300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
    i couldn't picture being anything else but a cop but not at any cost. In my opinion harvey is one of those places. I was very selective with where i tested and am currently on a well respected department and also left from one too. You will be tainted by association no doubt. Also i like the statement of "you will be the police". What exactly does that mean? If all you do is go on shooting calls, aren't taught proper investigative and evidence procedures. And if your report reads "responded to shooting, saw victim shot, no witnesses. Scene turned over to investigations and cleared". Well you really aren't learning how to be the police. My advice is never test or take a job anywhere you couldn't picture spending your entire career. Sometimes that stepping stone turns into the rock that drowns you.
    classic post imo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw13 View Post
      All BS aside, I have a lot of respect for that officer who pushed the rookie officer out of the way and literally took a bullet for him last year. Thankfully he survived to tell about it. You can't teach that in the academy. When someone says "Harvey PD"...that's what comes to my mind honestly. I just wanted to add that, but that's just my opinion.

Speaking in general now, it just takes 1 bad apple to give a PD a black eye....remember that. It could happen any day, anywhere and it might change the way you or the public view YOUR PD. For full disclosure, I don't work here.
      He very well may have prevented an LOD that day and his heroics were on full display. With that said, most of the criticism presented here didn't address officers, it addressed management and major operational flaws. His attitude and his actions that day is not representative of how the department is viewed inwardly...by its own officers.

Comment

. Speaking in general now, it just takes 1 bad apple to give a PD a black eye....remember that. It could happen any day, anywhere and it might change the way you or the public view YOUR PD. For full disclosure, I don't work here.
        Problem is, Harvey didn't have one bad apple. They had a bad tree at one point. They didn't have one black eye, they had an armada of them to where many Officer's at many different departments throughout the state said "WOW". It's not just a little story that got them the rep, it was many.

Comment

So glad I'm staying away from here.....WOW

Comment

I work near Harvey (not for Harvey), and I highly suggest you consider elsewhere if you can. They have some good guys there (they've backed me up a few times and I appreciate it greatly), but overall the department and city are a disaster.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/w...ry.html#page=1

Comment

Edited out
              Last edited by southpaw13; 08-11-2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

It's just one of those things... There may be great guys there with a lot of potential, but because of where they work, it will hold them down or give them a bad stigma.

Comment

Avoid Harvey if you can. I know for most guys entry level you try to get on with who hire yout first. Most towns have some sort of corruption, but Harvey is like thee worst! You would get a hell of a experience, but you also may have some difficulty moving onto another department. Harvey reputation is awful. Although there are great Guys and gals at the pd...the overall rep ruins it for most of the people. Until a new mayor is elected...expect things to be as is.

Comment

A lot of people will talk bad in this forum about Harvey. If you really want to be the police, then apply and get certified. if you want to listen to the people talk crap then go ahead and don't apply. i can bet that most of the people that talk crap on the forum are the same people that go and test. All they try to do is eliminate the competition at the testing. it's all about how bad you want to be the police. i do agree with some, don't stay at harvey. get experience and go elsewhere. guys that start off at harvey and go elsewhere do great at other departments.

Comment

I know some great Guys on the police department. I'm speaking in regards to the rep of the city, which weighs down on the PD. I've known guys to say they find it hard to move on...and some that have successfully moved on. Bottom line...get certified and move on.

Comment

At the end of the day, most of our opinions are as outsiders looking in to this specific PD. Out of respect to the good people there that move on and become most of our co-workers eventually, I decided my opinion doesn't carry much value or really matter here. I'll leave it at that. At least give the new guys there a fighting chance. Good luck to those testing!

Comment

At the end of the day, most of our opinions are as outsiders looking in to this specific PD. Out of respect to the good people there that move on and become most of our co-workers eventually, I decided my opinion doesn't carry much value or really matter here. I'll leave it at that. At least give the new guys there a fighting chance. Good luck to those testing!
                          Respectfully, the original thread asked for our opinions and experiences. Some of the things I shared came firsthand from present personnel. If we are hurting new guys by sharing the truth with them, this is the wrong field for them. It does these guys no justice to only talk about things they want to hear and not mention the things that might be the nail in the coffin for them leaving that department or the job. I said it before and I'll say it again..I know and socialize with multiple officers that started Harvey and left AND those who work there now. I don't know one of them that would be personally offended over talking about these things. They are not exactly fans of how it is there.

Comment

It shocks me Southpaw is still on here defending garbage departments. Harvey was just on the news, the residents are crying for help. STAY AWAY. The place is a cesspool

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
                              Respectfully, the original thread asked for our opinions and experiences. Some of the things I shared came firsthand from present personnel. If we are hurting new guys by sharing the truth with them, this is the wrong field for them. It does these guys no justice to only talk about things they want to hear and not mention the things that might be the nail in the coffin for them leaving that department or the job. I said it before and I'll say it again..I know and socialize with multiple officers that started Harvey and left AND those who work there now. I don't know one of them that would be personally offended over talking about these things. They are not exactly fans of how it is there.
                              No, I get it. I was just speaking for myself on that one. I could see how the wording may have came across wrong so that was my fault actually. You and a few others were speaking of your first hand, personal experiences and that is basically what the OP asked for and got, so I can't argue there.

Comment

I will say, from a relative of mine that's tested there, if you can get in the 70's or higher, pass the power, you will get hired there. Harvey's test is not one of the easiest, and to their credit, you do get your score as soon as you are done with the test. It seems that their oral board has no rhyme or reason to it, though, with commissioners just throwing out questions off the top of their heads at applicants.
                                As was said, you will get street experience, but not a lot of experience you need to move on (see report writing, inventory, or arrest procedures), and just because a supervisor wants you to do something, doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct way to do it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11175 users online. 451 members and 10724 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X