• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preckwinkle PD

An interesting read...

http://chicago.suntimes.com/columnis...ush-for-power/

Preckwinkle’s push for power

While Toni Preckwinkle finally and dramatically showed her clout in Tuesday’s election, the Cook County Board president also was making a move to increase her muscle.

Preckwinkle powered former top aide Kim Foxx to the Democratic nomination for Cook County state’s attorney. And she has been quietly maneuvering in Springfield to increase the powers of her Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

A bill introduced in the state capitol on March 8 would create a new county police force answering to Preckwinkle. Senate Bill 3076 would give police powers to members of the homeland security department. Under the legislation, the agency would have authority to grant “peace officers’ duties and compensation” to its employees.

Those newly deputized officers “shall have the power to investigate and mitigate threats of manmade disasters, protect the county’s critical infrastructure, have access to law enforcement databases, protect the county’s emergency assets and personnel that get deployed upon the request of local law enforcement agencies in emergency circumstances, protect county elected officials as requested and observe and enforce local, county and state ordinances and laws,” according to the Illinois General Assembly’s website.

Preckwinkle aides said neither she nor her director of homeland security were free to discuss SB 3067 on Wednesday. But in a statement sent from the department, officials said the agency “is seeking Law Enforcement Agency (LEA) status so it can effectively support and protect 134 municipalities and their residents.”

According to the statement, the homeland security department wants to have “access to critical law enforcement and counterterrorism information” that’s not available to it without LEA status.

The department also wants to deputize officers to protect personnel and expensive equipment that the county deploys to emergency incidents, Preckwinkle aides say.

I wondered what it would cost for the cash-strapped county — which already has a large contingent of officers led by the independently elected sheriff — to add a police force.

Preckwinkle administration officials said the move would not require making new hires because many employees of the homeland security department already have experience working for the Chicago police and other law-enforcement agencies. Some already act as a security detail for Preckwinkle.

The bill’s sponsor is Antonio “Tony” Munoz, who didn’t return calls. The Democrat from the Southwest Side is the assistant Senate majority leader, and like Preckwinkle, his power only grew Tuesday. Munoz repelled a challenge in the 12th Ward Democratic committeeman’s race from Ald. George Cardenas.

Munoz’s ward organization worked for Emanuel’s re-election bid last year. But that didn’t stop Munoz from beating up on Cardenas during the ward committeeman’s race for supporting many of the mayor’s unpopular initiatives, including the red-light camera program.

Munoz and others in local politics at all levels could prove wise by trying to cozy up to Preckwinkle instead of Emanuel.

Until the Foxx campaign, Preckwinkle’s efforts to help her allies at election time often failed.

This time, though, she pulled every lever she could for Foxx, a first-time candidate. In the wake of the release of the Laquan McDonald police shooting video, Preckwinkle persuaded county party leaders to abandon their neutrality and endorse Foxx.

More significantly, Preckwinkle put big bucks where her mouth was this time, ponying up about $300,000 for Foxx. Longtime Preckwinkle supporter Fred Eychaner gave $600,000. Overnight, a Foxx campaign that once seemed to lack adequate funding was able to outgun incumbent Anita Alvarez on TV.

Assuming Foxx overcomes her GOP opponent in the fall general election, Preckwinkle will only have to pick up the phone and call Foxx to have a say in criminal-justice issues.

Should she get what she wants in Springfield, Preckwinkle also will have a police force at her command. County officials say they expect SB 3076 to come to a vote by lawmakers in early April.

Preckwinkle has carefully cultivated an image as a reformer. Now, she’s looking a lot more like a boss, too.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on how this can potentially effect the sheriff’s office. I know the ccsd has some posts at 69Washington and City Hall. How about their county hospitals as well, Stroger and Oak Forest who have police officers there? What about the airport ?

Those newly deputized officers shall have the power to investigate and mitigate threats of manmade disasters, protect the county’s critical infrastructure.

Can this mean; Manmade disaster – Riots ? and Critical Infrastructure – County Building & Hospitals and all the other posts that CCSD currently mans.

Hypothetically, So if there is a protest in the middle of City Hall, Daley Center, 69 Wash, and things start to get crazy, who would make judgement calls about how to handle the situation. CPD, Sheriff, Or Preckwinkle. Can and will she over step CPD with her homeland security police to protect the county’s buildings ?

I think this will just open a can of worms and see no need for it. I know cook countys homeland security is a huge slush fund and is paid in most by the fed govt. So mismanagement of money wont be so scrutinized by the tax payers. Also I love how she has no comment on it. Shhhhhhh don’t talk about it.

Comment

Disregard...
      Last edited by southpaw1; 03-18-2016, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Disregard...
        Last edited by southpaw1; 03-18-2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CountyBlues View Post
          Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on how this can potentially effect the sheriff’s office. I know the ccsd has some posts at 69Washington and City Hall. How about their county hospitals as well, Stroger and Oak Forest who have police officers there? What about the airport ?

Those newly deputized officers shall have the power to investigate and mitigate threats of manmade disasters, protect the county’s critical infrastructure.

Can this mean; Manmade disaster – Riots ? and Critical Infrastructure – County Building & Hospitals and all the other posts that CCSD currently mans.

Hypothetically, So if there is a protest in the middle of City Hall, Daley Center, 69 Wash, and things start to get crazy, who would make judgement calls about how to handle the situation. CPD, Sheriff, Or Preckwinkle. Can and will she over step CPD with her homeland security police to protect the county’s buildings ?

I think this will just open a can of worms and see no need for it. I know cook countys homeland security is a huge slush fund and is paid in most by the fed govt. So mismanagement of money wont be so scrutinized by the tax payers. Also I love how she has no comment on it. Shhhhhhh don’t talk about it.
          This is actually the Cook County Emergency Management Service, they have it a fancy name to sound more important. No other county has made their EMS Police. It's a pretty big over step in her power and is trying to get around Dart as the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the county.

EMS's MAIN job is emergency prepardness and reaction with support. They in no way at all are ANY type of LE agency, not do THEY need it.

She can't touch anything on CPD territory. CPD has statutory authority to handle all state and local situations within city limits and Cook can't really step in their toes....unlike the rest of the state.

CPD and APD have sole jurisdiction of the airports (except for Federal agencies).

This is going to turn into a clout spot. Officers who do nothing full time, but have "ultimate authority" when **** hits the fan...... Right.

Comment

Sign me up, I'm tired of doing real police work.
            Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Her friend beats Alvarez and now Preckwinkle wants a PD? I don't think I would want to be an officer anywhere in Cook County now.

Comment

Her County is in the toilet with budget, CCSPD is horribly understaffed and funded and the taxes are a joke in that county. Yet she thinks she can run another department?

Meth is a hell of a drug.

Comment

Nevermind...lol
                  Last edited by southpaw1; 03-19-2016, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by littleguy View Post
                    Her friend beats Alvarez and now Preckwinkle wants a PD? I don't think I would want to be an officer anywhere in Cook County now.
                    She hated Alvarez and Alvarez didn't care much for her either. She (Preckwinkle) forced her way into Alvarez office and started throwing her weight around and told her that she's "checking on her troops", implying that she supervised Cook County's elected State's Attorney. This is one power-mad biotcheh and she is on a roll right now.

Alvarez was thrown under the bus by Emanuel by his manipulation of the investigation and timing of the release of the video footage. Alvarez was way too straight to be involved in Chicago politics in the first place and as Kim Foxx is now greatly indebted to Preckwinkle, I will be interested to see how things pan out now because Foxx IS one of Preckwinkle's troops.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Mr. Preckwinkle (yes that was intentional) is power hungry! She hates the police and if her buddy Foxx wins come November then no PO in Cook county will be safe from this double headed monster!

Vote Christopher Pfannkuche come Novemeber!

Comment

Originally posted by impala_ws6 View Post
                        She hates the police and if her buddy Foxx wins come November then no PO in Cook county will be safe from this double headed monster!
                        Just wait; she (Preckwinkle) is going to be the next Mayor of Chicago and things will be really ugly then.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Its seems like a jab at the sheriff. Why give police powers to DHS & Emg Mgt personnel when we have a county sheriff. Im pro police but this is absolutely not necessary. She tells Dart to cut his staff (as she does everybody) and now she wants to give her people the authority to do his depts work. I hope this gets voted down next month but im not optimistic. I wish there were a strong contender to put this lady out of office. This is def a political move and is not in the best interest of the tax payers of cook county.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8499 users online. 381 members and 8118 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X