300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correctional Officer Carry?

Does anyone know whether or not Lake County Correctional Officers carry or not? On duty or Off duty?

They do carry off-duty. Their issued weapon is the same as the rest of the department. Why do you ask?
    Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

can state CO's carry off duty if they get the FOID card?
      Last edited by Adubbz; 02-03-2006, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was just curious. I am applying for Corrections officer for Lake Co., and someone asked me that question and I didn't know. Thanks again.

Comment

Do you know anyone that works there?

Comment

Originally posted by Adubbz
            The last I knew, the answer is no. They can carry one hour before work and one hour after,to and from work only. They are not peace officers but rather "Conservators of the Peace."

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act may have thrown a wrench into that prohibition legally, but I am not sure if the Department allows for Off Duty Carry. The F.O.I.D. card has nothing to do with one's authority to carry firearms.

Conservators of the peace

Comment

Originally posted by Adubbz
              According to the Illinois State Police website:

What is a FOID card?
              The FOID card was created in 1968, by the FOID Act, as a way to identify those persons eligible to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition as part of a public safety initiative in the State of Illinois.
              Who needs a FOID card?
              Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

Even peace officers must have a FOID card in order to possess firearms/ammunition. It is their status as a peace officer that gives them the right to carry firearms off duty. Many counties allow their COs to carry off duty because they are sworn peace officers. I do not believe that Illinois State COs can carry off duty, although I could be mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by SIGman1
                According to the Illinois State Police website:

What is a FOID card?
                The FOID card was created in 1968, by the FOID Act, as a way to identify those persons eligible to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition as part of a public safety initiative in the State of Illinois.
                Who needs a FOID card?
                Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

Even peace officers must have a FOID card in order to possess firearms/ammunition. It is their status as a peace officer that gives them the right to carry firearms off duty. Many counties allow their COs to carry off duty because they are sworn peace officers. I do not believe that Illinois State COs can carry off duty, although I could be mistaken.
                If I remember correctly, a Peace Officers in the performance of duties are not required to have an FOID Card in their possession (in fact, we were able to purchase Firearms with a letter from the Chief of Police). Rulings have come down however, that Shopping while on duty for example does not constitute official duties, thus creating a de facto requirement to have a FOID card.

This is how I understand it. If you do not have a personally owned firearm, and then take a Department Issued firearm (i.e. Shotgun) for a search warrant only, you technically would not have to have a FOID card. As soon as you do something else like stop for breakfast, stop to pick up a couple of steaks for a back yard barbecue, you would be required to have the card.

Pretty interesting isn't it. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
                  If I remember correctly, a Peace Officers in the performance of duties are not required to have an FOID Card in their possession (in fact, we were able to purchase Firearms with a letter from the Chief of Police). Rulings have come down however, that Shopping while on duty for example does not constitute official duties, thus creating a de facto requirement to have a FOID card.

This is how I understand it. If you do not have a personally owned firearm, and then take a Department Issued firearm (i.e. Shotgun) for a search warrant only, you technically would not have to have a FOID card. As soon as you do something else like stop for breakfast, stop to pick up a couple of steaks for a back yard barbecue, you would be required to have the card.
                  Even if the only firearm they own is department issued, they still need a FOID card if they plan on buying ammunition for the firearm. I do not know of a single department that issues ammunition.

The FOID card is not what allows the officer to carry the firearm, merely to possess it in his home or vehicle (unloaded and out of reach), and to purchase ammunition for it.

Comment

Even if the only firearm they own is department issued, they still need a FOID card if they plan on buying ammunition for the firearm. I do not know of a single department that issues ammunition.

The FOID card is not what allows the officer to carry the firearm, merely to possess it in his home or vehicle (unloaded and out of reach), and to purchase ammunition for it.

Chicago issues ammunition (at least in terms of P.D.'s). It was always easier to just get the FOID Card, but we are issued ammo. I don't know of any correctional agencies that issue ammunition.

I am aware what the FOID card allows. The law and department regulations allow the officer to carry the firearm. The officer cannot be in possession of a firearm without the FOID card if he/she is not in the performance of official duties which now excludes shopping while on an on duty status. In other words on duty no longer means performance of duties.
                    Last edited by SeVere; 02-03-2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

i remember one of my classmates in the academy that works for Cook County Corrections said they carry their guns off duty for safety reason. For instance some of the felons who completed their time and got out coincendentally bumped you somewhere down the road. At some point you wouldn't think they will cause no harm but think again. You wouldn't know at all if they have some grudge or anything like that to you. So much better if you're prepared. But again, I don't know the policy at Lake County Dept. of Correction or the like.

Comment

They do carry off-duty. Their issued weapon is the same as the rest of the department. Why do you ask?
                        Ahh, when did that start? Just talked with a Sergeant from Lake County Corrections (personal friend), they are not allowed to carry off-duty and they are not issued firearms. They are however allowed to carry a firearm one hour before and one after work. Gold Dots are issued to them.

SIGman, are you thinking of Court Security?
                        Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                        Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                        For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                        'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

Originally posted by mksm2000
                          i remember one of my classmates in the academy that works for Cook County Corrections said they carry their guns off duty for safety reason. For instance some of the felons who completed their time and got out coincendentally bumped you somewhere down the road. At some point you wouldn't think they will cause no harm but think again. You wouldn't know at all if they have some grudge or anything like that to you. So much better if you're prepared. But again, I don't know the policy at Lake County Dept. of Correction or the like.

Cook County DOC and DuPage definitely can carry off duty. Cook County does not require officers to purchase Personally Owned Firearms for Corrections Officers.

Comment

In response to many replies on this thread.....Unless the C/O is actually a sworn LEO (some are) they can't carry off duty except while commuting to and from work. I have copied and pasted some excerpts out of the Illinois Compiled Statutes:

Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
                            (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
                            (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
                            (i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;
                            or
                            (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
                            (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
                            firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's
                            Identification Card

Sec. 24‑2. Exemptions.
                            (a) Subsections 24‑1(a)(3), 24‑1(a)(4) and 24‑1(a)(10) and Section 24‑1.6 do not apply to or affect any of the following:
                            (1) Peace officers, and any person summoned by a
                            peace officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while actually engaged in assisting such officer.

(2) Wardens, superintendents and keepers of prisons,
                            penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense, while in the performance of their official duty, or while commuting between their homes and places of employment.

************************************************** ***

And Just for clarification here is the definition of a "Peace Officer"

(720 ILCS 5/2‑13) (from Ch. 38, par. 2‑13)
                            Sec. 2‑13. "Peace officer". "Peace officer" means any person who by virtue of his office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for offenses, whether that duty extends to all offenses or is limited to specific offenses.
                            For purposes of Sections concerning unlawful use of weapons, for the purposes of assisting an Illinois peace officer in an arrest, or when the commission of a felony under Illinois law is directly observed by the person, then officers, agents or employees of the federal government commissioned by federal statute to make arrests for violations of federal criminal laws shall be considered "peace officers" under this Code, including, but not limited to all criminal investigators of:
                            (1) The United States Department of Justice, The Federal Bureau of Investigation, The Drug Enforcement Agency and The Department of Immigration and Naturalization;
                            (2) The United States Department of the Treasury, The Secret Service, The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and The Customs Service;
                            (3) The United States Internal Revenue Service;
                            (4) The United States General Services Administration;
                            (5) The United States Postal Service; and
                            (6) all United States Marshalls or Deputy United States Marshalls whose duties involve the enforcement of federal criminal laws.

I hope this clears up any questions.

Comment

so as soon as they come in to work, where do they keep their firearm? do they carry them inside while working in jail?i thought they're not allowed to have a firearm while inside the jail.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8969 users online. 375 members and 8594 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X