certified already and would not require an academy, he said he could get me the $27,000 salary via the county board.

Comment

Was that recently...that pay is low!

IF not recently...in th epast did you still have to start as a C/O?

Comment

The pay is $56,000 after 1 year. There is no union. There is a rumor that they may hire for patrol during the next test this coming spring. They need allot of officers. It is very republican and extremely political. If you are going to work for DuPage be prepared to kiss allot of *** and keep your mouth shut. If someone does not like you you will be looking for a new job. They dept, has excellent benifits.

Comment

Originally posted by 0206CPDAPPL
                        The pay is $56,000 after 1 year. There is no union. There is a rumor that they may hire for patrol during the next test this coming spring. They need allot of officers. It is very republican and extremely political. If you are going to work for DuPage be prepared to kiss allot of *** and keep your mouth shut. If someone does not like you you will be looking for a new job. They dept, has excellent benifits.
                        So you have to be a correction officer for dupage to be elgible to test for patrol. I sent an e-mail to dupage and they anticipate to start testings in Jan 2007 acoording to the e-mail. Do they do the state power test for corrections officer? For will county which I am in the process for we do a obstacle course.

Scott

Comment

DuPage tests every two years. The last test deadline was in April, so yes, sometime in Jan they will hand out apps. Yes they do the State POWER test. They usually always make you do corrections before patrol, but some of the deputies I have worked with have been hearing a rumor that they may test for patrol also. Just a rumor floating around the jail, not a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRuckuss
                            Was that recently...that pay is low!

IF not recently...in th epast did you still have to start as a C/O?

No of course not. LOL. That was years ago. LOL. In the past there were separate tests for C/O and Patrol Deputy.

Comment

we just had a class come back from PTI in Dupage and they said the hardest part was being the only non-sworn in or deputized dept. there because they were the laughing stock of the class. it also didnt help that we have patches for badges and to get a badge for your wallet you have to get approval from captain on up. doesnt help either that they cost 70-90 dollars depending on mono or two tone color. and third the only weapon authorized is a .45 cal hk. so once again they were singled out. so an hour before and after work we carry and on transport. i wished we carried something smaller caliber wise and could pick from a few different brands. but i guess on the flip side we are union so that kinda helps. we have a c.o. running for sheriff who won in the primary by 5k votes, that could change things for us. to Sever i have heard of deputies being hired in for patrol but still have to do jail time before they go to the road. it is just a gurantee that afterwards they will go to the road instead of testing all over again like my county does. and the only plus for me if we every deputize is being able to carry off duty. its not like as a c.o. i dont see the inmates more than the arresting officers so why dont i have the right to arm myself with a sidearm.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10960 users online. 548 members and 10412 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X