300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family at home while at PTI

this may be in the wrong room. But is family life hard while away at PTI?

Originally posted by Wfreed9730 View Post
    this may be in the wrong room. But is family life hard while away at PTI?
    Being away from family is hard regardless of where you are, what you are doing. It's manageable and at least you get to come home on the weekends and you know when it will end. When you come home, your family will want to hear all your exciting stories and all that but remember to kinda push your excitement to the side and ask how life has been for them. It can be stressful and lonely but in the end it is done all the time and I am positive you won't be alone. Link up with some other people like self in the academy and some of them may have some pointers you could pick up on. You'll be glad to miss some things and probably sad to miss others but stay focused and if your head is in the right place you can at least remind yourself that you are down there for your family anyway. NEVER put this job before your family. Great husband, great father are much better titles than great cop. Funny thing is, the cops I most admire are actually all crazy about their kids and their family lives...and they are great cops. I think it helps.
    Last edited by Joe Snuffy; 04-22-2015, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Check out this book. It is my favorite law enforcement related book. It's real refreshing to see a guy not asking about guns, academies and shifts but their family.

http://www.valorebooks.com/textbooks...&date=04/22/15

Comment

Thanks bud... Great advise.... This was my on "concern" if you can call it that about going away to an academy... I'll definitely check it out

Comment

A resident academy has at least one advantage over a go home academy(like SLEA or CPD). Being immersed all week really gives you the ability to soak in the vast amount of info being thrown at you as opposed to I knew guys at SLEA who had a 75-90 min commute IN GOOD WEATHER. They said they would have preferred PTI. I spent years away from home in the military. I can tell you that your family or support structure makes all the difference in the world. Being gone, you need that rock to anchor the homefront. Just be sure when you are done, or come home, you let that rock know how much you appreciate and are grateful for all that they have done.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
            A resident academy has at least one advantage over a go home academy(like SLEA or CPD). Being immersed all week really gives you the ability to soak in the vast amount of info being thrown at you as opposed to I knew guys at SLEA who had a 75-90 min commute IN GOOD WEATHER. They said they would have preferred PTI. I spent years away from home in the military. I can tell you that your family or support structure makes all the difference in the world. Being gone, you need that rock to anchor the homefront. Just be sure when you are done, or come home, you let that rock know how much you appreciate and are grateful for all that they have done.
            My commute easily added another 2-3 hours. The days were longgggg but I was so used to college I guess it didn't hit me too hard. Funny thing was when I graduated, working the streets for 8 hours was hurting me much easier than 12 hours at the academy.

Comment

Just my 2 cents. I went to PTI back in 07 and i found out exactly 5 days before i left. The first week is hard but it gets easier especially once you develop friendship with the other guys. There were definitely some Sunday nights that I didnt want to leave, but just look at it as a short term sacrifice in order to achieve your long term goals. Good luck to you

Comment

Thank you sir

Comment

My father did the PTI Police Academy just about 40 years ago now and it was the same thing even back then but he said it was in Lisle. You lived there back then too. What Cowboy said about friendships is true, my dad is still friends with a couple of the guys four decades later.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6049 users online. 226 members and 5823 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X