300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedford park pd

Does anyone have any information on this department? The population to officer ratio is intriguing, at 600 pop vs 36 POs, and since they are hiring I decided to begin a discussion. Truth be told, I know next to nothing about the town. So any information will be news to me

Thanks

Looks like a wealthy suburb of Chicago. You'd basically be keeping the riffraff out, it appears. However, I know only what I've seen on their website after a quick Google search. Also, I've been drinking, so don't hold me to that. Or do. I don't really care at the moment. :-)

"The more you know, the more you know you don't know." -Aristotle
    "To know that you know what you know and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knowledge." - Unknown

Comment

Here's an interesting aspect:

As of the census of 2000, there were 574 people, 211 households, and 160 families residing in the village. The population density was 96.2 people per square mile (37.1/km²). There were 218 housing units at an average density of 36.5 per square mile (14.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 96.86% White, 1.05% African American, 0.52% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.17% from other races, and 1.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.62% of the population.
      The top three ancestries reported in Bedford Park as of the 2000 census were Irish (26.2%), German (24.9%) and Polish (19.6%).

Do you think that this factor would have an affect on the type of policing there?

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

The town is mostly factories and retail strip malls and hotels on Cicero Av. The residential area is only about 4 blocks by 4 blocks off Archer Av. Their daytime population is pretty big because of the industrial area. Bedford borders Chicago on the north and east, Burbank on the south, Summit and Bridgeview on the west. They got it all, Det's, K-9, E/T's, South Sub. Major Crimes T/F. etc. All full time officers, no part time. Their station is the old Cook Co. Sheriff's Police substation on Archer, which has been remodeled a few times. One car every shift is assigned to that residential area. Their only problem area is the commercial shopping area on Cicero Av. across from Ford City.

The town is flush with money because of the hotel tax, railroad intermodal yard (tax on each container on or off trains), and the water pipeline that runs through town that carried City water to Oak Lawn, which then sells it to the southwest suburbs. Bedford is not in the downstate pension plan for Police, but in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Plan, but the village workers don't seem to mind. They have a full time Fire Dept. and 3 firehouses in town. You are not going to "run and gun" in Bedford Pk., but they do pay well, have a stable tax base, are flush with money from all the commercial and industrial tax, and most people on their PD don't leave. Is a place that you can make a career out of. Most of their guys, after being there a couple years, make $100K + per year. Every guy I've run into from BP have been good guys.
        Last edited by ChiTownDet; 04-15-2016, 07:58 AM.

Comment

It's not a wealthy suburb as in the residents are affluent. But the town itself does quite well. ChiTown is spot on with most points. I spent almost 9 years there until I left for greener pastures 10 years ago (yes, I'm one of the few who escaped. Lol). Good pay, it seems like equipment got better. It sucked when I was there. All around a good group of guys. The admin still has their head in the sand that they are bordering on rough areas of the City. Would I recommend testing and trying to get on there, absolutely. Could I picture myself returning, never. Not unless I was made Chief. Ha. But I still keep in contact with some guys on a semi-regular basis. So your coworkers would never be a problem, solid crew. But the inherent problems in small town politics are alive and well. Problem is you have a rather small pool of people at the helm of a multi-multi million dollar entity.
          www.saveavet.org

Comment

But to get a bit more into being the Police there. Usually 4-5 patrol plus a boss or 2 a shift. 1 car is stuck in the residential. We called it "The Box" since you just go around in circles and can drive you insane. They generally treat the K-9 unit like crap. I was the one who created the first unit in 2001 and it's the very reason why I left in 2006. There are I think 3 dets. Have a guy detailed out to a HIDTA dope unit. Other than that, it's all patrol. Cicero Ave area can go up for grabs and then you are waiting for Burbank and Oak Lawn to help on backing. Overall not a hopping town, but you always felt in the air there was that potential for something to go sideways. As an example, border Chicago on 2 sides and they really never communicate with surrounding areas. More blaming their dispatch than anything. So next thing you know, you see a sea of blue lights, offender crashes, see 4 bailing from the offending car, help in chase. Then it's not until after the fact you learn all involved were shooters in a drive by. That kind of thing.
            www.saveavet.org

Comment

^ definately a dispatch thing. Like finding out that Bedford is involved in a pursuit involving a retail theft with a stolen car from a vehicular hijacking and not being told about any of it until it is well out of their town and into yours, lol.

Comment

Disregard...
                Last edited by southpaw1; 12-27-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Disregard...
                  Last edited by southpaw1; 04-16-2016, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Yeah, there were tons of times I had to sit on a City accident. CFD would arrive on scene, load up the patients and head off to Christ. We were basically left telling the people "sorry" and would clear after sitting there for 30 minutes and leave crumpled cars in the intersection. My favorite would be when a CPD Sgt. that wouldn't be familiar with the 8th Dist. boundaries would show up on an incident that was on the City side and ask "hey you guys need anything?". Then I would be able to drop, "nope, just waiting on you guys to handle what's in your town". Now I never said it like a jerk, and they knew I was kidding, but was funny when a CPD Boss would show up and think they were giving us a hand, then they realized we just handed them a cluster. Now I'm not at all ragging on CPD. I know they were always slammed with no manpower and I met a ton of good guys there. So I have nothing but love for the guys I dealt with. It's just a screwed up area of jurisdiction.
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

It's not just a Bedford thing though. When you work a town that borders anything Chicago, Chicago never wants to come out to handle it. You can have wrecked cars, through a fence, with injury, and you'll get scoffs and huffs from OEMC when you say it's on their side. Most of the time they say just to send them into the District for the report. Uhhh, their vehicle needs to be towed and FD is on scene... How do they get to the District exactly...? Lol. Yet I always found it funny if there was something on their side NOT accident related. Suddenly you have half the District show up, lol.

Comment

So just make all those accidents shots fired or subjects fighting...
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Exactly, lol. "Where's the active shooter, gang related, multiple weapons involved, roll over with Officer down at"??? "PSYCH! I got a nice fender-bender for you though on your side, see you later"!!

...Might get a write up for that though, lol.

Comment

Disregard...
                            Last edited by southpaw1; 12-27-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
                              It's not just a Bedford thing though. When you work a town that borders anything Chicago, Chicago never wants to come out to handle it. You can have wrecked cars, through a fence, with injury, and you'll get scoffs and huffs from OEMC when you say it's on their side. Most of the time they say just to send them into the District for the report. Uhhh, their vehicle needs to be towed and FD is on scene... How do they get to the District exactly...? Lol. Yet I always found it funny if there was something on their side NOT accident related. Suddenly you have half the District show up, lol.
                              It's like waiting for them to pick-up or drop-off a warrant. You'd be better off ruck marching to the district yourself. There is a certain upstanding suburb that is the same. You say you have a gunshot victim that says he was shot in our town? Nope, no shooting happened here. In fact, that address doesn't exist. You say you have one of our warrant subjects and want to drop him off? Ummm....we're too busy to come to our border to pick him up. Take him back with you and we'll get him eventually. Or one of my other favorites...suggesting to one of their vics that our guys might be nice enough to give him a ride home to another town on the other side of our town.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11282 users online. 471 members and 10811 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X