Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they still exist and are still unarmed. glorified security guard job..

Comment

When I worked at O'hare in a cargo warehouse right off South Access...we always had a good laugh when we saw some of these guys walking around our warehouse floor.....full duty belt....with an empty holster!

After my first week, I spoke to one of the guys and asked them why they weren't allowed to carry their firearms inside, he just gave me this blank stare and said "we can't carry guns." ................

Being unarmed as a police officer is like being a plumber with no tools, it just doesn't make any sense!

Comment

Most of the guys that work for DOA use their police cert. to get part time police jobs for many suburban dept. And are allowed to carry a firearm while working that job. I believe they keep the DOA job for the city benefits.

Comment

I'll say some more on this later, especially if asked to do so, but this much for now: Special Police Officers have all the powers of Chicago Police Officers when they're at duty location and on duty. As for being armed, most of them have an IDPR tan (firearm carry) card that allows them to be armed while on duty independently of their Special Police status -- I don't know of any armed Special POs who don't have an IDPR tan card, except one who was a state PO and therefore didn't need one to be armed. There are some ambiguities in the law, some of which could get them arrested, and some of which could get them into, or out of, trouble in court, depending. The Special Police in Chicago serve at the pleasure of the Superintendent. Similarly, Special Sheriff's Deputies in Cook County serve at the pleasure of the elected Sheriff. I know one of those who worked as a DCFS investigator and didn't bear arms.

Comment

Just curious, how much do these sheep make? $$$$
            And do what are the requirements etc.
            “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

Here you go. They currently only have a p/t position posted...It's the last position listed on page 2.

https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/100/joblist.ftl
              Last edited by FRNZX; 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM.

Comment

the pay is weak, . ill stick with corrections.
                “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

Greetings fellas.. I just wanted to help you clear up some info.

I am a "special officer" for an INDIANA city. I work for our area Hospital security police. As a special officer, I was sworn in, and have gone thru the same training as an RESERVE officer as in accordance to the Indiana Reserve Police requirements. THis includes all the same as basic and general knowledge of the laws. Defensive Tactics, Firearms training, defensive driving, and much more training that is offered by the hospital that alot of officers do not have to go thru. I do carry a firearm and my powers are in full detail while on duty, to and from work. Our uniforms, badges, and vehicles all say "Police" on them. We use the same radio band as the rest of the city, county police and are given unit #'s.

So to be honest what i see is were just a step above the reserve police only because we are paid for our services. We do back up and assist the local city, county and state police when incidents occur within our area.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8977 users online. 495 members and 8482 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X