300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Structured Oral Interview tips?

Hey guys, I have an oral board interview coming up but the place I applied to call it a Structured Oral Interview and the way it works is they ask you five questions and you have 2-5 minutes to answer it, and that's the entire interview. Has anyone had these before? First time I heard of it lol.

I had something similar wexperience had 15 minutes to answer 11 questions. We were interviewed by a outside civil service person and the whole process was taped l. We then had to go to another room and be taped doing a role play exercise.

Comment

Yup! It will be weird as it'll feel more like an interrogation than an interview if they do it similar to the way mines was administered. However, take your time and make sure you answer the ENTIRE question.....some of them will have more than one part. Don't think about what they would want to hear, just answer the questions to the best of your ability.

Comment

Haha wow that's crazy I don't think mine will be too weird the HR person told me it was just going to be 5 timed scenario questions. Do you guys remember what was asked? I assume they would be questions like "what would you do if X did this" or "would you arrest your father for a DUI".

Comment

Originally posted by Arbiter7 View Post
          Haha wow that's crazy I don't think mine will be too weird the HR person told me it was just going to be 5 timed scenario questions. Do you guys remember what was asked? I assume they would be questions like "what would you do if X did this" or "would you arrest your father for a DUI".
          They are gonna ask questions to evaluate your thought process

Comment

Over all my interviews I've had a numer of different questions.

Why do you want to be a cop.

You arrive at a house, your partner hands you a child whose father shoved paper towels in his mouth to stop crying, what do you do.

You are called to a elementary school for a shooting. You hear gun fire around the back. As you progress you see multiple dead children. When you reach the gun fire you see a child holding a gun to another. What do you do.

You go into a bakery for an alarm late at night. After inspection you notice your partner taking a cookie off the shelf without paying. What do you do.

You smell alcohol on your best friends breath at shift change. Went through the Academy with this person. What do you do.

Your first week on the job you witness two officers using excessive force on a suspect. They are senior officers. They then hand you a baton and tell you it's your turn. What do you do.

These are just some of the questions I've been asked. I've also had to do a actual role play scenario and for the department I was just hired onto we had to do 8 different video scenarios where we were given 45 seconds to respond and taped during so we could be graded.

Good luck

Comment

That was the very first interview type i had to do some 4 or 5 years ago for Plano, Il. Back when Public Safety Recruitment firm did them.

I had to go into a room by myself with just a video camera and tape recorder. They pressed play and walked out, and the tape recorder asked 5 different questions, giving you like 2-3 minutes to answer. It was very bizarre for me, just an awkward situation. That's probably one of the things they look for to is how you handle yourself in weird situations like that.

Comment

Originally posted by teufelhunden88 View Post
                Over all my interviews I've had a numer of different questions.

Why do you want to be a cop.

You arrive at a house, your partner hands you a child whose father shoved paper towels in his mouth to stop crying, what do you do.

You are called to a elementary school for a shooting. You hear gun fire around the back. As you progress you see multiple dead children. When you reach the gun fire you see a child holding a gun to another. What do you do.

You go into a bakery for an alarm late at night. After inspection you notice your partner taking a cookie off the shelf without paying. What do you do.

You smell alcohol on your best friends breath at shift change. Went through the Academy with this person. What do you do.

Your first week on the job you witness two officers using excessive force on a suspect. They are senior officers. They then hand you a baton and tell you it's your turn. What do you do.

These are just some of the questions I've been asked. I've also had to do a actual role play scenario and for the department I was just hired onto we had to do 8 different video scenarios where we were given 45 seconds to respond and taped during so we could be graded.

Good luck
                Thanks for the examples! Just out of curiosity, how did you answer the first two?

My answer to the first one would be to calm the child down and hand him over to another officer so I can help my partner find the father.

My answer to the second one would be to shoot the child immediately. He already killed a couple and is about to kill one more, so I would have to take the shot.

Comment

Well in the first example the child isnt breathing due to the paper towels down his throat. I would just stick to how you feel you should answer them, they want your answers not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by teufelhunden88 View Post
                    Well in the first example the child isnt breathing due to the paper towels down his throat. I would just stick to how you feel you should answer them, they want your answers not mine.
                    Ah not breathing that changes everything lol and yeah I hear you whatever happens happens like you said just say what I think is right thanks for the advice brother!

Comment

Try to be your easy going self. Don't give them the usual BS answers like I want to help people etc. They're not looking for church going citizens lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10923 users online. 540 members and 10383 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X