Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious, how far is everyone willing to travel for a department?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take into consideration future specialty spots that may require an on-call status (crash investigator, detective, major crimes, etc...)

Your commute time could become an issue when your phone beeps for a 3am death investigation and you've got an hour drive ahead of you.

Comment

Like previous people have mentioned, it's what you make of it. I live in the city and was with a department in the SW Suburbs and on a good day it would take me 1hr 45 min one way. It was rough and I hated every minute of it but eventually got used to it. The miles on my car and gas prices, not so much. Needless to say, I stuck with the dept for a little over a year and eventually moved on. I do not miss the commute lol.

Comment

For me I would say 15-20 minutes. I live in the city I work in so I'm lucky enough to have like a 3-minute drive to and from work, and I'm able to stop at my house on shift if I have to. It's especially nice since we work 12-hour shifts. I think it just depends on where you work and how long your shifts are, though. Big cities mean big traffic and longer commute times. I couldn't imagine driving over an hour to work, working a 12, then driving over an hour home. It'd basically be work and sleep. I would hate that.

Comment

My commute ranges from 45 minutes without traffic to about 70 minutes with traffic. I don't mind the drive to work at night, but the hour+ drive in the morning when I'm tired and want to get to bed is pretty rough at times. It's the price I pay for wanting to live in the suburbs where there's more to do versus working farther out in a more rural area.

Comment

I've lived 15 minutes (current commute), 35 minutes, and an hour from my cop job. I'm jealous of the guys that live in town and go home on break. For me anything over 1 hour was really tough. The commute was 36 miles one way and it wasn't a really easy drive, although not too much traffic. For some reason leaving for work over an hour before for a shift just felt like it really extended my day. I ended up getting offered a great job shortly after I bought a really nice house 15 minutes from my current job. Problem was it would have turned my 14 mile one way commute into a 48 mile one way commute. That commute also required driving to the north shore burbs where traffic obviously is much worse adding to commute time, and stress of running late to work. I ended up turning down the job and still wonder from time to time if I made the right call. Their PD was much larger, lots more opportunity, and salary topped out at 25k more than where I am. The pay difference is a bit smaller when I figure I would have been replacing cars a lot more frequently, gas expenses, and tolls but still pretty crazy difference in pay. It would have been a minimum 15 hour day with driving. If I moved closer, I wouldn't have as nice of a home, and I'd have to spend a lot more for it. When I think back at how much I hated the 36 mile trip, I know I made the right decision. Some people can handle it..one guy was making a 60 mile commute to work at the PD I was offered the job at. For me I know I would have been miserable everyday before even getting to work probably no matter how much money I was making.

Comment

Depends on your hours. If your going to be driving in traffic back and forth I wouldn't put up with anything more than 20-30 minute commute. I hate traffic with a passion and have been lucky to work for a department where we start and finish after all the traffic clears.

That said... I travel 45 minutes each way where I basically crank up the tunes and turn on the cruise control my whole ride. Nice and relaxing.... Right now I'm considering moving farther away (1 hour to 1 hour 15 min) due to the fact that I can buy a 3000 sq ft house in the mid 200's with decent taxes. Unlike anything near my work area where your paying 300,000 for a 1500 sq ft gut job.

It's all about what you want and what your willing to sacrifice. If your working 10-12 hour shifts, who cares about an extra hour drive, your honestly not going to accomplish much when you get home anyways. Yes I do basically work and sleep on my shift days, but when you work 12's theres way less work days in the year so it's not a deal breaker for me or the wifey.

Best of luck to you and your travels...
              Last edited by axelfoley4; 02-26-2015, 10:54 AM.
              Alex: You do what you are Jezzie.

Jezzie: You mean you are what you do.

Alex: No, I mean, you do what you are. You're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted. You don't betray it.

Jezzie: What if you do, betray your gift?

Alex: Then you betray yourself. That's a sad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by axelfoley4 View Post
                Depends on your hours. If your going to be driving in traffic back and forth I wouldn't put up with anything more than 20-30 minute commute.

Not every hour is created equal. I used to be at a department just north of the city and it would take me at least 1hr to go the 20 miles to get downtown. Absolute, complete misery. I have since moved to the burbs and my new department is 50 miles away but it still takes an hour. For me 1 hour on the toll way doing 65 is way better than 1 hour on the parking lot we call the Kennedy doing 15mph.

So you need to not only look at the time but the type of time.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsmsg View Post
                  Not every hour is created equal. I used to be at a department just north of the city and it would take me at least 1hr to go the 20 miles to get downtown. Absolute, complete misery. I have since moved to the burbs and my new department is 50 miles away but it still takes an hour. For me 1 hour on the toll way doing 65 is way better than 1 hour on the parking lot we call the Kennedy doing 15mph.

So you need to not only look at the time but the type of time.
                  ^Very good point. My 1 hour/40-50 mile reference was for example the Reagan Memorial (I-88 West) from the South, definitely not the Kennedy during the rush hour (which is 24/7 on that stretch lol). That's a whole 'nother ball game!

Comment

63 miles round trip... 45-60 min on way in 45 on the way out. Good wind down time and I listen to audiobooks on the way home, so it's not a complete waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                      They own a nice house. They tend to try and sleep local one night out of the rotation.
                      You either deal with it or not.
                      3 hours one way makes no sense. why don't they just move closer?
                      Last edited by theagent6; 03-01-2015, 11:14 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9712 users online. 465 members and 9247 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X