300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTI Academy

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about what to expect for recruits going to PTI at U of I next month?

Not speaking from personal experience, but I had a friend that went through a while back. She said staff would attack you during class by surprise and you had to get the cuffs on them lol. PT was pretty much everyday and I remember seeing her with a lot of bruises. So expect to work! Other than that she said it was a laid back atmosphere, not paramilitary.

Comment

Disregard...
      Last edited by southpaw1; 02-24-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Living quarters are similar to that of a University dorm. 2-3 to a room, but don't quote me on that. Im not sure if they make you leave on Fridays on not. She would be back every weekend, except one weekend when she had to do rifle training, but that training is at the discretion of the department you were hired by.

Comment

Last edited by southpaw1; 05-31-2017, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I just completed an Illinois Academy that is similar to PTI, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Comment

I went in summer last year and you live in apartments on the edge of campus. They suck (old and dirty). You live with 2 other guys. You are allowed to stay during the weekend...there is no curfew on the weekend. I think the PTI building is closed during the weekend, but a few of us got gym memberships at the rec for the 3 months we were there...well worth it. Most people drive home for the weekends but there are a few that stay.

Comment

Disregard...
                Last edited by southpaw1; 06-14-2016, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagohawks View Post
                  I went in summer last year and you live in apartments on the edge of campus. They suck (old and dirty). You live with 2 other guys. You are allowed to stay during the weekend...there is no curfew on the weekend. I think the PTI building is closed during the weekend, but a few of us got gym memberships at the rec for the 3 months we were there...well worth it. Most people drive home for the weekends but there are a few that stay.
                  By old and dirty, what do you mean? Is there mold or rodents or something? Or are they just lived-in? Do you get separate rooms, or is it just one bedroom for three people?

Comment

Also, if you have the funds, are there places out there that will allow you to stay for the three months the academy lasts, or do you have to live in the dorms/apartments provided?

Comment

They are just old and run down. Not terrible. Never had issues with bugs but there were traps in the cabinets. They are 2 bed 1 bath. So 2 guys double up. The other people that live in the apartments for some reason like to move their furniture around at like 2am. Paper thin walls. You'll see. Haha. You have to live in the dorms during the week. All in all though great experience.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagohawks View Post
                        They are just old and run down. Not terrible. Never had issues with bugs but there were traps in the cabinets. They are 2 bed 1 bath. So 2 guys double up. The other people that live in the apartments for some reason like to move their furniture around at like 2am. Paper thin walls. You'll see. Haha. You have to live in the dorms during the week. All in all though great experience.
                        I already deal with my upstairs neighbors moving furniture at 2AM where I live now, so BTDT lol. Sounds like typical apartment life. Cool, thanks for the info!

Comment

I'll try to be as helpful as I can.

Clothing/Uniform:

I believe you have to report in a polo shirt and navy blue pants. Don't go out and buy expensive clothing for the academy. The polo shirt you have to report in, you'll never wear again while you're down there. They will issue you PTI polos. So lay off the $60 polo from Macys. Spend the gift card grandma gave you on somethin else. Same goes for the pants, they require navy blue pants. If your dept uniform is navy blue, you can wear them as long as they arent the cargo swat lookin style. If you need to buy pants, walmart has $11 pairs that'll work just fine. 1 or 2 pairs (if youre a clean freak) will be enough. You'll be changing in and out of uniforms every day. I believe there are 4 possible uniforms any class may require. For PT you'll have to bring your white t shirts with your name on the back. I believe they say 10 shirts. My department ordered and paid for mine. If you're on your own for those shirts, 5 will be more than enough. As for PT bottoms, they say they want solid navy blue. Thats what your reporting papers say. Im telling you they dont care what you wear. As long as its athletic and reasonable they dont care what colors. Leave your swishy pants at home tho. Thats just creepy.

Living Arrangements:

Someone already touched on this and covered it very well. You'll be living at the far edge of campus. Its 3 recruits to an apartment. Randomly chosen by PTI well before you walk up those steps for the first time. No, fellas you're not getting paired up with the hot chick. I believe the apartments are where the foreign exchange families stay. And the 2am furniture moving is very true. You'll need all the necessities of living for 3 months. The apartments are furnished but you gotta bring your own tv, cleaning supplies, toiletries, and anything else you want. So be nice to your mother before you jack that 30 roll pack of toliet paper she just bought for the house. Sort that stuff out with your roommates.

Environment
                          You'll spend every minute on campus of the top party school in the nation. (Princeton Review:2015) Mr. Deakin will clap his hands together and tell you booze gets every class in trouble. This is not a scare tactic. The man is speakin the truth. I promise you, someone will mess up. Hopefully not getting your whole class in trouble. Curfew is 7pm the first 2 weeks i think. Then its 9pm monday-thursday. Then 11pm on sunday. Dont push your luck. They will do room checks. Just not as often as they threat. But dont mess with it, lets not forget why youre there. Btw... The scenery down there is top notch.

Classes:

All classes are in 4 hour blocks. So you'll have 40 hours of firearms but never for more than 4 hours a day. Some academies will do firearms in 1 40 hour week. Thats not the case at PTI. Lots of hands on learning and very little classroom time for all topics. If they are still teaching cultural diversity in the same fashion they were when i was there, get ready for some major eye rolling. Terrible way of instructing. But they are ever improving at PTI and the director is a great guy, so he probably cleaned that mess up.

Thats enough for now. Good luck, its the best academy in the state!
                          Last edited by SLy BLue ; 06-10-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I was wondering how the power test is run at the institute. Is the bench machine or free weights? The Pre-power test is September 6th and the academy and begins the 26th. Do you just have to take the power test once on the sixth or are there other dates throughout where you need to pass it again?

Comment

I believe its bench machine from what i remember. If you have to take power test its within that first week and you don't take it anymore...but that was 10 years ago too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11639 users online. 441 members and 11198 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X