300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjyextreme View Post
    I'm starting the academy in September! Very excited, but does anyone know the out of pocket costs for equipment while in the academy? I'm coming from the county and I spent around 4 grand there.
    The last couple times ive been there (VCG) its been a zoo. Disorganized and way too much time in the store. I feel like im shopping at Kohls in Riverside when im there.

What is your Dept supplying you with ? As you can see from the previous post, the damage is minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by littleguy View Post
      I remember spending around 400.00 in academy gear. Good luck that was close to 11 yrs ago at Metro.
      $400?!?!? My dept got us all our initial gear which was good. What they didn't plan for was actually counting apparently. They gave us $1,200 which was not enough. Uniform change comes and we had NO money left to buy hats, coats, gloves and long sleeves for the winter. It was like....hmmm, you guys forget an entire season?

Comment

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I still have the shirts with the lettering. lol

Comment

That was out of my pocket Joe Snuffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritter View Post
              Some depts. go with you and buy everything you need and/or supply it, others will reimburse you for what you need. Im sure there is only a handful that would leave you on the hook to pay for everything.
              That was my experience with county lmao
              CCSO

Comment

Any new general changes/tips within the last two academies perhaps? I’m coming out of state and will begin the May metro academy so this will be my second rodeo. I will be provided a few items by my agency and I have personal equipment as well, which should save me some money. Any personal questions feel free to pm

Comment

If you can borrow the "Red Man" helmet, inert OC, and snap caps for whatever caliber gun your using, do it. This is stuff you'll never use again.

Comment

Originally posted by CUCUY_8 View Post
                    Any new general changes/tips within the last two academies perhaps? I’m coming out of state and will begin the May metro academy so this will be my second rodeo. I will be provided a few items by my agency and I have personal equipment as well, which should save me some money. Any personal questions feel free to pm
                    Please tell me all you can. I am be attending in May. What are the hours like? How long is it? 14 weeks? Any suggestions?

Comment

I was in Metro about 34 yrs ago, so I'm no help on this. My kid was in 3 1/2 yrs ago. Hours were like 0730 - 1600, M-F. He went 16 weeks, but this year the state upped the minimum hours for basic academy, so Chicago will up it also to 18-20 weeks. Do what you are told, pay attention. One thing that has changed from when I was in: we had WEEKLY tests, on Fridays. It's now every month or so. All the tests lead up to the big one, the State Cert Test, at the end of the academy, which you have to pass to get out and keep your job. I was the 238th person to take the State test in Illinois.

The academy is the first place where you will making law enforcement contacts that will stay with you forever. My kid still goes out semi regularly with some of the people he was in Metro with. A few will be life long friends, whose weddings, etc you will go to. The Metro Class seems to have more Chicago area people in it, where COD, PTI, have people from all over the state.

What happened to me is the first Police job I had sent me to Cook Co. Sheriff's Police Academy, then the next one had me go to Chicago Metro, and last was when I was Hired on Chicago, the CPD Academy. I guess third time was the charm. At that point, I was all "academied out." CPDAcademy came less than 2 years after I was in Metro. First day, we're lined up in front of our homeroom, in our suits, and my Metro homeroom instructor was walking by, looks at me, laughs, and says, "You can't get enough of this shiate, can you?"
                      Last edited by ChiTownDet; 04-21-2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosh725 View Post
                        I was in a 2014 class. Hit me up if you need info
                        Sending you a pm

Comment

Hey guys, I might be going to the next metro academy that starts in Jan of next year sometime. I was wondering if someone who has recently been there could give me any advice on what to prepare for?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8469 users online. 385 members and 8084 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X