Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this effect my Law Enforcement chances?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this effect my Law Enforcement chances?

Hey guys, I figured I'd come here to ask since you guys all have such a great knowledge. Now my question. I have been testing for about 2 years now. I'm top 20 on about 8 lists. Now heres my question. I was arrested for simple battery 3 months ago. It was in self defense and the charges were dropped against me. Will this hurt me? also, should I get it expunged or would that be worthless since the charges were dismissed?

Originally posted by Rnelson View Post
    Hey guys, I figured I'd come here to ask since you guys all have such a great knowledge. Now my question. I have been testing for about 2 years now. I'm top 20 on about 8 lists. Now heres my question. I was arrested for simple battery 3 months ago. It was in self defense and the charges were dropped against me. Will this hurt me? also, should I get it expunged or would that be worthless since the charges were dismissed?
    As long as you're upfront about it, meaning they find it out from you first, it shouldn't be a problem.

That, and tell them exactly how it all went down, details and truth go a long way with investigators. I'm sure members would tell you to get it expunged too, but you'll still need to be honest and upfront about it. Don't go about it like it never happened.

Comment

Wait a second, didn't you already make a thread about this and it's already been gone over and answered? Why are you asking again?

http://forums.officer.com/t205590/

Comment

Sorry I just am looking for some guidance cause I'm so worried. I was falsely arrested and the person didnt show up to court and it got dismissed. I'm just so nervous because I want this so bad.

Comment

If it was self defense and dropped...it shouldnt be an issue. Like stated above...be up front about it. My assumption is it shouldn't be that much of an issue, but it also depends on agency you applying for. Good luck. Worry less and stay focused. Be prepared to be honest about the sitiation.

Comment

I know a guy who cracked someone's jaw in college and got arrested for battery and he is a cop now.The "i know a guy" argument isn't a great one because every situation is different and ever department is different. But i don't think your issue will automatically disqualify you for an entry level law enforcement position. Just keep trying and don't lie about it. At all.

Comment

LMAO this is funny because i might know this same guy. He did eventually get hired somewhere but not until after the arrests were expunged. sooo id say it depends on the department or just get it expunged ASAP if youre worried about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MP08 View Post
                LMAO this is funny because i might know this same guy. He did eventually get hired somewhere but not until after the arrests were expunged. sooo id say it depends on the department or just get it expunged ASAP if youre worried about it.
                Expunge it and keep testing. Call the Illinois State Appellate Defender and ask them all about your concerns. They should answer all your questions with facts about expungement and what are your requirements. Good luck!

Comment

Did you get a copy of the arrest and case report yet?

Comment

Having it expunged would be worthless since any LE agency would find it anyway

You will tell EVERY agency you are in process with about the incident............provide them police reports generated and any and all documents that confirm the charges were "dropped"

It was in self defense of a family member
                    By definition that makes it NOT SELF-DEFENSE

Sorry I just am looking for some guidance cause I'm so worried. I was falsely arrested and the person didnt show up to court and it got dismissed. I'm just so nervous because I want this so bad.
                    Ok.................that is not the same thing as being acquitted or the charges being dropped by the courts.............this makes the "incident' VERY ambiguous and will take a lot more explaination
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Where have I seen this before?

Comment

Personal opinion, I don't hire people.

Family member? DV? I would say that is rough. Red flag in background and psych will grill you on it. Keep on trying tho.

Comment

Wasn't a family member or a domestic incident if that helps

Comment

Disregard........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9663 users online. 397 members and 9266 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X