300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    Drove someone there also. Took forever for him to get done.
    Were you reading the paper or standing next to and talking to someone about to run before we went on our run at the Accelerated building indoor soccer field?
    "I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Comment

I have to say that before I landed back home here in Illinois, I tested and got hired by agencies in Seattle and Louisville. I can tell you that there is a difference here in Illinois compared to other places. First off, lucky for me, I was applying to departments that had 50+ openings, so when they made a list, it was to hire. Some places here have to exhaust a list for two years just to hire one person. But the number and types of test I've seen people here complain about, like COPS, makes me think there may actually be something not quite right with the test. Also, the written test and the oral board to a department I applied to was scored, but they counted them as pass/fail. So if you made the list at any rate. You had a good shot at being hired, that happened to me. Barely passed the first OB, but was the first hiree. I feel for my brothers and sisters who literally have to apply for years to get hired. But at the very least, some are thankful they get hired.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
        I have to say that before I landed back home here in Illinois, I tested and got hired by agencies in Seattle and Louisville. I can tell you that there is a difference here in Illinois compared to other places. First off, lucky for me, I was applying to departments that had 50+ openings, so when they made a list, it was to hire. Some places here have to exhaust a list for two years just to hire one person. But the number and types of test I've seen people here complain about, like COPS, makes me think there may actually be something not quite right with the test. Also, the written test and the oral board to a department I applied to was scored, but they counted them as pass/fail. So if you made the list at any rate. You had a good shot at being hired, that happened to me. Barely passed the first OB, but was the first hiree. I feel for my brothers and sisters who literally have to apply for years to get hired. But at the very least, some are thankful they get hired.
        Preaching to the choir man. It's all very interesting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeChicagoDude View Post
          Were you reading the paper or standing next to and talking to someone about to run before we went on our run at the Accelerated building indoor soccer field?
          No, pretty much sat in my car, bored to hell for 5 1/2 hrs., except for a couple bathroom breaks.

Comment

Just renewed my NIPSTA power card today with about 300 other people all for only one time slot today. Hopefully my last power card until they summons me. $45 for the NIPSTA power card.
            Now it's $45? Christ on a corn dog. I remember when it was $20...

Comment

So how does getting the nipsta card work?!

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
                Now it's $45? Christ on a corn dog. I remember when it was $20...
                Yup, multiply that by about 250 to 300 or maybe more people yesterday and NIPSTA is feeling extra happy.

@KrayJack, you go to www.nipsta.org and click under the NIPSTA Power test tab to schedule yourself for an available time to take the power test. Usually they offer one power test date per month, and they usually offer different time slots (except for yesterday) as well.

If you pass and get your power card it doesn't have any expiration date, however most departments will accept power cards either 6 or 12 months from the date that your power card was issued. It's up to each individual department to determine how far back they're willing to accept the card. All departments do have a time frame in which they will accept your card. You can renew whenever you feel it's getting too far from the date on your current card.
                "I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Comment

Gotcha! So it's basically the same POWER exam as the one with CPD or the county?

Comment

Originally posted by KrayJack View Post
                    Gotcha! So it's basically the same POWER exam as the one with CPD or the county?
                    Same exact power test as CPD, but not Cook County.

County calls it the "physical ability" test and is such a watered down poor man's...unathletic man's...or woman's version of the already too easy POWER test. For Cook County they give you a whopping 16 plus minutes to run the 1.5 mile. You could speed walk that. As a male you only have to bench 52% of your bodyweight. I know girls and kindergartens who could bench more. And something odd like 20 sit ups in a minute if I remember correctly. I can do 20 sit ups in 20 seconds and donate the remaining 40 seconds off my time for someone less prepared for the test at the price of a small fee which can be discussed privately.

Cook County's physical ability test is pathetic and a joke.

You also have the option to get your power card at Triton College or the Joliet Junior College. I have a NIPSTA card and JJC power card from 2014, and my new NIPSTA from yesterday.

Comment

Okay. Thank you for the synopsis chicagodude. I went to the NIPSTA website and saw they have over 50 seats remaining for the April 18th date.

Comment

Originally posted by KrayJack View Post
                        Okay. Thank you for the synopsis chicagodude. I went to the NIPSTA website and saw they have over 50 seats remaining for the April 18th date.
                        We're totally hijacking this thread but oh well haha. You going to start testing at the burbs and other towns in the Chicagoland area?

Comment

We're totally hijacking this thread but oh well haha. You going to start testing at the burbs and other towns in the Chicagoland area?
                          Yea I'd say full 1970s style hijacking.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8402 users online. 357 members and 8045 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X