Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of State Lateral Transfer

Ladies/Gentlemen,

I've read what Illinois's Peace Officer Training site says, but looking for more practical insights. I'm a Missouri Deputy and looking for a lateral transfer back to Illinois where I was born in the next year or so. How does this work administratively for any officers who have dealt with that or pushed someone's waiver through? I'm again from the practical side, I saw what the website says.

By the way there's some serious dedication to this job in Ilinois. Looks like a lot of you have been pursuing this dream for a long time. Good luck guys, it is worth it.

Thanks,

No one replied so maybe I can help you out.

Before anyone can work as an LEO in this state you have to receive a waiver from the IL Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (http://www.ptb.state.il.us/). Most of the time, you get a waiver by completing the basic police training academy of which there are several throughout the state. The other way to get a waiver is to have training and experience commensurate with the IL training standards. As long as you can produce training and experience that is equivalent to the 480 hour academy, you should be able to get a waiver. Many Dept's will still choose to send you through the regular academy however. If given a waiver, you'd still be required to attend a short IL law course to get up to date on our statutes.

As for the process, you will need to go through the entry level hiring process like anyone else and at the time of being hired the Chief or other department administrator will have to confer with the ILETSB on a case by case basis to see where you will stand on getting a waiver or needing to be sent back to the academy.

The waivers do come pretty quickly when the chief sends out for them, the longest part of the hiring process is on the department's end.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Rteam2; 03-13-2015, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks man, I appreciate the detailed response. Nothing active now, might stay in my own state, but it's worth a look for me. Thanks for the advice again! Be safe out there!

Comment

If you can find an agency to hire you in Illinois, they request the waiver from the ILETSB. Once you get the waiver, you will have to take a four (4) hour [out-of-state / corrections] firearms crossover. Then, depending on your Missouri academy, you may only be required to take a forty (40) hour Law For Police training through your local MTU OR, the on-line version. My agency sponsored a Texas officer and later, an officer who hadn't worked in a few years; the process was essentially the same. The officer who hadn't worked in a while elected to take the on-line through The ILETSB Executive Institute.

It is up to the agency whether they will consider you a lateral or not and again, you must first be hired by an agency and they request the waiver for you. From the training board, these are on a case-by-case basis, but they usually honor other states academies and work experience.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, the processes and entire system for how entities recruit and hire officers in Illinois is so different from other areas I've lived. Application fees, fitness tests that cost money all to get a spot among hundreds of candidates who may be able to pass a test gauged on a 12th grade education. IMHO as an outsider, it seems this is a business.

I appreciate the advice and thanks for your time.

Comment

You wouldn't be wrong... I've never heard of a department that doesn't charge for applications and testing though, if that's not the case in your state then consider yourself lucky!

Some departments charge upwards of $50 for the application, $40 for the POWER test card, and another $10-$20 to get official transcripts from your schools. In my career I've probably spent close to $500 just applying for departments. It's a drop in the bucket overall, but completely foreign to anyone not in this line of work in this state.

I'm curious though, other than charging for an application, what is so different about our testing process? Do other states not do written tests, physical tests, psychological / medical exams, and background checks? That sounds like the bare minimum to me and I'd be surprised to find out that's not standard across the country.

The odds can be pretty rough but it's not that bad. To give you an example, I've taken tests where I was in the middle 100's on the list, and I've taken tests where I've been in the top 10 on the lists, and some written tests I've "failed" altogether (COPS and FIRE, cough cough). Every test is a little different so you have to test around to gauge where you're gonna be at. If you're consistently in the lower end of the list, you're going to have a tough time all around. I've never failed a psych test, but I have failed a polygraph test and passed others. The stars have to align but if you keep at it and test for a variety of departments it'll happen.
            Last edited by Rteam2; 03-17-2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

On the core things, no. Of course there's a BI, Psych, etc. In MO, you can self sponsor at the academy which gets the entity you work for out of paying for the academy. But it's where the money goes that's most interesting to me. There's this agency, NIPSTA, that gets money from the POWER tests, then there's a cartel of various public service "testing" companies that entities shop around for. Hundreds of people apply for the same spots, with which Id guess 50% have no place in a uniform. The entity gets the dough, and there's guys silly enough to keep applying even though they've had their DL revoked 3 different times. Are the requirements to even get in the door much to snuff at?

But I agree, $500.00 is a drop in the bucket. If this job is in your blood, you'd move mountains to get in.
              Last edited by rms0012; 03-17-2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rms0012 View Post
                Are the requirements to even get in the door much to snuff at?
                This varies hugely from town to town. Some towns want a bachelors minimum, some towns want a pulse. It is a pretty big racket but in the end I imagine I'd wind up paying less then having to pay for the academy myself.

Comment

That's probably true. Thanks for all the insight guys. Good luck to all those trying to get the badge pinned on.

Comment

Originally posted by rms0012 View Post
                    That's probably true. Thanks for all the insight guys. Good luck to all those trying to get the badge pinned on.
                    Try one of the railroads. Being certified will get you a heads up. Norfolk Southern, BNSF and Union Pacific tend to hire pretty often for the Chicagoland area.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I thought about that too, having been involved in conventional policing for a bit I wouldn't mind doing something more specialized.

Comment

The NIPSTA Power test card is a good thing for the agency. A town would have to have people on OT giving the test. And the power test that NIPSTA gives is bullet proof to lawsuits. So it's a win win to have the applicants pay $40 for a power test card that is good for a year.

The written tests are also tests that have stood up to lawsuits. A town paying $ XX for a testing company to give the test is also a no brainer and protects the town from legal challenges. And since the town pays the testing company to administer the test and handle the application process, there is a cost for it that gets passed down to the applicant.

As far as no self sponsor for the Academy in Illinois. It keeps down a pool of unemployed and (if not hired within a year) certified applicants whose cert. turns into a pumpkin, making it necessary to go through the academy again. Plus if you self sponsor and are not hired immediately, you don't go through an FTO and lose the things that were taught to you in school. There is absolutely no reason to train people that are not Police recruits, possibly not employable as Police Officers, and glutting a market with more people than jobs.

In Illinois, a Dept. is reimbursed by the State for the cost of the Academy, but not the Recruits pay, or his pay during FTO.
                        Last edited by ChiTownDet; 03-18-2015, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Just renewed my NIPSTA power card today with about 300 other people all for only one time slot today. Hopefully my last power card until they summons me. $45 for the NIPSTA power card.
                          "I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Comment

Originally posted by SomeChicagoDude View Post
                            Just renewed my NIPSTA power card today with about 300 other people all for only one time slot today. Hopefully my last power card until they summons me. $45 for the NIPSTA power card.
                            Drove someone there also. Took forever for him to get done.
                            Last edited by ChiTownDet; 03-18-2015, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                              The NIPSTA Power test card is a good thing for the agency. A town would have to have people on OT giving the test. And the power test that NIPSTA gives is bullet proof to lawsuits. So it's a win win to have the applicants pay $40 for a power test card that is good for a year.

The written tests are also tests that have stood up to lawsuits. A town paying $ XX for a testing company to give the test is also a no brainer and protects the town from legal challenges. And since the town pays the testing company to administer the test and handle the application process, there is a cost for it that gets passed down to the applicant.

As far as no self sponsor for the Academy in Illinois. It keeps down a pool of unemployed and (if not hired within a year) certified applicants whose cert. turns into a pumpkin, making it necessary to go through the academy again. Plus if you self sponsor and are not hired immediately, you don't go through an FTO and lose the things that were taught to you in school. There is absolutely no reason to train people that are not Police recruits, possibly not employable as Police Officers, and glutting a market with more people than jobs.

In Illinois, a Dept. is reimbursed by the State for the cost of the Academy, but not the Recruits pay, or his pay during FTO.

Not here to get into a debate over POST policy. Just commenting on the differences after I was asked. Being born and raised in a north side suburb of Chicago, I'm not surprised at how litigious all of this has become.

Thanks for the advice all. This is going to be a real cluster f&$@.
                              Last edited by rms0012; 03-18-2015, 06:39 PM. Reason: Don't want to sound like a dick.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8790 users online. 389 members and 8401 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X