300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating to CHI area

LEO relocating to Chicago area. Have to live within 50 miles of Cicero; any advice on places to look. Have to consider the schools as I have young kids...

Thanks!

Chicago Metro has a lot to offer, have you applied to any departments? What kind of timeframe are you looking at?

Comment

I have a position based out of the Cicero area. Will have a company vehicle so the commute isn't an issue other than I need to reside within 50 miles. Schools are important with the young kids...

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by DuNorth View Post
        I have a position based out of the Cicero area. Will have a company vehicle so the commute isn't an issue other than I need to reside within 50 miles. Schools are important with the young kids...

Thanks for the reply.
        Oak Park is right there on the border and they probably have the best public schools anywhere around there. The cost of living is pretty high however and you probably won't find anything that you would call reasonable. The schools should satisfy you though.

Comment

A buddy of mine lives in Lisle and had nothing but good things to say about it. Might be worth a look

Comment

I think the website is greatschools.org or like schools.org. It may help you if your biggest priority is a decent school district. I am not sure where you are coming from, but take into account traffic also, it can literally be hit or miss, but when it's miss, like every route and artery is clogged. Only place I been too with worse traffic is Seattle metro and NYC

Comment

North Riverside, Brookfield, LaGrange Park if you wanna live reasonable and pretty close. Glen Ellyn, St.Charles, Homer Glen if you wanna live far and reasonable.

Comment

If you go southwest, Lemont, Orland, Tinley, Mokena, if you go west, Start LaGrange/LG Park (too many Cicero transplants in Brookfield, getting a gang problem there) and go west, North, start Elmwood Park and go north and northwest from there. Oak Pk does have good schools, but too close to the west side, unless you want the "urban experience." Town full of victims (sorry JN). For real reasonable housing and pretty decent near Cicero, look at Stickney and Forest View, I'll even throw in far south end of Berwyn in there. 5 minutes from Cicero. Don't look in Cicero (grew up there , work near it) lots of gang crap there, unless English is a second language..I'd nix Aurora, Elgin, and Bolingbrook. If the PD has a need for a Gang Unit, stay away.
                Before I retired as a Det. from Chicago, I've probably been to every burb south, west and near NW of the City on some type of investigation over the years. Stay away from the south burbs, they've become an urban wasteland. Want to PM me for specifics or places you're considering, feel free.
                Last edited by ChiTownDet; 06-20-2015, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Appreciate everyone's responses! Gives me some locations and resources to look into.

Thanks again; stay safe.

Comment

anywhere but crook county.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                      If you go southwest, Lemont, Orland, Tinley, Mokena, if you go west, Start LaGrange/LG Park (too many Cicero transplants in Brookfield, getting a gang problem there) and go west, North, start Elmwood Park and go north and northwest from there. Oak Pk does have good schools, but too close to the west side, unless you want the "urban experience." Town full of victims (sorry JN). For real reasonable housing and pretty decent near Cicero, look at Stickney and Forest View, I'll even throw in far south end of Berwyn in there. 5 minutes from Cicero. Don't look in Cicero (grew up there , work near it) lots of gang crap there, unless English is a second language..I'd nix Aurora, Elgin, and Bolingbrook. If the PD has a need for a Gang Unit, stay away.
                      Before I retired as a Det. from Chicago, I've probably been to every burb south, west and near NW of the City on some type of investigation over the years. Stay away from the south burbs, they've become an urban wasteland. Want to PM me for specifics or places you're considering, feel free.
                      You left out willful....a town full of willful victims. In my defense he did not ask about getting robbed, just a good school for the kids LOL. Hey, both are possible.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7767 users online. 359 members and 7408 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X