300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part-time jobs for police officers?

I was just curious what, if any, part-time jobs do police officers work on their off days.

I know some security companies pay extra for certified officers.

Does anyone know of any Chicagoloand area companies that have pay bump for certified officers?

Thanks

A lot of officers part time job is their full-time departments detail/overtime/hireback/we need bodies for this event- list. Normally paid at 1.5 which means you'll probably make more than working for some security even if they are paying 20 or 25/hr.

Comment

I don't see why the OT questions come up so often. Once you get on F/T somewhere, the over time is usually pretty plentiful. Between details, call-ins, court time, etc. You can basically take your salary and add 10K onto it from over time obtained. With all you'll do with your job, working a second job would just be over kill.

Comment

Not all places have that though..... Or its based on seniority and younger guys can't get it.

CPD is that way..... Special detail is based on seniority and there isn't any real "hire back" at least it's not easily obtainable by young guys.

Comment

Well. In that case. Lots of arrests and aim for felonies. Off-key subpoenas for OT builds quick, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
            Well. In that case. Lots of arrests and aim for felonies. Off-key subpoenas for OT builds quick, lol.
            Unless you are in Cook County, where you have to try the case before the ASA while 'screening' and then only to have them deny it but 'reserve the right to upgrade the charges later'

But yes, on pace for 10 OT hours just from court this month. Gotta make those solid arrest and follow through. However, full disclosure, I make a very respectable base pay and so far I have managed to live within those means. So when I work OT, I can spend it on something nice. Oh more disclosure, I hogged the last 2 OT checks, I have to spend this one on the ol lady to keep the peace.

Comment

Court and late jobs were my overtime. Never worked a side job when I was a Detective, as there was none that could match the $65 hr. I would make on OT.Use to love it when a case didn't go in court. I happily took $200 for a drive back and forth from 26th & Cal. Don't depend on the OT to pay your monthly bills and you'll be ok. A few years I made about $50K in OT, which the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago thanked me for. We had a saying in the D, "Solve no crime 'till overtime."

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                Court and late jobs were my overtime. Never worked a side job when I was a Detective, as there was none that could match the $65 hr. I would make on OT.Use to love it when a case didn't go in court. I happily took $200 for a drive back and forth from 26th & Cal. Don't depend on the OT to pay your monthly bills and you'll be ok. A few years I made about $50K in OT, which the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago thanked me for. We had a saying in the D, "Solve no crime 'till overtime."
                I dont need the overtime to pay my bills, but I certainly don't even miss the deductions I have going into deferred comp. If you treat this career right, it can take care of you and your family very well.

Comment

Originally posted by D.T.O.M View Post
                  Not all places have that though..... Or its based on seniority and younger guys can't get it.

CPD is that way..... Special detail is based on seniority and there isn't any real "hire back" at least it's not easily obtainable by young guys.
                  Yeah we don't have a lot of overtime. We get late calls and people are racing to the scene like maniacs so they can clear for 42. The details are occasional so when they come up there are quite a few reindeer games to make the list. I don't like working details but I do what I need to.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
                    Oh more disclosure, I hogged the last 2 OT checks, I have to spend this one on the ol lady to keep the peace.
                    This is more my concern. I have 2 toddlers and a wife, so base pay goes to the family. My wife and I agreed that all OT is my "fun money". So either motorcycle time or sports car time.

Comment

Check out Blur Star Security and Grand Central Security. Both companies ran by Chicago Coppers, pay varies per jobs, but easy money never the less.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9489 users online. 375 members and 9114 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X