300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Special Police

Can anyone here give me a basic run down of the "Special Police" in Chicago?
    I've been hearing from people that it no longer exists, others say it does exist.
    What duties and powers does a special police officer have?
    Any help is appreciated.

Chances are you mean Dept. of Aviation Police. They have "Special Police" on the sides of their vehicle. Basically they guard the airports, go through a fell Police Acad. and are sworn Police Officers, but their 'Powers that Be' won't let them be armed Yes, they are very much still around. Buddy of mine just got hired a few months back by them.
    Last edited by dogcop; 06-22-2006, 02:25 PM.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

All I could really find about the Special Police would be this...

The duties and powers of a special police officer are laid out in the Special Policeman and Security Guards Ordinance of the City of Chicago. ("SPSGO") sec. 4-340 Chicago City Code (1993). This ordinance requires that a special police officer must be appointed and licensed by the city, sec. 4-340-020, and that the superintendent of police "shall cause an investigation to be made of the character of the applicant." sec. 4- 340-040. The superintendent must keep a list of all persons appointed special officers. sec. 4- 340-060. The SPSGO also requires that all officers wear a "suitable badge . . . issued to him by the superintendent of police . . . . Said badge shall be worn by the special policeman on the outside of his outer coat while engaged in the performance of police duty." sec. 4-340-080.

I can't find any current info on it so was wondering if anyone knew anymore.

Comment

The special police are security guards that are licensed by the city.

The Department of Aviation are now referred to as the City of Chicago Department of Aviation Police.

Their vehicles now reflect that they are the police along with their new Identification cards and Badges.

I believe they will be armed very soon. It has been a long time coming in that they were trained to be the police and because they are trained, why shouldn't they be.

Comment

Anyone know why they were never armed?? I'm sure it's political

Comment

Many area hospitals have Security that are commissioned as "Special Police"

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop
              Chances are you mean Dept. of Aviation Police. They have "Special Police" on the sides of their vehicle. Basically they guard the airports, go through a fell Police Acad. and are sworn Police Officers, but their 'Powers that Be' won't let them be armed Yes, they are very much still around. Buddy of mine just got hired a few months back by them.

There are two guys in my academy class now that are from dept of Aviation police....its kind of weird when we go to the range, they have to borrow weapons because they arent armed.
              I LOVE the smell of flashbangs in the morning.....dont you?

si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

There are two guys in my academy class now that are from dept of Aviation police....its kind of weird when we go to the range, they have to borrow weapons because they arent armed.
                I LOVE the smell of flashbangs in the morning.....dont you?

si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

I believe they will be armed very soon.
                  That is my buddy's hope. Everyone is set up to go for the requal. State Shoot. He said nothing firm yet, more rumor than anything. When he was on FTO, his FTO literally said, "If you see a Terrorist, about all you can do is call for help then throw your radio at him." My understanding of why they can't carry is Politics, but don't know the background. Aviation Police should be armed with AR's and have tactical training, sadly, it is as far from the truth as possible
                  www.saveavet.org

Comment

That is my buddy's hope. Everyone is set up to go for the requal. State Shoot. He said nothing firm yet, more rumor than anything. When he was on FTO, his FTO literally said, "If you see a Terrorist, about all you can do is call for help then throw your radio at him." My understanding of why they can't carry is Politics, but don't know the background. Aviation Police should be armed with AR's and have tactical training, sadly, it is as far from the truth as possible

I see some point to the madness really. The job that the Aviation Police do is actually more security related and per FAA regulations they have to be Certified Law Enforcement Officers.

The airport has CPD and Aviation Police at the airports.

I believe (my opinion) that if they make the Aviation Police the full deal and do the same job as CPD at the Airports, i.e. their positions are interchangeable, the Aviation Police will attempt to make an equal pay argument and attempt to get paid the same as CPD. The reason they were created in the first place was to fulfill FAA requirements and not to have as many CPD officers there doing security work by manning a post. They were able to hire the "aviation security officers [their official title]" at less money than a CPD officer.

Comment

I see some point to the madness really. The job that the Aviation Police do is actually more security related
                      That is why they should be armed, it is hard to provide security and "secure" the public or area with nothing to back it up with. But here is the other problem I wa talking to my buddy about. I asked if being unarmed and being treated the way they are makes them feel like "Security Guards" and he sad yes. So my point is, the culture that has been allowed to exist on that dept. makes them feel like security guards and not the Police, so to go armed for some will probably feel very weird since they have almost had "Police" breed out of them. IMO there will need to be a ton of training to get them up to snuff, not just a Qualification shoot and say that's the end to the training. My understanding from my buddy is DOA handles the exterior post and fence line security, and internal, not open to the public, building security. Then they mingle with CPD for the terminal security and CPD is more present on the outside drop off area. But lets not forget this CPD detail if for mostly "short timers" that I have seen. You still see guys with just a revolver. So again, you have an unarmed "officer" posted along a fence line that is suppossed to keep the bad guy out, and with what? And in the more public areas, you have some CPD old-timer walking around with a revolver on his hip and his bottom three shirt buttons are screaming (yes, I'm being a bit overdramatic, I know all of them there are not like this). But my point is, when the hell will everyone be woken up and realize we are at war here, and even if we leave Iraq and A'stan, we are STILL at war with an enemy that will look to exploit our weakness. I WANT to see armed "Ninja" SWAT guys at our airports, train stations and such.
                      www.saveavet.org

Comment

That is why they should be armed, it is hard to provide security and "secure" the public or area with nothing to back it up with. But here is the other problem I wa talking to my buddy about. I asked if being unarmed and being treated the way they are makes them feel like "Security Guards" and he sad yes. So my point is, the culture that has been allowed to exist on that dept. makes them feel like security guards and not the Police, so to go armed for some will probably feel very weird since they have almost had "Police" breed out of them. IMO there will need to be a ton of training to get them up to snuff, not just a Qualification shoot and say that's the end to the training. My understanding from my buddy is DOA handles the exterior post and fence line security, and internal, not open to the public, building security. Then they mingle with CPD for the terminal security and CPD is more present on the outside drop off area. But lets not forget this CPD detail if for mostly "short timers" that I have seen. You still see guys with just a revolver. So again, you have an unarmed "officer" posted along a fence line that is suppossed to keep the bad guy out, and with what? And in the more public areas, you have some CPD old-timer walking around with a revolver on his hip and his bottom three shirt buttons are screaming (yes, I'm being a bit overdramatic, I know all of them there are not like this). But my point is, when the hell will everyone be woken up and realize we are at war here, and even if we leave Iraq and A'stan, we are STILL at war with an enemy that will look to exploit our weakness. I WANT to see armed "Ninja" SWAT guys at our airports, train stations and such.
                        I agree they should be armed. I also see why they are relegated to security guard duties. They are only police certified per regulations of the FAA. If it wasn't required, they would not be police trained.

I have no problem with them being armed nor do I have a problem with them being Police Officers. I think the powers that be do because they don't want to increase their pay to CPD's pay structure.

I believe they will ask for an increase in pay when their transformation to a P.D. is complete. The city may respond with disbanding the whole department and making it all CPD. Who knows what lies in the future.

I haven't forgot anything and KNOW that It isn't all short timers there. In fact there are quite a few people there with a long way to go until retirement.

Those shortimers go and are replaced by people who have quite a bit of time to go. I am talking more than 15 years to go. Hardly, a short timer.

Comment

Chicago Aviation Police

Remember Chicago had a fully armed and sworn Police Department at both the Chicago Transit Authority(CTA) and the Chicago Housing Authority (CHA)........those departments are gone now....mainly because the city did not want more than one Police Department...both agencies were eliminated for political reasons.....the CTA by Mayor Byrne and the CHA by Junior Daley. CTA and CHA are not city agencies they are municipal corporations and as such they had a lot of Federal Dollars that the Chicago Police Department wanted. For many years the Aviation Police were used for the same reason.....because of the presence of the FAA there are a lot of Federal Dollars going through the airports and since 9-11, there have been many more which have made the Aviation Police more popular as a funding magnet. When that well runs dry the Aviation police wil disappear just like the other agencies and the airports will once again become a spot for older CPD cops to go until retirement. The Aviation police have been around for more than a dozen years and they are still unarmed....especially after 9-11.

After 9-11 who got all of the toys, the dogs, the humvees, the overtime, and the rest of the neat stuff.....CPD not DOA.

CPD is too selfish and will never share.....New York merged their transit and and housing police. LosAngeles is in a major fight over the Airport police (who are armed) and the LAPD. IF you are holding out that the DOA POlice will be armed....look at the hisory of the city and DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH!!!!
                          You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

They SHOULD be armed. Especially those that guard the gates that enter the AOA. Anyone could drive right through the gates, under an airplane, and do bad things. And the only thing these folks can do is pick up a phone.

Comment

does this organization still exist. i cant find any info on them.
                              “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8876 users online. 487 members and 8389 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X