X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    Originally posted by dstepha2 View Post
    I've heard from more than a couple people that Skokie cuts a bunch of people on FTO and probation. It doesn't seem to make much sense to invest so much money and time into people and then cut them. Unless, all those people really can't make FTO or probation. In which case there might be a bigger problem altogether, either with the hiring process or the FTO program itself
    Skokie has the money to burn plus all the money burned in washing people out is still cheaper than lawsuits. Hard FTO programs are more respected than worthless ones. They may be overbearing and kind of extra in some cases but the la di da di everybody makes it programs aren't reassuring when you question whether or not your back up unit should be the police at all.

Leave a comment:

• D.T.O.M
    replied
    Chicago is a whole other animal. It doesn't really matter what number you are, they'll get to you at some point.

You can't really judge how lists work by them. They get thousands of appilicants who barely meet the minimums are are easily weeded out between the POWER tests, Psych, Drug test (yes MANY fail this) and background.

Out of 13,000 that apply, realistically maybe 1,000 or so are actually viable candidates and pass everythinf, and they will hire a few hundred a year to keep up with retirements, attrition, and failures during probation. Most people who would have absolutely NO chance at any other department Wil apply to Chicago because of the sheer number of officers needed.

Plus Chicago's list doesn't expire, they exhaust it, there's no time limit. I've known guys that set on the list for 4 years and got hired.

That and your number is a lottery..... They don't do points, the whole process is pass or fail. Unless you are military or a CPS graduate, cause then they jump you to the front of the list.
    Last edited by D.T.O.M; 01-22-2016, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• M.Z.
    replied
    Its all a waiting game.

My brother knows someone who was in the 40's on one department, she's an officer now. Also knows another guy who was 6,xxx on Chicago, he's also hired on.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    Originally posted by Rnelson View Post
    Would top 20 on say a Cicero, Berwyn or Oak Lawn be decent? Seeing as they are pretty big. Top 10 is a tall task for me especially with preference points.
    Top 20 in those towns would put you on the bubble for being hired. Pretty good chance on Cicero, which is the biggest PD of the bunch.

Leave a comment:

• scotty_appleton814
    replied
    Would top 20 on say a Cicero, Berwyn or Oak Lawn be decent? Seeing as they are pretty big. Top 10 is a tall task for me especially with preference points.
    No excuses buddy. If you want to git er done, do it. Don't complain about lack of preference points, do what you must to test better.

Leave a comment:

• Rnelson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dstepha2
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    Bigger towns have bigger PD's and usually hire more people. If a town has a good number of coppers in their 50's, they'll probably be retiring around the same time. There's a reason Skokie goes through their lists. They tend to get rid of a lot of people in FTO and on probation.
    I've heard from more than a couple people that Skokie cuts a bunch of people on FTO and probation. It doesn't seem to make much sense to invest so much money and time into people and then cut them. Unless, all those people really can't make FTO or probation. In which case there might be a bigger problem altogether, either with the hiring process or the FTO program itself

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    It depends on how many vacancies they anticipate over the life of the list. If you are #4 and the expect to hire 10 people over the life of the list, you stand a pretty good chance. OTOH, if you are #20, odds are the list will die before you are reachable.

After I retired I applied for a new job and came out #52 out of 1,300 applicants. I was pretty proud of myself until I learned they were only going to hire 27 people over the two year life of the list. I never heard from them again.

Leave a comment:

• scotty_appleton814
    replied
    To the OP, I have found in my testing before I got hired that normally being in the top five normally helps. Some departments use the rule of three or five when handing out conditional offers of employment. So speaking from experience, you need to test better so that you can get high enough to get a shot earlier in the life of the list.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    Bigger towns have bigger PD's and usually hire more people. If a town has a good number of coppers in their 50's, they'll probably be retiring around the same time. There's a reason Skokie goes through their lists. They tend to get rid of a lot of people in FTO and on probation.

Leave a comment:

• D.T.O.M
    replied
    Also factor in guys who don't pass anything after the conditional offer, take themselves off the list for their own reasons or pass it up for other spots.

Leave a comment:

• D.T.O.M
    replied
    Depends on the department. Of it's a sheriff's office it doesn't matter they can choose who they want. Top 30 I chicago list would have you hired in a matter of months.

Leave a comment:

• Rnelson
    replied
    The town I really want to get on has about 63,000 residents and I know they are hiring 5 right off the bat. Hopefully with retirements and such I will get a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Can someone please tell me what is a good position to be in on lists? I'm on quiet a few but for some reason I can never get into the top 10. Is top 20 or even top 30 enough to at least receive a call sometime within the lifespan of a list? I know it's hard to say but I'm just looking for some opinions.
    It depends on how many officers the agency is planning on hiring in the next year.................If they are going to hire 30..........being in the top 30 is a pretty good place. If they are only going to hire 10............being #30 would be kind of out of play

Leave a comment:

• Frekinrican5
    replied
    I'm on a few lists myself so I'll answer you the best of my experience. I think it depends on where your applying for and the need for manpower. But there's been cases of suburbs going through their whole list. Such as Skokie. Last year Skokie went through the whole 2014 list so fast they gave another test for 2015. I placed in top 30 and I'm already half way through the process. I think it's just the luck of the draw.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11057 users online. 518 members and 10539 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X