Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious, how far is everyone willing to travel for a department?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious, how far is everyone willing to travel for a department?

I was just wondering what the consensus is about traveling for work. How far are you willing to travel? What do you consider too far?

I'm on the fence about driving an hour away. That's one way. Being new I would most likely be working overnight, so traffic shouldn't be that bad. It's just 2 hours a day driving. That's kinda rough.

thanks

I've driven further than that, but I don't like to. An hour is in the "doable" range for me, but I much prefer a shorter commute.

Comment

Last edited by atsteele; 02-23-2015, 07:37 PM. Reason: oopps

Comment

Originally posted by atsteele View Post
        Sorry, I meant on a daily basis.

Comment

An hour is nothing... I work with guys who commute 3 hours one way.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            An hour is nothing... I work with guys who commute 3 hours one way.
            that's crazy. the money they are wasting on gas.

Comment

They own a nice house. They tend to try and sleep local one night out of the rotation.
              You either deal with it or not.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                You either deal with it or not.
                best advice I've heard lol

Comment

I say 40-50 miles (commute) max for me if I had to in the beginning. Than I would just rent a place within 15 miles or so. I guess it's different though if you can't just pick up and move (house, wife, kids' schools, etc.). An hour is very reasonable though if you have a little patience. I like to drive, but that's just me!
                  Last edited by southpaw13; 02-23-2015, 08:07 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Anything over 15 min is too far for me.

Comment

40 mins the most.

Comment

I've driven over an hour one way plenty. Three hours home with traffic, after a 12 hour day. Like anything else, it's what you make of it.

Comment

Depends on how bad you want the job.

Comment

My commute for both departments I've worked is about 11-15 miles, which translated to 20-30 minutes.

I remember driving 40 miles to a department for an lateral interview and the entire drive I kept telling myself there's no way possible I can do this everyday.

For me commute is extremely important. Wasting hours driving to and from work isn't worth it to me. Some guys take anywhere from 20-30 hours a month in commute time. I much rather use that time doing something else.
                            Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

With housing prices as high as they are in the Los Angeles Metro area, we've had officers drive 100 miles and more one way each day. Some routinely take the train up and back from San Diego or inland from Riverside and beyond.

Ditto when I was assigned to San Francisco. We had officers commuting back and forth from Sacramento (80 miles one way) on a daily basis.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8369 users online. 356 members and 8013 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X