300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys handle Oral Boards?

I just can't do them. I test really well, I have the requirements, it's just that the oral kills me. For the life of me I just can't get it together and calm myself. I don't know if it's because I want it so bad and I psych myself out. I don't know how to beat this. Can anyone relate?

How do you guys handle Oral Boards?

Originally posted by Rnelson View Post
    I just can't do them. I test really well, I have the requirements, it's just that the oral kills me. For the life of me I just can't get it together and calm myself. I don't know if it's because I want it so bad and I psych myself out. I don't know how to beat this. Can anyone relate?
    It's natural to be nervous, but you HAVE to channel the energy! Think about this: An oral interview panel is not nearly as nerve racking as a crowed of amped up protestors. Or a domestic where 20 family members are yelling. How about a shooting, suicide etc, and you are the first guy on scene?

Everyone gets nervous. You just have to find away to channel it because the interview is nothing like real life.

How many interviews have you had. The more interviews you do, the better you will be. I knew it when I nailed interviews with 2 different departments. I also know when I did not nail it before. Thankfully I was in the position where I got to chose the department as both offered me at nearly the same time.

Comment

Understandable to be nervous, I sure as hell was with my first ones. You just have to compose yourself and relax. It's a "Fight or Flight" type situation. If you can't learn to handle an oral board, you will have very serious trouble being a police officer. Being in front of crowds of people sometimes, you'll have to interact with and respond in a certain way. It can go very badly if you don't do things a certain way on the job. Life threatening at times. Think about that, and an oral board should be a walk in the park in comparison.

Comment

How many board interviews have you done? It's totally normal to be nervous in your first two or even three. After that, you should have a good idea of what the questions are like in most interviews and should be more comfortable with how you answer. If you work at it you will get better, believe me. I spent countless hours doing mock interviews and preparing before I got hired. If you REALLY want it you'll find a way!

Comment

Something I did to prepare was to write down every possible question I thought they could ask down and write down my answer. Will it sound scripted? Doubtful because in the heat of them moment you use your studied answer as a reference source rather than cut and paste response. I've done 5 interviews if you count the chief interviews and this method served me well. Always know the department, why you want to be a cop and where you see yourself in the future at their department. "I want to serve and protect" isn't a good answer btw. Just remember that everyone on that oral board puts their pants on one leg at a time, they are no different than you. On the other hand when you reply to why do you want to be a cop or what's your biggest weakness and your response is "serve and protect or I just try to hard at everything I do", the interviewers will probably just go into auto pilot.

Comment

What they said!!! PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. In time your delivery will improve. Rarely in this profession will people get hired the first time out, or the first few times for that matter. Especially in Illinois. Test as much as possible and use each experience to your advantage. Like others have said, they are people just like you. Soon you'll realize that it's not so bad. Lastly, everyone gets nervous (butterflies in your stomach) and associate it with fear. Take a deep breath, focus, and knock that $#@! out. Remember, people have done some amazing things when they were scared. It's all about channeling that energy.

Comment

Pretend that the oral panel members are long lost relatives you are meeting fore the first time and are trying to learn about you as a family member by asking questions. It often makes things a lot easier.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Or you can just imagine everyone in their undies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
                  Or you can just imagine everyone in their undies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  Knee pads help too.

Comment

Originally posted by NoBody312 View Post
                    Knee pads help too.
                    I thought this thread is about an entry level oral, not a promotional?????

Comment

Gotta get on to get those stripes.

Lol.

Comment

Don't call the Commissioners by their first names and try to keep passing gas down to a minimum during the interview. Maybe bring a pizza to the oral board (which is mandatory for promotional interviews).

Comment

Apply to as many departments as you can. From there attend as many oral interviews as you can. The more you do it the easier it'll be. Plus, some of the questions may be repeats and you might already have an answer for them.

My first two I was nervous and didn't do so well. After that I started becoming better at them because I realized these are just people too. try to answer whats best for the department (i.e. bad publicity if you let the mayor's son off a ticket, etc).

I also googled top interview questions and answered each one one paper. This way I had some idea of how I would answer certain questions.

good luck and don't get bummed if you don't ace every oral interview.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11810 users online. 462 members and 11348 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X