Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baofeng Police Scanners? - Who knows how to mess with settings in order to TRANSMIT?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baofeng Police Scanners? - Who knows how to mess with settings in order to TRANSMIT?

Greetings All,

Can someone respond or inbox me regarding if you're able to change the settings on these baofeng transceivers so that I can transmit on them.

Last edited by VidaG; 10-17-2017, 09:20 AM.

Just buy the portable transceiver for $49. Amazon. Then you download the packet for your region... Make SURE you are not violating policy.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You need a program called "CHIRP," also need the right usb driver, and have that configured correctly, and a programming cable.Then you need the transmit and receive frequencies (Radio Reference and CARMA sites), or offset on those with repeaters, whether there is a "PL" code, or not. I've programmed mine, but there are some frequencies (CCSPD and a lot of the County Nets ,for suburbs) that are now 800 MHz and encrypted. Can't program them. In fact, can't even scan them with a scanner. The UV-82 is now as cheap as $30 on ebay.

A bit more than just downloading a "packet" to it.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        Just buy the portable transceiver for $49. Amazon. Then you download the packet for your region... Make SURE you are not violating policy.
        How do I download the packet for my region? Any link? I'd appreciate any help!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
          You need a program called "CHIRP," also need the right usb driver, and have that configured correctly, and a programming cable.Then you need the transmit and receive frequencies (Radio Reference and CARMA sites), or offset on those with repeaters, whether there is a "PL" code, or not. I've programmed mine, but there are some frequencies (CCSPD and a lot of the County Nets ,for suburbs) that are now 800 MHz and encrypted. Can't program them. In fact, can't even scan them with a scanner. The UV-82 is now as cheap as $30 on ebay.

Yeah I can imagine. I have a county radio that's issued to me and it's take home so I could care less about not being able to transmit on that band because I have my own radio now. My main concern is to be able to transmit with CPD and potentially a few other local PD, but primarily CPD because I do a lot of off-duty work and it would be nice. That's why all the other coppers purchased them that work from other municipalities that either work off duty for City of Chicago related events or are on duty and they have it as a supplementary radio because their department radio does not obviously have the same band as CPD.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post

Need all the help I can get, I'd like to know that either I can program it or there's someone that can before I purchase this thing so it's not sitting. Finding the frequencies doesn't seem to be the problem because they're all over the internet, but being able to "transmit" on those frequencies is what I need.

Comment

Chi town gave you the gouge, more than I would. We aren't going to get into specifics because we don't know who you are... If you need it, you can get it.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Here's how you transmit with them. Called 911 on your cellphone. Getting yourself onto a frequency you aren't authorized to transmit on is idiot. Listen all day long if you wish, but transmit, no. Program in the non-emergency or desk phone number for your area and call it a wrap.
                www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                  Here's how you transmit with them. Called 911 on your cellphone. Getting yourself onto a frequency you aren't authorized to transmit on is idiot. Listen all day long if you wish, but transmit, no. Program in the non-emergency or desk phone number for your area and call it a wrap.
                  I didn't want to be the guy to post it, but I was thinking it. Working off duty or whatever else, the radio isn't there for your convenience, specially if you don't work for said agency and don't know their etiquette and what not. Sounds like a good way to **** off on-duty coppers and confuse dispatchers.

Comment

Probably an FCC violation of some sort I suppose. And wouldn't it just be grand if you lost or got the radio stolen and the bad guy has a chance to screw up multiple bands.
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by VidaG View Post
                      Greetings All,

Can someone respond or inbox me regarding if you're able to change the settings on these baofeng transceivers so that I can transmit on them.

I'm a LEO and I've worked off-duty for special events with a few Officers that have purchased these $50 boating radio's and all of them have said that they have been lifesavers. My radio is on the Cook County band and it would be helpful to have a radio that I can have multiple bands on in the event that I actually need to use it and transmit on it. From what I understand, it's one of those "word of mouth" kind of things and only some people know how to mess with the settings to enable transmittal on these Baofeng's to dispatch.

I was recently working with Amtrak PD for the Chi Marathon and they had them and I was sold on it... Any Chicagoland PO's can point me in the right direction with this? I'd greatly appreciate it, especially, before I purchase a unit.
                      The Baofeng radio's are not "scanners" , nor are they "boating" radios . They are scanning amateur radio transceivers which are meant to be used by FCC LICENSED operators

In order for them to be LEGALLY used on the Public Safety Bands they have to be FCC Part 90 certified and while some models are................most are not.

NEXT if you happen to find radio that is Part 90 certified, you also have to be authorized to use that radio on the Public Safety Radio system by the local trustee for that system. Most system administrators will not authorize the cheap Chinese Radios for use on their systems because of terrible sensitivity and lousy rejection of interference.

The cheap radios also often CAUSE interference on a system tuned for professional Land Mobile Radios. Truly they are junk and act like junk when put beside/with Public Safety grade equipment

That said I have several Baofeng (and other Chinese made) radios that I use in the Amateur'Bands and RECEIVE SCAN public safety frequencies-------------they are very inefficient scanners as they scan very slowly

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                      Probably an FCC violation of some sort I suppose.
                      Most FCC violation forfeitures (fines) start at $7,000.00 to $10,000.00
                      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-18-2015, 08:38 AM.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's not hard to program these radios if you read the directions. CPD arrested a "security guard" a few months ago for calling out a foot chase over the city's radio frequency. Caused a bunch of confusion, and could have gotten someone injured or killed in the reponse. If you need help call 911 or 311.
                        Or you can call the district desk. OEMC controls who may or may not use the CPD frequencies, and issues official call signs to outside units.

Comment

You'd have better luck mailing a letter than calling a District desk. In all fairness, numerous P/O's working off duty for other city entities use these radios. CPD does have an order about Dept. members using them on duty, as they usually don't come up with an identifier. As far as NON-POLICE using them, big Bozo no-no. Many suburban coppers use them to communicate on other burbs side bands, other neighboring PD's which are either on VHF or UHF, as many suburban radio nets are going to 800 MHz encrypted, and most Dept's will not spend the money for a dual band radio in the car, or for 3 radios in the car (VHF, UHF, and 800 mhz.). If used sparingly on other PD's bands, probably not a problem, but if you start using it non stop, may end up being an issue. I have one and use it on our and neighboring PD's low band (side), as a radio got yanked from one of our units. I also use it to communicate with our FD on scene, or enroute to an incident. I've also used it on CPD zone to call in something that about 4 phone calls would not get a response to. Had to assign that mess then once it was over the radio.
                          Last edited by ChiTownDet; 10-20-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I respect everyone's opinion on here, and I'm late to party because I didn't realize so many people responded to the thread. I think you're missing the picture, many LEOs already use the damn thing, so the argument that many of you are making is pretty much pointless because many PO's are using them already, which is how I got turned on to them. We're not talking about some civilian using the thing to act like the Po LEECE... This is just an excellent tool that many PO's - CPD, AMTRAK, feds, State, and a few burbs that I've met that I've met that have purchased them as an extra safety precaution when moonlighting or working large Chicago events that you're assigned to, so you know WTF is going on.

For example, I was working with two coppers from another agency that worked the Chi marathon and they were told to hold down a specific intersection the entire time, I asked about their Baofeng's and I thought that maybe CPD (I don't work for Chicago) gave it to them during rollcall, no.... It was their own personal. So essentially, if anything went down, and they had to call it in, only for it to be relayed to the OEMC dispatch, vs getting an immediate response, god forbid an Officer shot occurs while I'm assigned to a large scale event that my agency sent me to or if I'm moonlighting, I would want everyone to haul *** to me, and not have a larger window of time be created because I'm on a suburban, federal, state, or county band.

Comment

*****Deleted
                              Last edited by VidaG; 10-17-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5636 users online. 230 members and 5406 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X