300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chiefs123 View Post
    Would you guys still say go to the interview if the test was for Chicago?
    Where are you on the other list that you're getting an interview with?

Where would you rather work?

You are more likely to be hired by Chicago by FAR due to the number of people we need if you are a decent candidate. That does NOT mean, however, that Chicago is better to work for.

How far along is the interview from when you started the whole thing?

Is this other place some where you REALLY want to be?

How is the pay / benefits between the two? CPD has REALLY good benefits, and you jump up in pay fairly fast (still a 20 year top out, but you get up there fast within the first 4 years, then it drops off)

Remember something, Chicago doesn't do interviews. Everything is pass or fail. Its one reason more people get hired with Chicago then other departments (other than needing so many).

Comment

In my process in my area, I applied at 4 different agencies. I was only applying for one at a time but kept getting turned away. I soon got word that all 4 had the test on the same day. This made me chose between them. I was not currently in any process with any of them. I simply chose the one I wanted more and contacted the ones I was not showing for and let them know. I am convinced they did it on purpose. 4 major PD's in KCMO had tests on same day is to much of a coincidence.
      What Is A Veteran?
      A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by D.T.O.M View Post
        Where are you on the other list that you're getting an interview with?

Where would you rather work?

You are more likely to be hired by Chicago by FAR due to the number of people we need if you are a decent candidate. That does NOT mean, however, that Chicago is better to work for.

How far along is the interview from when you started the whole thing?

Is this other place some where you REALLY want to be?

How is the pay / benefits between the two? CPD has REALLY good benefits, and you jump up in pay fairly fast (still a 20 year top out, but you get up there fast within the first 4 years, then it drops off)

Remember something, Chicago doesn't do interviews. Everything is pass or fail. Its one reason more people get hired with Chicago then other departments (other than needing so many).
        Outstandingly insightful post there Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefs123 View Post
          Would you guys still say go to the interview if the test was for Chicago?
          Go to the interview. I work CPD and this job just keeps going downhill. Why would you want to live in the city and work for a department that is currently under DOJ investogation, has a deal with ACLU, and promotes idiot bosses all because of who they know? Either way it's your life but you've been warned.

Comment

I'm in line with DTOM. It all depends which departmet the interview is for and it's significance. Are you being interviewed along with 50 others to make up a final eligibility list for a department expected to hire 1 or 2? Or have you already been placed and they've reached your position? Also, are you even enthusiastic about the possibility of working for the department or was it just one of the many you applied to hoping to get on somewhere?

Testing for Chicago is more of a guarantee to be hired, but where you are on a list is entirely lottery based. It could be several months or several years until your number is reached.

Chicago of course has its disadvantages (as Impala touched on) but these smaller departments aren't perfect, either. They're just as political, if not more, than Chicago. Other supposed "dream departments" are very strict and arbitrarily discipline and or fire officers during their probationary period who don't quite fit in. There's also the financial concern of working for a place with a llimited tax base. I remember a time around when I first started posting here where departments were laying off people left and right. How do you feel about working the same area, with the same people, for 30+ years? Will there be many oppotunities for advancement?

Obviously this discussion can branch off many directions with "would you rather.." questions, but whatever you choose it should be after careful consideration.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10093 users online. 410 members and 9683 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X