300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvey

Does anyone have any solid info on this dept? Any info whatsoever would be awesome.

Harvey PD is growing. there is a bad reputation but the officers that work there are the best. you get a lot of experience. you will see a lot of things that other departments don't. it's a great place to get your feet wet and then go to another department if you wish. it's the place to be the real police.

Comment

No shade against the dept, they are actively cleaning house and things will be in order. But, Harvey is a near south suburb and most of the issues that plague the southside plagues Harvey, there is still a lot of running and gunning out there. Maybe a couple of months ago, an armed robber shot at responding officers. That was situation in which a trial was not needed. Relative worked there in the 90s.

Comment

The starting pay is below average and there seems to be guys from Harvey at every test. I hear real bad things, just wanted clarity from you guys

Comment

You are going to hear bad things about every dept. Just remember the grass is not always greener on the other side. The starting pay is what it is. If you cant live off of it, then do not apply. Thats the starting pay, I don't know the top out. Also, dont forget about that nice thing called over time. I'm on pace to make 13000 in ot my first year on the dept. So you know what is best for you. IF you get hired, and dont like it or cant pay your bills, then lateral somewhere else. You would be at least a bit more desirable since you would be already certified.

Caveat.......the experience you could gain in Harvey will be great because so much going on that city. You have some good people that live there and want to keep to themselves. I dont know how the HS football team is doing but they were always a lock to make the playoffs and sent several players to the NFL. Then on the other hand you have real turds who move dope, beat each other, launder money, shootings, robbery, and other stuff that will help you cut your teeth as a new cop.

On another note, I miss George's Ribs.........

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
            You are going to hear bad things about every dept. Just remember the grass is not always greener on the other side. The starting pay is what it is. If you cant live off of it, then do not apply. Thats the starting pay, I don't know the top out. Also, dont forget about that nice thing called over time. I'm on pace to make 13000 in ot my first year on the dept. So you know what is best for you. IF you get hired, and dont like it or cant pay your bills, then lateral somewhere else. You would be at least a bit more desirable since you would be already certified.

Caveat.......the experience you could gain in Harvey will be great because so much going on that city. You have some good people that live there and want to keep to themselves. I dont know how the HS football team is doing but they were always a lock to make the playoffs and sent several players to the NFL. Then on the other hand you have real turds who move dope, beat each other, launder money, shootings, robbery, and other stuff that will help you cut your teeth as a new cop.

On another note, I miss George's Ribs.........
            I swear I am not making this up...a very credible and well respected guy I know insists that he stopped eating there because he found out George was peeing on coppers' ribs. Where he got it from I don't know but I have never found this guy's information to be wrong. I can't make this up.

Comment

Originally posted by maidana View Post
              The starting pay is below average and there seems to be guys from Harvey at every test. I hear real bad things, just wanted clarity from you guys
              This coming from a guy who has stuck up for Harvey on this same site several times...you only go there until you can get out. I know enough former and present guys there to say this: the rumors you hear about Harvey are probably true. The starting is bad. The top out is just the same. The politics are probably worse than any other town you would apply for. Of course there are great cops there but they are basically set up for failure. The link below includes documents, that while 2.5 plus years old, tell you formally what other police agencies thought about Harvey's operations. This includes, starting at page 29, an assessment from South Suburban Major Crimes Taskforce that denies entry to Harvey PD. Just a note, SSMCTF investigates homicides and major shootings etc. and Harvey, which has plenty of both, was denied entry. Other places have been known for graft, corruption and high crime and were still admitted. Not to mention about decade of unmet pension payments. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...403-story.html

You'll be the real police alright...the real broke, looking for any way out of Harvey police.
              http://www.documentcloud.org/documen...ent-audit.html

Comment

...they works 12s, have close to no in car computers, they still do hand written reports, about 2 yrs ago a major storm came through and knocked out all their 911 operations so they were taking calls/instructions via their cell phones. I know some really good guys who USED TO work there. Guys that survive there and lateral out do seem to do well wherever they end up. Some great guys there but a neglected and pillaged city...trickled down to the PD.
                Last edited by Joe Snuffy; 08-07-2015, 10:28 PM. Reason: additional

Comment

I know of a harvey guy that put in several years and got some good experience and moved out to a further suburban department. Like some have said you will run and gun and get to be the police. Got
                  Offered a job about 2 years ago but turned it down. It's a departmemt where you could learn a lot, but keep your work clean so you don't get caught up. If you are starting out in law enforcement apply but don't stay to long and keep testing. I've talked bad about them before but it's what you make out of it.

Comment

Great info thanks guys

Comment

...here's one for you. My agency had to follow up with Harvey on an Armed Robbery that occurred about 4hrs prior. The report was "lost" and no one knew where to find it. Investigators tried to get the report and was told there was "nothing that can be done because it was lost". Just wow.

Comment

My family was really close to George, and I admit I had never heard anything about that (but put nothing past nobody however). Thats pretty bogus if true. Suppose karma comes around. Also, I have a relative who USED to work there. Should have emphasized that part, but I let people make their own opinions. Nothing said on this forum relating to Harvey has been false.

Comment

My bad news Harvey story has to do with a murder investigation we were on. When it took us from Harvey to a neighboring burb, we observed the officers from these 2 places do the "Vice Lord" handshake when we all met up. We made up an excuse to leave , as there were great reservations about our "target's info" being given to him.

I read the audit. It was amazing that there were/are P/O's that were hired there without a BI being done, being printed, or having a CQH run on them prior to hire. The evidence procedures already account for one Detective's life being ruined and him going to prison. If you read between the lines, it appears that they like to give jobs "with titles" to people that may not be the best for the job, or totally incompetent for the job. A Division who's only person assigned is a "Commander?" And the auditors who gave a report to the SSMCTF on why Harvey be denied admission, were being kind. The actual reason has to do with things like what I typed in the first paragraph on this post.

As was said by others here, you will get good street experience there, maybe/maybe not the best organizational/ operation procedural experience. In you do plan on using it as a stepping stone, don't stay more than a few years, as other PD's may look at as "tainted" by Harvey's ways.
                          Last edited by ChiTownDet; 08-08-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I couldn't picture being anything else but a cop BUT not at any cost. In my opinion Harvey is one of those places. I was very selective with where I tested and am currently on a well respected department and also left from one too. You will be tainted by association no doubt. Also I like the statement of "you will be the Police". What exactly does that mean? If all you do is go on shooting calls, aren't taught proper investigative and evidence procedures. And if your report reads "responded to shooting, saw victim shot, no witnesses. Scene turned over to investigations and cleared". Well you really aren't learning how to be the Police. My advice is never test or take a job anywhere you couldn't picture spending your entire career. Sometimes that stepping stone turns into the rock that drowns you.
                            Last edited by dogcop; 08-09-2015, 10:04 AM.
                            www.saveavet.org

Comment

All BS aside, I have a lot of respect for that officer who pushed the rookie officer out of the way and literally took a bullet for him last year. Thankfully he survived to tell about it. You can't teach that in the academy. When someone says "Harvey PD"...that's what comes to my mind honestly. I just wanted to add that, but that's just my opinion.

Speaking in general now, it just takes 1 bad apple to give a PD a black eye....remember that. It could happen any day, anywhere and it might change the way you or the public view YOUR PD. For full disclosure, I don't work here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7809 users online. 357 members and 7452 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X