Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walicito37
    replied
    Oh snap! A new Harvey thread for us to beat this dead horse. I too worked in HARVEYWORLD and have since moved on to "greener" pastures (old name was itsme37). Harvey was a grand old time, you will hit the ground running and what you deal with there will prep you for advancement at other departments. If your ambition is to work for Naperville, Oak Brook, or Orland Park then you need not apply. They will probably never take a Harvey lateral. Anywhere else, you should be good as long as you go in, do your shift, arrest the baddies and go home to your family.

Leave a comment:

• littleguy
    replied
    Every department has good and bad apples. For some reason the bad administration or bad apples reflect poorly on the good officers. Test, get hired and keep your nose clean. Stay If you like it or move on. One word of advice stay away from disgruntled officers as they will kill your ambition and goals on the profession. I have met many officers in the past who seemed like stand up guys from Harvey. Good luck ladies / gentleman.

Leave a comment:

• USMC86
    replied
    Harvey PD used PTI now.

Originally posted by southpaw13 View Post
    Just curious how long were you there and do they still use CPD Metro?

Leave a comment:

• StephDakel
    replied
    4 years.

And I forgot to mention, Illinois State Police took a lateral from Harvey within the last 6-8 months.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw13
    replied
    @JS

I let his comment go, but I appreciate you having my back and thanks for the response!

Leave a comment:

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    Originally posted by chiefs123 View Post
    It shocks me Southpaw is still on here defending garbage departments. Harvey was just on the news, the residents are crying for help. STAY AWAY. The place is a cesspool
    Actually southpaw is on point but I don't think you are. southpaw recognizes that even troubled departments have great people that for whatever personal reasons chose to stay there. Likewise, there are some great departments with some real morons and slugs. southpaw's intentions were noble from the start, realizing what it is like to be a misunderstood or wrongly categorized officer. He didn't want to take part in saying negative things because he was considering the good people there. If you think there is something wrong with that I'm shocked by you. When you see faces of people you know on the news or here good people hung out to dry or scrutinized for doing the right thing, you may be a little more sensitive to hopping in to say negative things. There is a department I work near that does not have a great rep BUT I'm so happy to see them because they are often our first back up when the nearest car isn't close. And they cross into town without going over the air and are on some of our calls before we get there. Now at my dept we do laugh at them all the time (and we know they laugh at us) but if someone else says something about them...I defend them, because people don't know of how good and reliable they can be. The good and the ugly does coexist. That's why southpaw was speaking up for Harvey.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    I know this question was for Steph but I am positive they have used PTI recently. As you know that doesn't mean it was a wholesale switch. A lot of departments switch up between availability. I've seen a lot of 2 way or 3 way choices: PTI or ISP and Metro, Sheriff's or SLEA.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw13
    replied

Leave a comment:

• StephDakel
    replied
    As a former Officer from Harvey I think one of the biggest misconceptions is working for Harvey will taint you, thus other departments will pass on hiring you. This could be no further from the truth. In fact in the last 5 years alone, departments such as Burbank, Joliet, Evanston, Cicero, Oakbrook, and Chicago (PLENTY) have hired officers from Harvey. After reading this forum I'm sure this doesn't seem believable, but believe me - I'm one of those guys. I'm sure current and former Officers for Harvey on this forum can verify this.

Leave a comment:

• jehende
    replied
    I'll keep this brief. I use to work next door to Harvey. Heard some very interesting things. The bad outweighs the good and that's simply how it is. There are some great police officers as I stated before, but there is a ton of improvement needed! Use it as a stepping stone and get out of there quickly!

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    I will say, from a relative of mine that's tested there, if you can get in the 70's or higher, pass the power, you will get hired there. Harvey's test is not one of the easiest, and to their credit, you do get your score as soon as you are done with the test. It seems that their oral board has no rhyme or reason to it, though, with commissioners just throwing out questions off the top of their heads at applicants.
    As was said, you will get street experience, but not a lot of experience you need to move on (see report writing, inventory, or arrest procedures), and just because a supervisor wants you to do something, doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct way to do it.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw13
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
    Respectfully, the original thread asked for our opinions and experiences. Some of the things I shared came firsthand from present personnel. If we are hurting new guys by sharing the truth with them, this is the wrong field for them. It does these guys no justice to only talk about things they want to hear and not mention the things that might be the nail in the coffin for them leaving that department or the job. I said it before and I'll say it again..I know and socialize with multiple officers that started Harvey and left AND those who work there now. I don't know one of them that would be personally offended over talking about these things. They are not exactly fans of how it is there.
    No, I get it. I was just speaking for myself on that one. I could see how the wording may have came across wrong so that was my fault actually. You and a few others were speaking of your first hand, personal experiences and that is basically what the OP asked for and got, so I can't argue there.

Leave a comment:

• chiefs123
    replied
    It shocks me Southpaw is still on here defending garbage departments. Harvey was just on the news, the residents are crying for help. STAY AWAY. The place is a cesspool

Leave a comment:

• Joe Snuffy
    replied
    At the end of the day, most of our opinions are as outsiders looking in to this specific PD. Out of respect to the good people there that move on and become most of our co-workers eventually, I decided my opinion doesn't carry much value or really matter here. I'll leave it at that. At least give the new guys there a fighting chance. Good luck to those testing!
    Respectfully, the original thread asked for our opinions and experiences. Some of the things I shared came firsthand from present personnel. If we are hurting new guys by sharing the truth with them, this is the wrong field for them. It does these guys no justice to only talk about things they want to hear and not mention the things that might be the nail in the coffin for them leaving that department or the job. I said it before and I'll say it again..I know and socialize with multiple officers that started Harvey and left AND those who work there now. I don't know one of them that would be personally offended over talking about these things. They are not exactly fans of how it is there.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw13
    replied
    At the end of the day, most of our opinions are as outsiders looking in to this specific PD. Out of respect to the good people there that move on and become most of our co-workers eventually, I decided my opinion doesn't carry much value or really matter here. I'll leave it at that. At least give the new guys there a fighting chance. Good luck to those testing!

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12467 users online. 415 members and 12052 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X