Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age limit - Municipal Agencies in Illinois????

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age limit - Municipal Agencies in Illinois????

I've noted for sometime now that most city agencies have a max hiring age of 35 y.o.a. with some exceptions for sworn officer positions. I went looking for the exceptions and ran across this language from the ILCS:

(d) The age limitation in subsection (a) does not apply (i) to any person previously employed as a policeman or fireman in a regularly constituted police or fire department of (I) any municipality, regardless of whether the municipality is located in Illinois or in another state, or (II) a fire protection district whose obligations were assumed by a municipality under Section 21 of the Fire Protection District Act, (ii) to any person who has served a municipality as a regularly enrolled volunteer fireman for 5 years immediately preceding the time that municipality begins to use full time firemen to provide all or part of its fire protection service, or (iii) to any person who has served as an auxiliary police officer under Section 3.1-30-20 for at least 5 years and is under 40 years of age, (iv) to any person who has served as a deputy under Section 3-6008 of the Counties Code and otherwise meets necessary training requirements, or (v) to any person who has served as a sworn officer as a member of the Illinois Department of State Police.

The way I read this portion of the code (Part D) is any previous service officer (Good Standing) from ANY municipal police agency from any state (Illinois included), any prior service Deputy (only from Illinois), and any state police officer from only Illinois is exempt from the 35 year age limit.

Is that an accurate explanation of that part of the statute?
    Last edited by 10-Roger; 06-12-2016, 03:42 PM.
    SPSC 262

There is also an active duty veteran exception also

Comment

Yes. You are right. Certified Officer's are basically exempt.

Comment

I'm clear on the other exemptions too but only CERTIFIED MUNICIPAL OFFICER'S from any state are excluded, correct?

A deputy sheriff from Ohio who is 37 years old and has 12 years as a certified, sworn patrol officer would not as I read that code.

A state trooper from Iowa who is 40 years old and has 17 years with the Iowa State Patrol as a trooper would not be able to apply for a municipality under the exemptions.

A fully police powered state conservation officer would not be exempt under this portion of the code.

A Federal police officer in Washington D.C. working for protective services, trained through FLETC who is over age 35 with 10 years experience would not be exempt.

Only those who are:
        -Municipality officers from any state (I)
        -Deputy Sheriffs from Illinois (iv)
        -Illinois State Police Troopers (v)
        are exempt from the age limit of 35? (not including those mentioned for fire service time and auxiliary officers - (II, ii, iii)

I don't see also that an Illinois DNR CPO would be exempt from the 35 year age limit either?
        SPSC 262

Comment

Originally posted by 10-Roger View Post
          I'm clear on the other exemptions too but only CERTIFIED MUNICIPAL OFFICER'S from any state are excluded, correct?

A deputy sheriff from Ohio who is 37 years old and has 12 years as a certified, sworn patrol officer would not as I read that code.

A state trooper from Iowa who is 40 years old and has 17 years with the Iowa State Patrol as a trooper would not be able to apply for a municipality under the exemptions.

A fully police powered state conservation officer would not be exempt under this portion of the code.

A Federal police officer in Washington D.C. working for protective services, trained through FLETC who is over age 35 with 10 years experience would not be exempt.

Only those who are:
          -Municipality officers from any state (I)
          -Deputy Sheriffs from Illinois (iv)
          -Illinois State Police Troopers (v)
          are exempt from the age limit of 35? (not including those mentioned for fire service time and auxiliary officers - (II, ii, iii)

I don't see also that an Illinois DNR CPO would be exempt from the 35 year age limit either?
          How old are you and where do you work?

Comment

Oh it isn't me... When I retire in a few years.... I'll be done. I have no plans to return to the state of Illinois as a resident. I had this conversation with a roommate from college a couple years ago who is chief now at a suburb PD. We have a mutual friend who wanted to retire in 2017 from an agency in the east and move back to Illinois and start on a second pension. He is with a township PD which isn't really a municipality.... The soon to retire friend and I talked about it a couple weeks ago again and he has gotten conflicting reports when he reached out to some recruiter contacts at PD's. I just started looking for something in a code or statute. When I found this, it seemed either conspicuously vague or very purposely tight. I just wondered if anyone had examples or knew of instances that were outside of the specific language like a county deputy, out of state trooper, federal law enforcement, etc. being exempted.
            SPSC 262

Comment

So this statute from ILCS is only for municipalities, correct? Because there doesn't seem to be an age restriction for ISP. Only a mandatory retirement age.

Comment

How about someone who is 35 y/o or older who works for Cook County as a Correctional Ofc/Deputy Sheriff, could they apply to a pd even though they arent p/o's ?

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                  scotty_appleton814 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If he that person works the road, yes. But if they have only been a corrections deputy, I can see departments balking at that. Even though you are deputized you are still not responsible for enforcing the entire ILCS like a road cop would be. That's how it works if not mistaken, but I could be. That's why you have to look things up sometimes.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7079 users online. 227 members and 6852 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X