300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergeant testing

I was told that in order to be a sergeant, you HAD to pass the sergeants test. You could be appointed to sgt for a period of 60 days, and then that could be renewed for another 60 days, but any more than that would be illegal. In order to be sgt for more than that, you had to pass the sgt's test.

Is this correct, and if so, where could I find information (such as case law, etc...) confirming this?

Thanks,

-DT-

Originally posted by dthomas_epd
    I was told that in order to be a sergeant, you HAD to pass the sergeants test. You could be appointed to sgt for a period of 60 days, and then that could be renewed for another 60 days, but any more than that would be illegal. In order to be sgt for more than that, you had to pass the sgt's test.

Is this correct, and if so, where could I find information (such as case law, etc...) confirming this?

Thanks,

-DT-

Depends on the Department.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
      Depends on the Department.
      Are you sure about that? The President of ICOPS union out of Chicago stated that there was case law on this. Several troopers that back me up quite a bit told me the same thing, that there is case law on this.

Comment

It's like SeVere said. Because each city,county and state has their own civil service rules, it will vary from agency to agency. If you have a specific agency in mind, you will need to check with their civil service board.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
          It's like SeVere said. Because each city,county and state has their own civil service rules, it will vary from agency to agency. If you have a specific agency in mind, you will need to check with their civil service board.
          Ok, I see what the discrepancy is now. I clicked on the "Illinois" tab, as I am in Illinois. I can understand why people from outside the State may have different answers, and that is fine.

However, any Illinois officers out there that can help find the case law on this. There is definitely some case law on this, as several more officers have confirmed what has already been said to me.

Comment

You must first understand the difference between statutes (laws) and case law.
            There is no law in Illinois, dictating testing for sergeant. I'm sure that someone has challenged an Illinois agency's process for appointing or hiring of sergeants. If they went to court, they had a case and the disposition of this case would be case law.
            Case law is subjective and not absolute. The circumstances would have to be near identical for it to apply. If you are employed by a four man agency a sergeant will likely be appointed.
            If you are in the Chicago P.D. there would have to be testing to give everyone meeting the criteria an opportunity.
            It all depends on the agency, but the laws that cover this as a whole are under equal opportunity employment and fair labor practices.
            “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7364 users online. 436 members and 6928 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X