300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois state police

I'm 19 currently going to a community college and going to transfer to Western Illinois University. Im going to try and get a bachelors in parks and rec with a minor in criminal justice. my goal is to become a state trooper, but not sure what state yet.
    I recently did a ride along and they said don't be a police officer in Illinois because we don't have any money for like retirement. So I was wondering from other police officers in Illinois, if you agree with that?

It's hard to say. IL police departments pay more annually, then other parts of the country. But our pension program is a mess. I am not depending on the state or the city to follow pension laws & fund our pensions, which is crazy to say since I pay into it every paycheck. My department offers a deferred comp. program, which I use. I also have opened up other accounts to save for retirement. You have to be proactive & plan for your future (that goes for any career choice).

My point is IL's government is a cluster f*ck but it doesn't mean you can't plan for your future. In the end you have to weigh the pros & cons. You have time on your side to do so. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeStudent15 View Post
      I'm 19 currently going to a community college and going to transfer to Western Illinois University. Im going to try and get a bachelors in parks and rec with a minor in criminal justice. my goal is to become a state trooper, but not sure what state yet.
      I recently did a ride along and they said don't be a police officer in Illinois because we don't have any money for like retirement. So I was wondering from other police officers in Illinois, if you agree with that?
      I think most of us would agree there are states that are a lot more pro law enforcement than Illinois. We get paid a lot more than many other places (at least those of us in NE Illinois). I do think you are wise in majoring in something other than criminal justice. Always be thinking about what you would like to do AFTER this job or if you end up not doing it. If your passion is criminal justice, that's great...major in criminal justice but do it because you want to, not because you think it will give you a leg up. In reality you learn how to survive and make a case on the street, nowhere else.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5827 users online. 264 members and 5563 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X