300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part time police?

I've notcied that some villages around my area hire part time police officers. Has anyone ever done this, what are the qualifications, and what exactly do you do?

We don't have "part time" as in getting paid. We do have reserve officers that do the same thing as us. They are required to work 3 shifts a month with no pay. Their pay is getting experience to help them become full time somewhere. We offer them training while they work for us besides the state required minimum and FTO phase. We have some that have very good paying jobs and do not want full time. They just like to help out and enjoy when they do work.
    Gods Speed

Comment

A lot of the small towns and villages gere have part-time officers. Besides working for the Sheriff's Department full time, I also work part time for a local village. The training and certification is the same for all law officers in Wisconsin. As far as what I do there, I work as a patrol officer.
      Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by jumbojs
        I've notcied that some villages around my area hire part time police officers. Has anyone ever done this, what are the qualifications, and what exactly do you do?

In IL part-time police officers are just that. They function as a patrol officer only on a part-time basis. By IL law, they are state certified to the same level as full-time officers. I hope this answers your question. Most require you to be certified already in that they do not want to send a part-timer to a full-time academy.

Comment

Part-Time Academy

You can be sponsored by the hiring agency and go through a part-time academy in Illinois. These academies are through the Mobile Teams (MTU Assist). Here is a link to the ILETSB part time page

http://www.ptb.state.il.us/part-time...parttime.shtml

You are allowed to work while you are attending this academy, but you must first complete the 40 hour mandatory firearms training portion.
          The academy is nine months of weekends. If you are hired full-time by an agency after completing this training, you can attend a two-week transition course at PTI in Champaign, and this converts you to full-time certified.
          “This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

I am a part-time officer in Wisconsin. It sounds like IL handles things in a similar fashion as up here.

I paid my own way through the academy. I was lucky enough to have one of the only academies in the state (most WI academies are run by tech schools) that offers the standard LE training as night school. The same training that most officers get in 13 weeks of M-F, 8-5 classes, I got on T & Th nights from 6-10 plus a few weekends over the course of a year. It cost me about $1800, and I was able to pay by 'module' (i.e. $200 for Firearms, $120 for Basic Law, etc.)

I work for two small departments, both of which happen to be surrounded by a larger city. My departments usually have only 1 officer on duty per shift (except days, when the chief and sergeant are usually around). After field training, I was left to work completely on my own. Very nice if you don't like someone looking over your shoulder all the time. But you do end up having to learn by making mistakes a lot more, as you usually don't have a more experienced officer readily available to answer questions.

One department pays about $19/hr and the other is $15. I can't think of a better way to supplement my income.
            Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Like Severe said you are a P/O, just part-time. State law says you can only work 20 hrs. per week. Some towns like Crestwood ,Merrionette Pk.,and Hometown run soley on P/T. Some places have you on the street same as a F/T'er, Like Cal. Pk., Blue Is., E.Hazelcrest, Dixmoor, Posen,Glenwood,Robbins, Ford Hts., Palos Hills/Park. Alot of these are poorer towns and you will be compensated as such (anywhere from $8-15 per hr.) Some want you certified, some will put you through the P/T academy (one is run at Moraine Valley CC). It seems that there are a lot more South burbs that use them than west and north burbs..

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet
                State law says you can only work 20 hrs. per week.
                Actually it is 1560 hours per year; this translates to 30 hours per week. If a P/T officer exceeds this, (annual limit) the clock starts ticking (6 months) for the agency to enroll them in the transition course or full-time academy.
                “This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Wish I saw this topic earlier........

I started off part time with Crestwood and was sent to the NEMRT STARR academy for part time patrol officers and worked in Crestwood for 2 years. I was then hired part time by another south suburban department and then hired full time with that agency..... at that time they sent me to the Cook County Sheriffs Police Academy because our union contract states that full time police officers must be certified by a full time police academy.

NEMRT hosts 2 Part Time academies:
                  STARR: Held in Crestwood
                  PEP: Sometimes at Moraine Valley but last class was Triton College

ChiTownDet:
                  Palos Hills no longer has p/t officers (lowest paid f/t out of 3)
                  Palos Heights only has a few p/t officers (highest paid f/t out of 3)
                  Palos Park is starting to become a majority of Full Time officers (currently 12) and Part Time applicants must be certified.

Hope this helps...... try to get close to someone from an agency that hires part timers and see if they can help get you in the door.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by skates94

I started off part time with Crestwood and was sent to the NEMRT STARR academy for part time patrol officers and worked in Crestwood for 2 years. I was then hired part time by another south suburban department and then hired full time with that agency..... at that time they sent me to the Cook County Sheriffs Police Academy because our union contract states that full time police officers must be certified by a full time police academy.

ChiTownDet:
                    Palos Park is starting to become a majority of Full Time officers (currently 12) and Part Time applicants must be certified.

Hope this helps...... try to get close to someone from an agency that hires part timers and see if they can help get you in the door.
                    I haven't been checking this lately. Thanks for the reply. I've talked to Crestwood and they said they were taking apps for part time in a month. I need to call back then and find out when to pick up the app. I thought this would be a great way to get your foot in the door.

Comment

Originally posted by skates94

ChiTownDet:

************************************************** ********

when i was a kid in the 70's we used to snicker at the crestwood police,
                      but now knowing what in know...i am sure they had their hand full with
                      the ' ronins' that flew their town.
                      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I am non-certified and will be putting in my app for Blue Island. Do these south suburban departments hire non-certified guys for part-time?

Comment

Rollcall call every dept in the suburbs and ask if they are hiring or accepting apps for PT. Then apply even if they are not. When you least expect it the call will come through.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6919 users online. 307 members and 6612 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X