Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most depts outside of large metro areas make 15-18 an hour starting. I took a pay cut to get into where I wanted to go, still working at it. Id take maywood for the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefs123 View Post
      Is 42k. Is that the worst you have seen? If not who is?

Maywood makes a pretty big jump after the first year. Their top out is also pretty good but i cant remember what the exact number is.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboys07 View Post
        Maywood makes a pretty big jump after the first year. Their top out is also pretty good but i cant remember what the exact number is.
        Yeah sometimes applicants don't realize that there is an incentive to stick around after getting hired and some PDs will start you out below average and reward you with a generous increase in a shorter time frame.

It's like the lottery, do you want the lump sum upfront or spread out over a few years . I've looked at a few contracts and noticed that a few places do that. IMO, I rather work with the guy or girl that goes in for other reasons than just a paycheck!
        Last edited by southpaw1; 12-03-2015, 12:40 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Out of curiosity what is their pay after one year and their top out?

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
            IMO, I rather work with the guy or girl that goes in for other reasons than just a paycheck!
            I agree with you 100% on this. I gave up a career where I made twice as much as I make working in law enforcement. I really wanted to do it and definitely not just for the money.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by jehende View Post
              Out of curiosity what is their pay after one year and their top out?

I want to say their first year jump is about 15k. I saw one of their contracts from 2012 but i cant remember exact numbers. They top out in the low 80's i believe. Tons of OT there also.
              Their K9 officer told me he hasn't made under 100 since his 3rd year on.

Comment

Thats not bad at all! Start is pretty low, but like some of you guys mentioned above...some departments typically start you out low and pay you better after the 1st year and so on. Besides that you can get a hell of an experience at Maywood PD.

Comment

Other things in perspective, this is the same department that ticketed its own officers for driving on duty without a properly adjusted seatbelt. Can I get a rimshot?

The officers were found not guilty by a judge but no the village did not drop the tickets themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
                    Other things in perspective, this is the same department that ticketed its own officers for driving on duty without a properly adjusted seatbelt. Can I get a rimshot?

The officers were found not guilty by a judge but no the village did not drop the tickets themselves.
                    Sounds like the money is really good and the leadership has your back. Get on if you can.

Comment

If you do this job for the money, you're in the wrong field. Pay is defiantly important, but when it comes to Police work you do it for the job. After a while, the pay will come with it. Maywood is on the lower end, but that's what they can afford. As someone stated above, if you don't want it, 100 other guys behind you will snag it up.

Comment

Offer 42k but recoup some of that money by issuing their own on duty guys seat belt tickets. Sounds like an awesome town to work for.

Comment

Staying far away. Thanks guys

Comment

As much as people want to call this job a calling and say it's not about the money and all those other great things...this is not the priesthood. Seriously. If it's not about the money tell your union to stop fighting the administration every contract for things that you would never see in most other jobs open to you. Give back the money you make for being in court over the time you were actually there. There is not a single increase in morals or ethics I got on this job. You either had them before the job or not but you certainly won't pick them up on the street. There are some wonderfully moral people in their own eyes who suck at this job. There are also some horribly immoral people in the eyes of others who are naturals in this work. Do I think everyone can do this job? Is everyone built for it? No. Some of the best cops I have met never felt "called" to this job, they took it for the financial opportunity and never wanted to be cops growing up. Neither did I. Still there are some die hard, I went to school for this and dreamed to be a cop since I was 6 years old guys and they have nothing in terms of ability or skill on the guys that just saw a job chance and took it. There is a great deal of common sense and ingenuity required to do this job well. All the college in the world can't help you get a brain to deal with a convicted felon who knows the state statutes and the court system better than you. And if you can't humble yourself to let that felon be your teacher then that's on you. This is a job not a calling. You will see that as soon as somebody's overtime gets screwed up or they believe they are the victim of a contract violation because they were asked to do something minor and painless. I like being the police and I still have never seen a field of such crybabies and whiners as I have in this profession. I guess all those old, salty dogs who are telling their children not to become the police and who want to get out as soon as possible were not called. I wonder why they came then...
                            Last edited by Joe Snuffy; 12-05-2015, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post

They are a mess internally and the administration does not have your back In October their union issued a vote of no confidence in their chief. The old chief was also not liked. Also heard one of their commanders tell an officer to remove his gloves because its intimidating!!

Comment

Is that 42k to start or ???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11847 users online. 479 members and 11368 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X