300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Metro Police Academy

A lot of the posts on here regarding Chicago metro are very old and don't have much information.

Anyone recently (I.e. Past 5 years) attend that an share some information?

What's the days like?
    How's the PT?
    Tips/pointers?

Originally posted by quantico90 View Post
    A lot of the posts on here regarding Chicago metro are very old and don't have much information.

What's the days like?
    How's the PT?
    Tips/pointers?
    I attended the Metro Academy in 2011 and I recall that our days were 0630-1430 hours. Parking won't be much of an issue since the CPD guys start later and you'll have your pick of parking right out front of the building. Make sure your car is legal with both plates, legal tints, etc.

Physical training and defensive training will be almost daily and they'll take you on some scenic long runs downtown with your supervisor. Your first day in the gym will be brutal and you'll find a few that end up puking.

Tips just include having everything you need for the day. Coordinate with your classmates to bring Windex for your glossy shoes, lighters for bits of string hanging off your uniform and extra supplies for those that forget something.

PM me with any other questions.

Comment

Oh man. I went through in '98. I'm sure things have changed A LOT though. Was a good time. After about a month in, it was almost expected that after class on Friday you'd be in one of the local bars, usually Ira's, and you threw some back with the Instructors. Bet that doesn't happen anymore. Ha
      www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by quantico90 View Post

What's the days like?
        How's the PT?
        Tips/pointers?
        I didn't go to Metro but it's been said the difference between Metro and the Chicago Police Academy is Metro makes twice the officer in half the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
          Oh man. I went through in '98. I'm sure things have changed A LOT though. Was a good time. After about a month in, it was almost expected that after class on Friday you'd be in one of the local bars, usually Ira's, and you threw some back with the Instructors. Bet that doesn't happen anymore. Ha
          Ira's closed about 6-7 years ago. Now it's called Third Rail. Hint for Metro Class. Get there about an hour early and park on the Adams St. side by the park.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it!

Comment

The PT isn't horrible any more. The PT was heavily toned down because some recruits sued claiming they developed conditions due to being overworked in PT. In turn, a lot of the crossfit style workouts don't fly any more. Depending on who your home room instructor is though, you will be either running a lot and working your *** off, or you won't be doing much at all besides PT class itself. If a certain Sgt appears in your room though with his PT gear on... You are all doomed.

Comment

I graduated from the METRO class in 2014!

The academy is no joke, they are very strict from the first second you walk in that door. They will touch your face to see if you shaved, check your uniform down to the last thread and punish the entire class accordingly. The P.T. wasn't too bad honestly, but there were some days where we would run 3-5 miles inside including up and down stairs. I was in pretty good shape going in and some of the days I didn't know if I could take another step, but I managed.

Don't forget ANY gear- I left my duty belt in my car the first day of gym (known as "welcome to the gym"). I ended up having to do 50 pushups for that one, so make sure you have all of your gear. A female from my PD in my academy class actually broke her leg during a drill 2 weeks before graduation, so definitely be careful. They may tone things back for that reason. But the P.T. instructors are VERY knowledgeable and excellent trainers.

Our days started at 0500 hrs with us lined up in formation outside of the classroom waiting for our first instructor. We had a weekly schedule so we knew what to expect. An example day would consist of law, P.T., firearms training, and some sort of other class. One week will be dedicated to driving school later on, one week for the tactical training unit, etc.

Just remember, it WILL end one day and nothing felt better than walking across that stage at graduation. Remember, there are thousands of other people testing dying to get into the academy and hired. If you have ANY questions at all, please feel free to PM me!
                Best of luck!

Comment

I went through about 9 yrs ago with a great group of guys. Mr. Smith and big toe Manila were the instructors. When you walk in the front door greet the officer with good morning. Be in formation by 0500 hrs and keep your mouth shut. PT is brutal.Scenarios are somewhat close to what you will do on the job. Firearms was fun but strict which it should be. Survival week will make you think. Read and study all material provided. We had a 100% pass rate. Then you will get to walk across the stage at South Shore Cultural Center. An experience I will never forget. Btw, Mr. Smith had a wood police baton we stole with the help of Manila. We returned to him painted fluorescent pink. Good luck and graduate. Get on the job and avoid the disgruntled officers and you will be successful. Be safe new guys!

Comment

Our graduation was in the gym. Felt like 8th grade graduation. Lol. But I didn't care of course, was happy to be done. Hyfantis still teach the law portion?
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Dog cop we had Harris.

Comment

Did our Metro and City graduations in the gym, also Dog. Last few Metro grad. were at HQ on 35th-Michigan in a large conference room with a stage, not the big auditorium. I'm amazed at how small the Metro Classes have been (usually 10-15). Back when I went through, the average was the same as the City classes (20-30). This may be due to back then, there only being CPD Metro, CCSPD, PTI, and ISP for suburban recruits, with ISP taking in mostly downstate recruits.
                        Good Luck in the Academy..
                        Last edited by ChiTownDet; 06-28-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                          Did our Metro and City graduations in the gym, also Dog. Last few Metro grad. were at HQ on 35th-Michigan in a large conference room with a stage, not the big auditorium. I'm amazed at how small the Metro Classes have been (usually 10-15). Back when I went through, the average was the same as the City classes (20-30). This may be due to back then, there only being CPD Metro, CCSPD, PTI, and ISP for suburban recruits, with ISP taking in mostly downstate recruits.
                          Good Luck in the Academy..
                          Heyyy! No fair, you forgot hardchargin' SLEA.

Comment

Yeah ChiTown. I was 98-103A and we had a B class too. Was like 25 in each. Yup, with so many more academies now it's definitely getting spread out.
                            www.saveavet.org

Comment

I was in a 2014 class. Hit me up if you need info

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8566 users online. 463 members and 8103 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X