300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanard & Associates Test Question!

So this may seem to be a dumb question since the answer is simply "buy the practice test and packet off their website". But considering I've put 90 bucks into Lockport and Coal City, and have taken Stanards test twice now, I was hoping I could get some help on cheaper or free sites focused on the word math problems. My whole life I've struggled with math and have been spending hours and hours re teaching myself what I can because I know this test will be the same one I've taken twice now. Any help would be great. I am blonde but I promise I am not dumb. Just horrible at math, but have a passionate dream of becoming a police officer.

Originally posted by Shmandalynn View Post
    So this may seem to be a dumb question since the answer is simply "buy the practice test and packet off their website". But considering I've put 90 bucks into Lockport and Coal City, and have taken Stanards test twice now, I was hoping I could get some help on cheaper or free sites focused on the word math problems. My whole life I've struggled with math and have been spending hours and hours re teaching myself what I can because I know this test will be the same one I've taken twice now. Any help would be great. I am blonde but I promise I am not dumb. Just horrible at math, but have a passionate dream of becoming a police officer.
    Have you tried the local library?

Comment

The test that Stanard and Associates uses is a standardized national police test called the POST test. If you Google "practice post exam police officer" you should find some free practices tests. I did this just recently and it helped me with the math sections as well. Good luck!

Comment

For word problems you might want to practice
        parsing the English into Algebra.

Here's an example --
        (not from the test and not originated by me) --

If a brick weighs 5 pounds plus half its weight,
        how much does the brick weigh?

w=5+1/2w

multiplying every term by 2
        to eliminate the division by 2 in the 1/2 we get ...

2w=10+w

and then subtracting the extra w from each side ...

w=10

... the brick weighs 10 pounds ...

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
          For word problems you might want to practice
          parsing the English into Algebra.

Here's an example --
          (not from the test and not originated by me) --

If a brick weighs 5 pounds plus half its weight,
          how much does the brick weigh?

w=5+1/2w

multiplying every term by 2
          to eliminate the division by 2 in the 1/2 we get ...

2w=10+w

and then subtracting the extra w from each side ...

w=10

... the brick weighs 10 pounds ...
          Half of the bricks weight of 5 lbs would be 2.5 lbs...

so wouldn't the answer be 7.5 the way you worded that question.....

Comment

Originally posted by younggun3515 View Post
            Half of the bricks weight of 5 lbs would be 2.5 lbs...

so wouldn't the answer be 7.5 the way you worded that question.....
            The brick weighs whatever "5 pounds plus half its weight" is --
            If the brick weighs 7.5 pounds, then half its weight is 3.75 pounds --
            so 5 pounds plus half its weight would be 8.75 pounds --
            it can't weigh both 7.5 pounds and 8.75 pounds --
            to see it in a slightly different way,
            you can see that everything weighs half its weight plus the other half --
            so that if the other half is 5 pounds, the first half is also 5 pounds --
            wherefore the brick must weigh 10 pounds --
            5 pounds plus half of its 10 pound weight ...

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
              The brick weighs whatever "5 pounds plus half its weight" is --
              If the brick weighs 7.5 pounds, then half its weight is 3.75 pounds --
              so 5 pounds plus half its weight would be 8.75 pounds --
              it can't weigh both 7.5 pounds and 8.75 pounds --
              to see it in a slightly different way,
              you can see that everything weighs half its weight plus the other half --
              so that if the other half is 5 pounds, the first half is also 5 pounds --
              wherefore the brick must weigh 10 pounds --
              5 pounds plus half of its 10 pound weight ...
              the way i read the question was
              if the brick weighs 5 pounds and you add half of its weight how much does it weigh

good thing i finished all of my college math classes lol

Comment

Originally posted by younggun3515 View Post
                the way i read the question was
                if the brick weighs 5 pounds and you add half of its weight how much does it weigh

good thing i finished all of my college math classes lol
                maybe you should have considered attending some of your English and Logic classes too ...

Comment

Monty, most of these kids on here are trying to get on the job. Don't go phycking them up with your mind games. Let them get on before you start spewing some of your shiate. We all know you're the smartest guy in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Shmandalynn View Post
                    Pm me your email address and ill send you some stuff over that helped me.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                      Monty, most of these kids on here are trying to get on the job. Don't go phycking them up with your mind games. Let them get on before you start spewing some of your shiate. We all know you're the smartest guy in the room.
                      I really was trying to be helpful. Many people who are bright and yet have trouble with math word-problem questions on a test are letting their anxiousness cause them to interpret incorrectly in favor of a slightly simpler solution. Re-reading the question after arriving at a preliminary answer and checking whether the answer fits can help to insure against error.

Comment

The weight of the brick is specified in the question as a sum -- not as a constant plus half that constant -- as a sum half of which is the constant ...

Comment

Thank you everyone, for your input I know the answer to my question may have seemed as simple as googling what I was looking for. But as Monty said, some people become easily confused or perceive the word math problems as more difficult than they are meant to be. I'm one of those types. It has been very frustrating, but I am making progress.

Thank you again

Comment

Most people get more confused when Monty answers a question.

Comment

Although I do not really have the time to respond as professionally with as many big words as Monty, I did understand the responses. I'm blonde though, so it took me a few read throughs to comprehend it. Haha I'm kidding. Maybe...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9444 users online. 458 members and 8986 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X