Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took the written in Nov 2004 and was just notified to report for my medical examination this Wednesday. Can anybody clue me in as to what to expect? Also, does anybody know the department's vision requirement? I've be combing the web and can't find any info. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by deadbirdie
      I agree 100% that police & fire work is a calling. However, as SeVere said, you'd have to be naive to believe that these fellas are going to risk their lives day in & day out and not expect to get paid. Lots of cops I know work side jobs because they have to. Most cities, Chicago included, are getting extremely expensive to live in. I imagine if you started out 10-20 years ago, you're doing pretty damn well nowadays. But for those of us just starting out, $300k (or $500k) is alot of money to pay for a house. I think ANY job has a number of factors that one needs to consider, salary of course being an important one. But to think that salary/benefits should not be considered in that decision, is just plain wrong.
      Right on deadbirdie...Right On

Comment

• Originally posted by Nov04
        I took the written in Nov 2004 and was just notified to report for my medical examination this Wednesday. Can anybody clue me in as to what to expect? Also, does anybody know the department's vision requirement? I've be combing the web and can't find any info. Thanks.
        It was a long time ago that I took it but its a medical examination. They do some tests on you. I really don't remember what tests but I think they did hook me up to several machines. I am not sure of the vision requirements.

Comment

• for medical exam.....no preparation needed im just kidding...expect ot have a regular medical exam just like when u have an annual physical. and most of all, they just want to find out how healthy you are or if u used any drugs etc. or if ur sick and unable to do this and that...stuff like that. but for the most part, the test is just a regular medxam.

Comment

I took the written in Nov 2004 and was just notified to report for my medical examination this Wednesday. Can anybody clue me in as to what to expect? Also, does anybody know the department's vision requirement? I've be combing the web and can't find any info. Thanks.
            I took my medical test in July, (took Nov '04 test) do you know why you are just now taking it?

Here is what I posted on the previous page...
            "Had my Medical exam the next week. Easy enough, chest xray, hearing test, vision test, blood test, turn your head and cough etc."
            Be prepared to give blood and urine samples..
            There is a breathing exam, the nurse who administered it to me was not properly telling people how to do it and an aide came in while I was doing it and corrected her, so make sure you pay attention to that.

Comment

I too, took the test in Nov. 2004, but had my medical in Sep of 2005. I guess look forward to something like visiting the doctors office. Honestly, don't remember a vision test (could be wrong), hearing was in a booth...(you sit in a booth with headphones and push a button on either your left or right side when you hear the beep), breath into a tube like a maniac for like 10 secs, , and in my case...a breast exam, which was super weird. That's it. I heard coughing for guys. One thing...I don't remember a blood test at all. All I remember was a urine and hair test.
              Last edited by MissCadet; 01-30-2006, 04:04 AM.
              "Insane Fish"

Comment

• Thanks guys

Streets, I missed my first POWER test, that's why I'm just taking my med.

Comment

• What are the current lottery numbers being processed now?

Does anyone currently know what number they are on in the lottery? If so what is it?

I also heard they are doing you home interview at headquarters on 35th.

I'm just wondering because my current job is beginning to become a drag. Just wanting and wishing for the job I was made to do to come along.

Does anyone have good news for me?
                  PaTience

Comment

• Originally posted by SeVere
                    Firefighter is a better job PERIOD! Firefighters have the best Part-Time Job in the city. They work 24 Hours on have 48 hours off, get paid to sleep, turn down jobs (i.e. if you listen to a scanner "Fire not responding at this time" so WE check it out for them), and always have other full-time jobs.

When firefighters show up, they are heros. When Police Officers show up, they are second guessed, criticized, and blamed for anything that goes wrong. How many people are glad to see the police at their front door?

I was outbid on a house 3 times by firefighters and their extraneous income.

Firefighters have a higher salary than Police Officers (a little known fact)! They have a "me too" clause in their contract that we do not.

We have a good job too, but we aren't the Fire Department.
                    You need to get your facts straight and lay off the Fire Department. Those guys earn every dollar they get. There is no way I'm going into a burning building. On the street I know who to look out for and how to take care of myself. Like Police Officers, firemen don't get paid for what they do. They get paid for what they might have to do.
                    1 they don't refuse jobs, they have a better system for reviewing calls. We are required to respond to ALL calls for service. They respond if it is determined to be bonafide.
                    2 visit a busy house, they never sleep.
                    3 Yes they are heros so are Police Officers, but we make ourselves look bad just read the news, another off duty drunk cop (DUI) kills another innocent!
                    4 The pay is the same. Daley likes it that way.
                    Last edited by 99Unit; 01-30-2006, 09:08 PM.
                    "We sleep safely in our beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night
                    to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"
                    George Orwell

Comment

• Originally posted by 99Unit
                      You need to get your facts straight and lay off the Fire Department. Those guys earn every dollar they get. There is no way I'm going into a burning building. On the street I know who to look out for and how to take care of myself. Like Police Officers, firemen don't get paid for what they do. They get paid for what they might have to do.
                      1 they don't refuse jobs, they have a better system for reviewing calls. We are required to respond to ALL calls for service. They respond if it is determined to be bonafide.
                      2 visit a busy house, they never sleep.
                      3 Yes they are heros so are Police Officers, but we make ourselves look bad just read the news, another off duty drunk cop (DUI) kills another innocent!
                      4 The pay is the same. Daley likes it that way.
                      The pay IS NOT THE SAME. I hate to inform you of that significant fact. Firefighters get paid more albeit not much more but more nonetheless. FOP had to Bargain to return parity of Detectives with firefighter engineers. That just happened the previous contract. The highest F.D. salary is HIGHER than our max. F.D. has a "Me too" clause in their contract, we do not. You need to get your facts straight and you need to pay better attention to detail.

If you have been around even MORE than one year on the job, you would remember the whole D2A issue and how the D1's were upset that parity was NOT RETURNED to them, but was returned in that contract to the Detectives. Some P.O.'s are still bitter about the D2A issue, so put that in your "get your facts straight pipe and smoke it."

F.D. gets paid to work 24 hours on 48 hours off. If you sleep during your shift it isn't a problem. My point is you do get paid to sleep in that sleep is part of your work day. Don't tell me it isn't. Whether that sleep gets disturbed is not my point. My point is that its there.

I have answered plenty of calls that the F.D. turned down waiting for us to check out. I can give examples, its not important to do so here. Bringing up drunken cops is a real class act. You can't possibly be on the job. There is dirt on firefighters to bring up, but that is neither my intention. I never bashed firefighters.

99 unit...are you actually on the job or an applicant because if you are on the job, it hasn't been for long. The disparity in pay is well known by members of the department. Its not a huge difference but its there.

Maybe we should call you 10-4 because you can't be 99 if you aren't even off probation yet.

Oops, I noticed from your profile you are a LT. Sorry boss, ignore everything I wrote. You are right, sir. I'll definitely "Get My Facts Straight" and "Lay Off the Fire Department." I would think though after 23 years of experience that you would recognize traditional police/fire digs while recognizing that I was definitely not bashing them! Sorry sir, I will make an attempt to correct my infractions so that it does not happen again in the future.

My proof on the wage issue (using information available on the internet for review) Firefighters are 1

Police Pay for January 1, 2004 See Page 109 on the PDF file or 97 in the contract itself. PO's are 1

Looks to me like they get paid more and with their "Me Too" Clauses, they will continue to make more.
                      Last edited by SeVere; 01-31-2006, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by deadbirdie
                        I agree 100% that police & fire work is a calling. However, as SeVere said, you'd have to be naive to believe that these fellas are going to risk their lives day in & day out and not expect to get paid. Lots of cops I know work side jobs because they have to. Most cities, Chicago included, are getting extremely expensive to live in. I imagine if you started out 10-20 years ago, you're doing pretty damn well nowadays. But for those of us just starting out, $300k (or $500k) is alot of money to pay for a house. I think ANY job has a number of factors that one needs to consider, salary of course being an important one. But to think that salary/benefits should not be considered in that decision, is just plain wrong.
                        I wonder what percentage of the city is ghetto......
                        where the bungalo's go for 80,000
                        " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                        " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

• Originally posted by PaTience
                          Does anyone currently know what number they are on in the lottery? If so what is it?

I also heard they are doing you home interview at headquarters on 35th.

I'm just wondering because my current job is beginning to become a drag. Just wanting and wishing for the job I was made to do to come along.

Does anyone have good news for me?
                          The interview location depends on the investigator assigned to do your background. Mine was at home!!

Comment

• I wonder what percentage of the city is ghetto......

Maybe you've been out in Florida a long time...the houses in the ghetto are going for $200k nowadays. There is massive revitalization going on out here. In my old neighborhood, currently a hardcore gang-infested barrio, you can't get a house for under $300k. It's not your father's Chicago.

Comment

• I can tell you this, houses in Englewood arent going for no 200k. Most houses in there average 80k. Who wants to live there though? It's all savages.
                              "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

• I thought i checked out the prices...on a average on what a house was worth, if those house are worth 200,000 plus to whom.....othe parasites\
                                you don't see a eastward movement..crossing kedzie or western into
                                dist 6 or zip 60620.....maybe development is from the fringes of downtown and pushing south and west....in any event, the c.p.d...is earning their pay.
                                " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                                " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9791 users online. 471 members and 9320 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X