Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The letters of recommendation are just that. They can be written by anyone including, teachers, colleagues, friends, family members, and even other department members. Their letters mean no more than the aforementioned ones. They just mean that someone out there thinks you would make a good police officer.

Comment

• Streets you did well and seemed to have been processed rather quickly. I think if you harbor any animosity towards this Chicago psych thing you won't be able to move forward in your testing process. Try to figure out what went wrong and try to fix it. Don't worry about challenging the results of your psych, but worry about never failing another psych or any type of entrance test for that matter. I will give you one real good example from my testing expierience. A few months back I failed a final Power test miserably (17min 45 sec 1.5 mile run and only made 33 sit ups) for a department I had always dreamed of working for. I knew that I really didn't prepare for the run but I was bitter about not getting a second chance. Well it took me like 2 months to get over the sting of failure. During that time several opportunities passed to test for some very solid departments. Instead of testing I obsessed about taking the power test again. Well back in september I vowwed to never fail a power test again. I worked hard and dedicated myself to being a better runner. In the end I overcame this problem and pass the power test regularly with ease. That is exactly what you should do in that you should think about all your answers, heck even call one of the companies to see if you can take a practice psych, do what ever takes so that failure on your psych is your final. That way when the next opportunity with Chicago knocks you will take advantage of it. Lastly do not forget your failures for from them success will come.
      My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert2006
        Streets you did well and seemed to have been processed rather quickly. I think if you harbor any animosity towards this Chicago psych thing you won't be able to move forward in your testing process. Try to figure out what went wrong and try to fix it. Don't worry about challenging the results of your psych, but worry about never failing another psych or any type of entrance test for that matter. I will give you one real good example from my testing expierience. A few months back I failed a final Power test miserably (17min 45 sec 1.5 mile run and only made 33 sit ups) for a department I had always dreamed of working for. I knew that I really didn't prepare for the run but I was bitter about not getting a second chance. Well it took me like 2 months to get over the sting of failure. During that time several opportunities passed to test for some very solid departments. Instead of testing I obsessed about taking the power test again. Well back in september I vowwed to never fail a power test again. I worked hard and dedicated myself to being a better runner. In the end I overcame this problem and pass the power test regularly with ease. That is exactly what you should do in that you should think about all your answers, heck even call one of the companies to see if you can take a practice psych, do what ever takes so that failure on your psych is your final. That way when the next opportunity with Chicago knocks you will take advantage of it. Lastly do not forget your failures for from them success will come.
        Hey Robert2006...r u still waiting to meet with ur Background Investigator or did u meet with ur BI already and waiting for the final power test? i took the test in Nov 2004.

Comment

• Not yet with Chicago. Am taking the exam on the 18th of feb. This was with a sububan department that I failed power test.
          My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

• I went to the workshop today. The bluk of it was geared toward the upcoming CFD exam. Nonetheless, I'm glad I went.

Comment

• I went to the workshop today. The bluk of it was geared toward the upcoming CFD exam. Nonetheless, I'm glad I went.

I also attended the workshop. There were some good techniques for test-taking, i'm also glad I went.

My entire class, except myself, were there for CFD. The CPD Sgt. that talked to us during the class said that CPD are expecting 7,500 for 4 tests this year. CFD, on the other hand, is expecting 25-30,000! Amazing! Even cops want to be fire fighters. I don't understand the appeal, but i'm sure they're both great jobs to have.

Comment

• Did he mean 7,500 for each exam or 7,500 total for all four?

I was one of two in my class going for CPD. All the rest plan on applying to CFD when the exam is (suppossed to be) announnced on the 1st.

The turnout is probably so high for CFD because they test once every 10 years or so. They plan on testing more often after this exam. Who knows...

Comment

• Originally posted by deadbirdie
                  The CPD Sgt. that talked to us during the class said that CPD are expecting 7,500 for 4 tests this year. CFD, on the other hand, is expecting 25-30,000! Amazing! Even cops want to be fire fighters. I don't understand the appeal, but i'm sure they're both great jobs to have.
                  Firefighter is a better job PERIOD! Firefighters have the best Part-Time Job in the city. They work 24 Hours on have 48 hours off, get paid to sleep, turn down jobs (i.e. if you listen to a scanner "Fire not responding at this time" so WE check it out for them), and always have other full-time jobs.

When firefighters show up, they are heros. When Police Officers show up, they are second guessed, criticized, and blamed for anything that goes wrong. How many people are glad to see the police at their front door?

I was outbid on a house 3 times by firefighters and their extraneous income.

Firefighters have a higher salary than Police Officers (a little known fact)! They have a "me too" clause in their contract that we do not.

We have a good job too, but we aren't the Fire Department.

Comment

• Did he mean 7,500 for each exam or 7,500 total for all four?
                    The Sgt. told us that it was 7,500 total for all 4 exams at all locations.

SeVere: I didn't realize the firefighters had it so good! A few people were telling me they know of alot of CPD that are planning on taking the CFD exam, so that tells you something.

Comment

Since there are already 7,500 people signed up for the Feb Exam, I'd guess they mean 7,500 at each test, but something tells me that the future tests this year are going to have less people.

Comment

I believe this is incorrect. Initially 4,000 people applied for the February exam. Then they extended the deadline and got 3,500 more people. 5,000 applicants will take the test in February. The remaining 2,500 including myself will take the test in May along with new applicants. They will take applications for the May exam again starting in February. What they want to do is test 5,000 people at each of the test this year and sift through, hiring only the best ones. That's what i heard and I think it makes sense.
                        Speaking of firefighters - there are thousands of potential candidates (I heard 40,000) and one of the reasons for it is that all you have to have is a High Shool Diploma - no college required plus like Severe said, their job is much different and is "PART-TIME". The bad news is that out of all of those only few hundred will get hired.

Comment

• Really, that's it...only a high school diploma for the CFD? I seriously think both the CPD and CFD should make a four-year degree a requirement. As for the comment that there are some cops that want to be firefighters, it's really disappointing to know that some officers only care about making more money. I really think becoming an officer or firefighter is a calling and factors such as salary/benefits should not play a role in determining your decision. Personally, I will be graduating with a double major in accounting and finance from DePaul this June and have accepted an audit position with an accouniting firm; however, if and when I successfully pass all the phases of the CPD exam I will not hesitate to leave for lower pay. My point is that if you really want a financially rewarding career, I think you're better off going to college and getting an accounting degree or something. You'll be making lots of money there. Going into public service, you should know what you're getting into and not to expect a big paycheck.

Comment

• Not to get this thread too far off topic, but since we are discussing the fire department i'm curious.... Does anyone know what the differnece in starting pay is between the PD and FD? I know PD starts at about 42k, but i have no idea what the FD starting salary is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sal83
                              Really, that's it...only a high school diploma for the CFD? I seriously think both the CPD and CFD should make a four-year degree a requirement. As for the comment that there are some cops that want to be firefighters, it's really disappointing to know that some officers only care about making more money. I really think becoming an officer or firefighter is a calling and factors such as salary/benefits should not play a role in determining your decision. Personally, I will be graduating with a double major in accounting and finance from DePaul this June and have accepted an audit position with an accouniting firm; however, if and when I successfully pass all the phases of the CPD exam I will not hesitate to leave for lower pay. My point is that if you really want a financially rewarding career, I think you're better off going to college and getting an accounting degree or something. You'll be making lots of money there. Going into public service, you should know what you're getting into and not to expect a big paycheck.
                              Well I find it disappointing that a CPD applicant is that Naive. How can you seriously come on this board and condemn police officers or anyone else for having aspirations to provide a higher salary for themselves and their families?

Say that stuff, AFTER a few years on the job, Kid. Working Conditions ARE VERY important. I predict that within a few years of pounding a beat car, if you don't get made a Detective or Supervisor, you will be on here complaining how you have all of this education but can't get ahead in the Department. It isn't ALL about the money but feeding your family and providing is very important.

I have a degree. I still want to obtain promotions to bring home the bacon. This is a career, it is NOT charity work. You sound like an idealistic college student applicant, who does not have a clue about the real world yet. I do police work as a profession, it pays the bills, and is a good job. Live life for a while then come talk to us about your noble sentiment.

Say all these things after a few years on the job. I doubt you will. I did not come on this job to get rich, but I did come on the job to make a living.

Wanting to make more money to feed my family is my obligation. You can take your disappointment and pound salt. Remember, when you get on, don't take any promotional tests. After all, you signed on to be a Police Officer, not a Sergeant or Lieutenant. This will help me and others who have aspirations for promotion because there will be one less educated person with which to compete.

Make sure you tell everyone in the Academy your feelings about how you think its disappointing for police officers to want a higher salary. You will definitely be very popular.

You also tell me about not needing more money when some guy that's retiring looks at you straight in the eye and tells you that he will sell you his 2 bedroom 1 bath house at a bargain for $500,000 just because you are a fellow officer.

Good Luck. Thanks for the lecture, kid.
                              Last edited by SeVere; 01-29-2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• I really think becoming an officer or firefighter is a calling and factors such as salary/benefits should not play a role in determining your decision. Personally, I will be graduating with a double major in accounting and finance from DePaul this June and have accepted an audit position with an accouniting firm; however, if and when I successfully pass all the phases of the CPD exam I will not hesitate to leave for lower pay.
                                I agree 100% that police & fire work is a calling. However, as SeVere said, you'd have to be naive to believe that these fellas are going to risk their lives day in & day out and not expect to get paid. Lots of cops I know work side jobs because they have to. Most cities, Chicago included, are getting extremely expensive to live in. I imagine if you started out 10-20 years ago, you're doing pretty damn well nowadays. But for those of us just starting out, $300k (or $500k) is alot of money to pay for a house. I think ANY job has a number of factors that one needs to consider, salary of course being an important one. But to think that salary/benefits should not be considered in that decision, is just plain wrong.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10063 users online. 470 members and 9593 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X