Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect what CCCSD is suggesting is people don't understand how complex the screening process is. Getting a job in law enforcement is not as easy as getting a job with a corporation or a private business. In police work, only about 1% to 2% of those who apply wind up getting hired.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

What L-1 said, exactly. You will take a bunch of tests for PD's, learn from each. If you use your head, you will get better at the written and orals over time. Use this board to learn from other's experiences. Keep plugging away. Use other jobs to make you more appealing to the PD's you apply to (working desk, CSO, Dispatch, Police Aid, Part time P/O, etc.). If you can get hired in a Dept. that may not be your "dream" job, use it for experience and to get certified. In Illinois, being certified is a big deal and can open the door to getting higher on the list. And you need to go full out on the testing. If you only test every now and then, you don't get as good at the different tests that are used, and don't get valuable experience in the oral boards.
      Last edited by ChiTownDet; 02-23-2016, 07:21 AM. Reason: I think I'm dyslexic

Comment

Jamie,

This is what orals usually score you on. Study it and think about what in your life/work/education experience meets the various scoring criteria. Try to imagine every possible question that might come your way in each category and be prepared with an appropriate response.

• Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

• Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

• Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

• Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

• Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

• Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Orals are scripted BS. Some people are just poor at taking test or interviewing. However, they're the best officers.

Comment

Originally posted by littleguy View Post
            Orals are scripted BS. Some people are just poor at taking test or interviewing. However, they're the best officers.
            Do you have statistics to back this up or is it an opinion? I would agree that SOME of the people who didn't ace the test CAN BE excellent officers.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

I will say it is my opinion. I will also say, you don't need to be a rocket scientist for this job either. Anyone can do this job if they're honest and have somewhat of a brain.

Comment

More bs. What proof of this claim..?

None.

You get a shine box, just on principle.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I will say it is my opinion. I will also say, you don't need to be a rocket scientist for this job either. Anyone can do this job if they're honest and have somewhat of a brain.
                  To some degree i agree and disagree. In certain situations you have to be a quick and smart thinker. One wrong decision can lead you to make a very big mistake that can be life threatening. You never know these things until you are put in certain types of situations. Sure taking a test you can put the right answer down pertaining a police scenario, but when you encounter that scenario in real life with your adrenaline flowing....are you able to make the right decision.

Patience and quick thinking is very important.
                  Not saying that you are wrong.....also it depends on where you work and what type of call volumes you get.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    More bs. What proof of this claim..?

None.

You get a shine box, just on principle.
                    Your right to rebuttal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9541 users online. 450 members and 9091 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X