300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.d.o.c.

Do Illinois Department of Corrections officers carry off-duty?

Originally posted by BigRuckuss

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago30
      carry a firearm...

Comment

I know what is means to "Carry"

Every officer is different.

You can't really speak for every officer.

Comment

What I am asking is if corrections officers in the state of IL are permitted to carry offduty? I'm not asking if they CHOOSE to or not...

Comment

shygirl1321
            Forum Member
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Adubbz
            Your riding around with a gun legally? I ask this because i heard a friend tell me their was a new law or someting. Also due to the fact that im trying to become a correctional officer I might want to carry when im not working for safety reasons

if you get hired by the ccdoc u can carry a loaded gun off duty and is legal not sure which dept u are trying to become a CO but cook county lets u carry on and off duty....

Comment

As the law is written right now, my understanding is that they cannot legally carry off duty. Illinois law allows sworn peace officers to carry firearms, but that status is not conferred upon IDOC officers (unless it is during the commission of their official duties as correctional officers), as it is in some other states. To be a sworn peace officer in Illinois, one must also be at least 21 years old, but the IDOC hires officers at the age of 18, so for at least three years an officer would not qualify if they were hired at 18.

Regardless of what the law says, I have known several IDOC officers who have carried off duty, and for good reason. If I had their job, i would too.
              Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRuckuss

u can only carry one hour before work and one hour after work and not on ur off days !! thats for idoc...
                Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
                Romans 12:12

Comment

Originally posted by SIGman1
                  As the law is written right now, my understanding is that they cannot legally carry off duty. Illinois law allows sworn peace officers to carry firearms, but that status is not conferred upon IDOC officers (unless it is during the commission of their official duties as correctional officers), as it is in some other states. To be a sworn peace officer in Illinois, one must also be at least 21 years old, but the IDOC hires officers at the age of 18, so for at least three years an officer would not qualify if they were hired at 18.

Regardless of what the law says, I have known several IDOC officers who have carried off duty, and for good reason. If I had their job, i would too.
                  that's basically what I was referring to in the thread i made. If an IDOC correctional officer were to be caught carrying off-duty what will be the consequences or has a situation ever happened like this before?

Comment

Thanks for all the great responses...I am also curious as to what consequences there are for carrying off duty...can CO's get a concelead weapons permit?

Comment

No cop that I know of would arrest a CO for carrying concealed, UNLESS there was a situation that really deserved it. IDOC is getting drunk at a bar, decides to show a guy that is giving his girl a hard time the butt of his gun, etc. But given if he is responsible, chances are I won't even know he is carrying cause I won't be searching him. Now, let's say, he has to pull the gun on someone off-duty, lets not even say has to fire it, and we have to cut a report on it. Now an over anxious State's Atty might want charges filed, but I very much doubt it.
                      BigRuckUss, there is no CCW in IL.
                      www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop
                        Now, let's say, he has to pull the gun on someone off-duty, lets not even say has to fire it, and we have to cut a report on it. Now an over anxious State's Atty might want charges filed, but I very much doubt it.
                        This IS Illinois, remember?
                        Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8411 users online. 198 members and 8213 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X