• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University Park PD Layoffs

If you haven't heard....

http://abc7chicago.com/news/dozens-o...-jobs/1225023/

Monday, February 29, 2016 11:14PM
    UNIVERSITY PARK, Ill. (WLS) --
    "Several dozen University Park village employees will be getting their formal layoff notices Tuesday. The drastic cuts include the elimination of an entire village department.

Village trustee Paula Wilson described a government in chaos. The University Park Police Department was forced to cut seven officers - three full-time and four part-time - a reduction of more than 25 percent of the force, because of what Wilson says is a $22 million budget deficit.

"Mismanagement of funds, borrowing and never paying it back. Now we have a poor rating, and we can't borrow money," Wilson said.

The layoffs go beyond police, with 40-50 village employees getting a pink slip. The entire parks and rec department was forced to shut down...Closed indefinitely is the public-owned University Golf Club, as well as Riegel Farm, a popular petting zoo and nature complex. More than 100 animals now moved to a temporary shelter.

"Tomorrow when they get the letters will be devastating to a lot of residents who work for the village," Wilson said.

Wilson says she was elected last spring and that the fiscal crisis has been years in the making.

"I think we need help from the state, somebody to come and make sure the board is not making grave decisions that will put our village in a crisis," she said.

Wilson says there's no plan, as of now, to rehire any of the workers being let go. And she says the layoffs may not end here."

That's too bad for everyone. I really hate to hear that. I honestly didn't see that coming because Governors State University has been expanding its campus there and from the surface things looked fine but the way this state is heading I hope this isn't going to be a common theme. Hope it all works out!

They are going to fire the Trustees and board members for causing thus, right?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The fact that the state of IL hasn't passed a budget in nearly a year certainly doesn't help. Whatever state funding they would get is gone. The state has said they won't pass a budget until the new fiscal year. Other places are in the same position, waiting to hire because they need the money from the state, or getting ready to lay off because of the lack of it. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Disregard...
        Last edited by southpaw1; 03-01-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk10 View Post
          The fact that the state of IL hasn't passed a budget in nearly a year certainly doesn't help. Whatever state funding they would get is gone. The state has said they won't pass a budget until the new fiscal year. Other places are in the same position, waiting to hire because they need the money from the state, or getting ready to lay off because of the lack of it. It's ridiculous.

I agree.
          Last edited by southpaw1; 03-01-2016, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I work for Uppd and I can tell u firsthand that this is BS. I was just hired a few months ago and have a family to support and bills to pay..... Now what will I do? If possible I'm moving out of state. This village and this state are a bunch of crooks and the blue collar guy always suffers the consequences.... Please excuse my rant but I'm ****ed

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
              If you haven't heard....

http://abc7chicago.com/news/dozens-o...-jobs/1225023/

That's too bad for everyone. I really hate to hear that. I honestly didn't see that coming because Governors State University has been expanding its campus there and from the surface things looked fine but the way this state is heading I hope this isn't going to be a common theme. Hope it all works out!
              Governors State is a State College. Tax exempt. No money flows from there to the village, exempt maybe a a student going to a local fast food joint. As far as Police? They'll just do what Lyons did, pay a bunch of OT to those that are left, cut down minimum staffing on the street, have no detectives, specialized units. Those health insurance and pension payments are a killer to these towns.
              Last edited by ChiTownDet; 03-02-2016, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                ..."Maybe a student going to a local fast food joint".
                You're right Sir, but ^This is exactly where I was going with that comment. I figured an area that appeared to be growing and bringing in other sources of income (in the form of students possibly spending in the local economy) would be a better off place but I guess there isn't always a direct correlation.

Comment

@Wfreed9730 Really sorry to hear that man. Keep your head up and don't give up. You have your cert and to a lot of places that's GOLD. Sometimes life will test you when you least expect it. There's a quote: "Don’t be afraid of change. You may lose something good, but you may gain something better." You will rebound from this. I wish you the best and let us know when you do!

Comment

Wfreed...i been through that stage in my career. Some of the best options i looked into reside in the state of Texas, where they are desperately hiring for police officers. Places I personally know of Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Fort Worth, and Dallas...although from research Dallas may be the worst out of the bunch.

Keep looking man. Wishing you the best. Any help I can be send me a pm. I researched a ton of pds outside the state and even did ride alongs.

Comment

@Wfreed9730, Hey bro(or sis) you'll be alright once the sun comes back out. I think I heard that Elgin and Aurora are testing summer. Also, I know it's a drag, but Seattle PD and Louisville Metro are on quite the hiring binge and have very accommodating out of state testing processes. Did you put an app in to CPD?

Just try to get some part time to keep active. You're certified, the hard part is over. Just sit back and watch the offers come in buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
                        @Wfreed9730 Really sorry to hear that man. Keep your head up and don't give up. You have your cert and to a lot of places that's GOLD. Sometimes life will test you when you least expect it. There's a quote: "Don’t be afraid of change. You may lose something good, but you may gain something better." You will rebound from this. I wish you the best and let us know when you do!
                        Thanks bro, I really appreciate that

Comment

I really appreciate all the advice guys.... We gotta stick together.... I'm applying at departments as we speak

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8751 users online. 429 members and 8322 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X