Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
    Don't forget you need the NIPSTA card to test with Oak Lawn
    They are taking JJC and Triton power tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Turdferguson View Post
      Pension from CPD will not transfer. CPD pension is it's own, Oak Lawn is part of the Down State fund. Two completely different systems.
      Can I buy my time back?

Comment

Since it's a different system, I doubt you can buy your time back. May want to call and speak with one of the Pension reps at Oak Lawn. Sorry don't have a definite answer for you.

Comment

Take my advice, apply elsewhere. You do not want to work at Oak Lawn PD>

Comment

Why you say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Steelydan View Post
              Take my advice, apply elsewhere. You do not want to work at Oak Lawn PD>
              Care to explain..?

Comment

Insanely political department. You've gotta know the right Sergeants, Commanders, the Chief, etc, in order to get *anywhere*. The most qualified people are not where they should be. Guys who couldn't run a solid traffic stop are being sent to Tac, and are officer safety risks, etc.

Their dispatch was outsourced, and was terrible last year. They've improved and about half of them are solid. The other half are officer safety risks.

The pay is decent, especially after 3 years, but agencies in Northern Cook or DuPage county pay better. And there will be more opportunities for you to shine and get rewarded for hard work. Oak Lawn there aren't too many.

Be prepared to do traffic stops. Lots.

And not to mention quite a few micromanagers for Sergeants and Watch Commanders.

It's not all bad though. Decent pay, a sworn officer job, a pension, 8-hour shifts, and close to a tollway.

Comment

^spot on and nailed it, I've heard the same thing from multiple sources. Unless you know someone or have a PhD, your application will be looked at and thrown away. I would look elsewhere!

Comment

Steeley, you're not going to sway many people from applying with Oak Lawn. Two years ago I know I wouldn't have been. All of the issues you mentioned are common among suburban departments. Naperville, Palos Heights, Orland Park, it doesnt matter the town they're all the same -- politically run, micromanaged, yet well paying. You just can't avoid it! I know several officers at all of the aforementioned departments and they all tell the same story. There's no perfect department, only perfect spots.

Far as OL, they wont extend far into their lists. A friend of mine ranked overall in the 20's this last list and never heard anything. He was certified yet had less than 3 yrs OTJ which was required to be considered a lateral.
                    Last edited by NEC1234; 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Arbiter, tell us more about what you "heard". Grow up and speak with an officer, see if you can do a ride along. Base your opinions on your own known facts.

Comment

Where I work we are allowed to do police work. No micro managing where you have to watch every little thing you do. One of the few laid back police departments that exist in the Chicago area.

I'm looking into Oak Lawn and I am doing my research. 6 and 3 days are rough though.

Guys who are looking to get hired look into Decatur, IL also. Very proactive place and you get to work. 40 mins from Bloomington, IL. Cost of living is cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Turdferguson View Post
                          Arbiter, tell us more about what you "heard". Grow up and speak with an officer, see if you can do a ride along. Base your opinions on your own known facts.
                          You don't know me dude... I'm friends with a couple of the guys and went on two ride a longs after meeting with the chief. I didn't say the officers suck or the department blows... Good luck to anyone that applies but like I said steely hit the nail on the spot, it would be an awesome job to get but you would have to be very lucky. Sorry if that ruins ur hopes and dreams dude. Learn to read kid and if anything YOU need to go on a couple ride a longs lol!

Comment

Hey again all,

Okay, before this thread gets completely derailed - and due to numerous PMs- I'd like to address a few things. However, first I'd like to make it clear that my opinion is in no way more important than anyone else who has posted....just keep in mind the basis and facts behind my opinions:

For those who are NOT certified LEOs- Before you go home and do a murder/suicide with your puppy dog because you don't have any "juice" in Oak Lawn. Relax. Oak Lawn goes down their list and does not "skip around" or "pick and choose". Keep in mind, laterals and military points can cause changes in positions; but picking and choosing does NOT happen. I was hired on in Oak Lawn because I worked my *** off to be the best applicant I could be. I, like most of our new hires, was not from Oak Lawn nor did I know a soul here before getting on. Be very careful when you hear things like: "Well, I know guys.../"have done a ride along"/"I cut the chief's grass". Ya dig?. Focus on being the best applicant you can be and go from there. Our test is hard and our field training program is intensive and sucks at times but we have a reputation and take pride in it. Nothing else should really matter to you guys at this point. Good luck to you if you choose to try for Oak Lawn.

For my LEO bros/sisters- Yes, you can be the police in OL. We are a hands on-dept and are given immense latitude and what you can do and when you can do it. We have $500 Village Ordinance citations that we can issue on-scene for such things as retail thefts/pot/disorderly WITHOUT making an arrest (if you choose) and tying you up for an hr. I have never felt micromanaged in the least, however, there are Sgts known for being more hands on than others. Maybe that's what was meant? But if you're not an idiot, there shouldn't be any issue. I'm a bit confused by the traffic stop comment made, though. Maybe he confused us with our neighbors to the east? If you want your max 5 points on the "traffic enforcement" section of your annual eval then you need to make an average of (1) traffic stop per shift (tickets/parkers don't matter). If you don't want 5 points, then make a traffic stop every three shifts if you want, who cares? In 2013 we were #9 for DUI arrests in the state, but that was due to 3-4 guys. Maybe that's where the confusion came from? If you don't like writing tickets, don't apply for traffic unit.

Our NORCOMM dispatch is not, and never will be, as good as it was with Oak Lawn Central at the helm. FACT. But, you adapt and overcome until something changes.

As for ability to move up/around, in the last few months alone we have had openings for detectives, K9, 2 E/T spots, SRO, DARE and 2 SSERT spots. These positions have gone to guys from 4yrs on all the way upto about 10yrs on (some spots are still open). When I was 7 y/o my mom had a name for "but I didn't get the spot because I didn't suck up to XYZ like s/he did...she called called it whining.

If any of my LEO bros/sis have a question about things like the above, shoot me a PM with your WORK email and I will send you a non-descript email back with my number.

Last thing I want to seem like is a recruiter for Oak Lawn. Because I'm not and don't really think the 999 other people who apply will care if you do or don't. But, just wanted to clear our my PMs and be as helpful as I could be. Once again, good luck to all!

If anyone else has a general question go for it, I'll try to come on here a little more often than I have.

If I have offended anyone please submit the below form to the office of the Rev. A. Sharpton

Comment

Hey everyone, I am currently in the pre-employment process for oak lawn. I took the exam, physical, and oral interview in 2013. PLEASE BE AWARE: I am not here to share my opinions on the department, spread hear-say or rumors, or speculate on anything having to do with why or how they do things. I use this forum purely to obtain information on hiring processes and hopefully I can give anyone who is interested, some insight into how my process has gone thus far. I AM STILL IN THE PRE-EMPLOYMENT PROCESS AND WOULD RATHER NOT SHARE ANY INFORMATION AS TO WHAT STEP I AM ON OR HOW THEY WORK THIS PROCESS. So if you have any questions about how the TESTING process went for me in 2013, feel free to PM me! Good luck to everyone out there...and remember, never listen to nay-sayers. Work your butt off and stay straight and hopefully we all get there. Thanks...oh and wish me luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gabe_chicago View Post
                                Hey everyone, I am currently in the pre-employment process for oak lawn. I took the exam, physical, and oral interview in 2013. PLEASE BE AWARE: I am not here to share my opinions on the department, spread hear-say or rumors, or speculate on anything having to do with why or how they do things. I use this forum purely to obtain information on hiring processes and hopefully I can give anyone who is interested, some insight into how my process has gone thus far. I AM STILL IN THE PRE-EMPLOYMENT PROCESS AND WOULD RATHER NOT SHARE ANY INFORMATION AS TO WHAT STEP I AM ON OR HOW THEY WORK THIS PROCESS. So if you have any questions about how the TESTING process went for me in 2013, feel free to PM me! Good luck to everyone out there...and remember, never listen to nay-sayers. Work your butt off and stay straight and hopefully we all get there. Thanks...oh and wish me luck!!
                                Gabe_chicago, I tried PMing you. Are your messages on?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6925 users online. 300 members and 6625 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X